Xian FBC-1/JH-7 Flying Leopard

GreenDragon

I was planning to do a Revell 1/72nd Heinkel He219 as a jet bomber for my second whif in this GB but I found this while digging for bits and decided to do a quick whif in case I can't finish the more complicated builds.

Trumpeter 1/72nd Xian FBC-1/JH-7 (not sure of the scheme or country yet). Box pic.

2010_0823Senryu-ish0006.jpg

Airframe is pretty much done though I had a disaster. Stupidly stuck the nose weight in with Revell Plasto and glued it on before the stuff had set and it promptly ate through the nose cone!

Haven't done that since I was little but should be able to recover coz I made a hole so the plasto can set up now hopefully it will harden enough to fill by tomorow.

Paul Harrison

Me too! My own fault, I usually use bluetack or plasticene for sticking the weights in but the Plasto was closer! Think the nose cone is OK. Gave the plane a coat of Humbrol 196 (which doesn't come out the anywhere close to the colour of the lid!) because I'm out of primer.

2010_0826Senryu-ish0003.jpg

Paul Harrison

Hey Paul, that is look good

I bought one of these as well to do a What If. Thoug I don't think it will surface her for this GB since you have started yours.

I am not sure about a scheme either, though to me it looks Jaguarish and perhaps one of the countries that operated the Jag could be a possibility.

Hey Paul, that is look good

I bought one of these as well to do a What If. Thoug I don't think it will surface her for this GB since you have started yours.

I am not sure about a scheme either, though to me it looks Jaguarish and perhaps one of the countries that operated the Jag could be a possibility.

I have always thought that the FBC1 look like the illegitimate love child of a Jaguar and a Tornado...

(By all accounts it is short of the performance of either!)

Thanks everyone! Lee you must be a mind reader coz if I can source the decals it'll be Iranian! Forgot to say that it goes together very easily and the only filler I needed (so far!) was to repair the nose cone I knackered. One warning though, if you are anything like me the wing tip missile rails WILL be snapped off many times! I keep putting them back on and snapping them off again.

Paul Harrison

• 2 weeks later...

I've got some extremely old Airfix F-5A decals from the 1970's but reckon they're past it! Hannants have some for Phantoms and F-14's so I'll probably order them and hand paint anything extra that's needed.

Paul Harrison

I've got some extremely old Airfix F-5A decals from the 1970's but reckon they're past it! Hannants have some for Phantoms and F-14's so I'll probably order them and hand paint anything extra that's needed.

Paul Harrison

They'll be Imperial Iranian Air Force, then. Does the Iranian Islamic Air Force use the same national marking?

If they were the same those F-5A roundels were tiny IIRC.

I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been changed with the regime change.

Thanks for the offer Ray but I'm getting the Hidecal F-14 sheet from Hannants, it has a couple of US aggressor shemes on it too, cheers mate!

Gaz, you're right they are Imperial era but all that was added to the national markings are some red bits to the Flag, roundels stayed the same and the IIAF was changed to IRIAF.

Paul Harrison

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully be finished this week. Camo is nearly all done just got to finish the canopy frames. The HiDecal sheet has all the Iranian Air Force F-14 roundels including the new strange ones that look a bit like the Pah Wraith emblems from Star Trek:Deep Space Nine.

After paint and decals there's just the pylons and weapons to bung on.

No piccies coz it will give away to much of the final look.

Paul Harrison

Edited by GreenDragon

• 2 weeks later...

Just trying to source last couple of decals, everything else is done so hopefully pics tommorow or Friday.

Paul Harrison

Not too good with the digi camera but here is my Republic of Iran Navy FBC-1 Flying Leopard.

The FBC-1 was bought by Iran to give the Navy a faster strike platform than their P-3 orions. The plane is shown just after the over throwing of the Islamic Republic of Iran having the first "I" removed from it's Naval titles and before the red logo was painted over on it's tail flag. It is armed with PL-5 AAMs and YJ-82/C-802 Anti Ship Missiles

2010_1021FBC-10007.jpg

2010_1021FBC-10004.jpg

2010_1021FBC-10001.jpg

2010_1021FBC-10003.jpg

I bought hidecals F-14 sheet for the markings but I ended up only using the tail Flag with the new IRIAF logo on it that looks a bit like a Pah Wraith logo from Star Trek:Deep Space 9. The rest are from the FBC-1, a Matchbox F-4 Phantom and an ancient Airfix F-5A set. It was supposed to be IRI Navy but I didn't have enough I's!

Paints were all Games Workshop Acrylics, kit was built OOB except for markings.

Paul Harrison