1/72 Fujimi 111 Sqn Phantom FG1

P1010419.jpg

P1010420.jpg

P1010421.jpg

P1010423.jpg

P1010426.jpg

This is one of the 1/72 Fujimi Phantoms, virtually OOB, except for Aeroclub seats, Airwaves cockpit stuff, and some Modeldecal bits and pieces. Too many models of the FG1 or FGR2 are blue/black/chequered/coloured tailed etc. Here's your bog standard QRA workhorse, circa 1983, tooled up with Sidewinders and Skyflashes. Brush painted with Xtracrylics, then finished off with a matt varnish from a can courtesy of Homebase. I'm totally disillusioned with airbrushes, and my inability to get them to do what others seem to manage without too much effort - so it's back to basics.

Following Flyingmedics thread, I'm toying with doing a series "The flying career I planned". My aim was end up on Phantoms, hopefully flying from Leuchars, which is near where I was born and grew up. However, I got the chop while flying JP3s @ Church Fenton, so that was that. The full series would be: Chipmunk, JP3, JP5, Hawk (4 FTS), Hawk (TWCU), Phantom OCU (228 Sqn), finally reaching operational status on the mighty FG1. Might finish in about 10 years going at my current rate . . . .

Edited by Stramash
  • Like 2

That is a thing of beauty. Lovely build!

I too grew up near Leuchars & spent most of my schooldays getting told off for gazing out the window at Phantoms but I reckon that's what encouraged me to into building model aircraft & eventually joining the RAF. 25 years later I ended up back at Leuchars on F3s!

Good luck with the other builds in your series.... does that count as a "Whatif" or more of an "If only"?!

That is a thing of beauty. Lovely build!

I too grew up near Leuchars & spent most of my schooldays getting told off for gazing out the window at Phantoms but I reckon that's what encouraged me to into building model aircraft & eventually joining the RAF. 25 years later I ended up back at Leuchars on F3s!

Good luck with the other builds in your series.... does that count as a "Whatif" or more of an "If only"?!

Good for you - you probably know a couple of my contemporaries from Cranwell who ended up on F3s with 111!

Definitely an "if only" project . . .

Brilliant finish and nice to see a fellow modeller who feels the same way I do about brush painting!

I have almost finished my Fujimi F4M Shark teeth version and am about to add the ordnance and those drop tanks.

I like to use a wide flat brush on mine with plenty of nice thin coats and a light rub down with the Micro mesh graded pads, plus a couple of coats of clear.

Hopefully because i'm on holiday next week i'll have it on here.

All the best

Martin

Thats really nice and I agree with you about the `fancy coloured' Phantoms...I remember seeing Leuchars based Phantoms patrolling and chasing off Jaguars, Harrier GR 3`s and other `mud movers' whilst on the ground in Scotland during Ex Purple Warrior in 1987.....fantastic stuff.

Don`t worry about being `chopped' on the JP3 either.....a friend of mine who worked with me in the Police was also chopped on JP3`s so joined the Cop`s instead.........but since then je has gained his private helicopter licence and later on took a sabbatical to qualify on twin engined aircraft and is now looking for a job with the airlines!!!

Could I please ask which matt varnish you used from Homebase too..... as I`m another brush painter and on the look out for a decent matt varnish?

All the best

Tony

Yeap, done the "Career that should have been" builds as well....Tucano, Hawk, HS125, Tornado F3.......if only I hadn't been so thick / dyslexic!

Manage to fly a PA28 no worries though!

Cheers

Col'

Interesting . . . my flying now consists of trundling about in a PA28 as well!

Thats really nice and I agree with you about the `fancy coloured' Phantoms...I remember seeing Leuchars based Phantoms patrolling and chasing off Jaguars, Harrier GR 3`s and other `mud movers' whilst on the ground in Scotland during Ex Purple Warrior in 1987.....fantastic stuff.

Don`t worry about being `chopped' on the JP3 either.....a friend of mine who worked with me in the Police was also chopped on JP3`s so joined the Cop`s instead.........but since then je has gained his private helicopter licence and later on took a sabbatical to qualify on twin engined aircraft and is now looking for a job with the airlines!!!

Could I please ask which matt varnish you used from Homebase too..... as I`m another brush painter and on the look out for a decent matt varnish?

All the best

Tony

Tony,

It's called Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear. Can't remember exactly how much it cost, but seem to recall it was about 7 quid. Quite pricey, but pretty good, although fierce pressure when you first use it. Make sure wee bits are well taped down to a board when spraying! Takes a while to dry as well, but good finish.

Cracking build that. Well done.

Got one in the stash, but have ordered Ark Royal Phantom decals for it, as I don't do grey!

That'll be a grey FG1 then!

Nicely done FG1 innit?

Sweet Toom, always gottas like a 111 bird, well done.

JB.