1/48 Eduard BF110C- Who doesn't like a shark mouth? FINISHED

3 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

I've seen lots of techniques for brush painting mottle, and tried a few but never got the results I'd hoped for. This technique using pastels looks fantastic to me and may work for you as it's a dark over light scheme. Whatever you choose, I'd advise practice to see whether you can achieve what you're looking for.

I happen to prefer the sharkmouth scheme, but it's your model!

Thank you, that's very interesting and a technique I would never have thought of using. Well, would never have thought of to be honest. 

Thanks for the "vote" for the sharkmouth too. SWMBO also prefers that one, says the other one is boring.

have done some digging on the black colour scheme, it is interesting and that's the appeal. I will keep thinking whether I could do it justice or not. 

Cheers. 

• Like 1

Well, the sharkmouth is mean looking and all sorts of classy, but this black one looks tempting too. Just a light mottle in the fins, and it shouldn't be too hard to do, even with a hairy stick.

Why don't you have a go at them and see how it turns out?

If it doesn't work out to your satisfaction you can always switch back to the straight lines of the Sharkmouth :)

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

Well, the sharkmouth is mean looking and all sorts of classy, but this black one looks tempting too. Just a light mottle in the fins, and it shouldn't be too hard to do, even with a hairy stick.

Why don't you have a go at them and see how it turns out?

If it doesn't work out to your satisfaction you can always switch back to the straight lines of the Sharkmouth :)

Hi Christer 

It is really tempting as it gives me something else to try. 

I'm going to practice on some scrap bits over the next few days and see how they come out. I do have an idea it's just whether it works in practice.

I guess I should really start building but I want to get the scheme nailed down before I do. I'm weird like that.... 

Thanks again 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gazza l said:

Personally I'd go for the sharks mouth,  but it's your model... whatever you decide,  I'll look forward to seeing the build progress.

gazza l

Thanks mate, hoping to get an hour practicing some mottle tonight so that should make the decision for me. 

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

Watching this with interest. I'm hoping to build one of these with the big waspy/hornety thing on the nose if I can find the decals.

Looks great with that on the nose doesn't it? Its not too good if you want to display the nose guns though as the wasp covers the access. 

I've done some modelling this evening and it was the most frustrating ever. I tried the mottle. Soon gave it up as a bad job. 

I've copped out so Sharkmouth it is! 

I will have to build another one when I get an airbrush sorted. That's a shame. 

Have a good evening folks. 

Building coming soon. 

• Like 1

When mottling with a brush, thin the paint a fair bit first & stipple it on lightly, don't try & do it all at once, it may take several sessions to build up the effect you won't & when you think it needs just a little more is a good time to stop, so I found out on the tail of my Fw 190 build last year. Practice on an old kit or some scrap pays dividends.

DSCF2740

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

When mottling with a brush, thin the paint a fair bit first & stipple it on lightly, don't try & do it all at once, it may take several sessions to build up the effect you won't & when you think it needs just a little more is a good time to stop, so I found out on the tail of my Fw 190 build last year. Practice on an old kit or some scrap pays dividends.

DSCF2740.jpg

Steve.

Thanks steve. 

I did thin the paint a lot but I didn't like the way it came out. To be honest it's the tiniest amount of mottling so it's not a big deal but I just didn't like it. I wouldn't be happy with how it would look. 

I guess there is another way, I could buy a mottle mask template and use a rattle can. That might work. 

• Like 1

Good evening all

I have finally made a start and plastic has been stuck together! Hooray!!

So as a refresher as to how far the build got. 

20170607_192433_zpsk5iohoie.jpg

And here are the parts that prevented me from going further. 

20170607_192516_zpsp2lths6q.jpg

And here is part 53 off of the sprue. 

20170607_192648_zpsyrilgrio.jpg

I had visions of it dropping into the jaws of the carpet monster and would have just been my luck. 

Here they are both fitted. This step has taken weeks to get to! I'm wanting to take my time with this build and Do a really good job but crikey never imagined it would take this long. 

20170607_192900_zpspccyottk.jpg

I've stuck this to the cockpit floor, the pilots seat is in and part of the control column to the right hand side of the seat has been fitted too. 

It's had a coat of RLM02 too! Instrument panel and foot pedals next so photos to follow when I've got more done. 

Have a good one guys 

• Like 5

Evening guys 

Got cracking last night and got a tad more done tonight. 

Really impressed with the Eduard kit so far. The PE is great.

Pilots part of the pit is done 

20170608_195340_zpstrjk46cg.jpg

20170608_195347_zpsphr87gin.jpg

20170608_195358_zpsx4eiqqtm.jpg

And the last one. The IP is really nice. Took some sorting as the PE is tiny but we'll worth the time spent doing it. 

20170608_195421_zpsiwb6b6jm.jpg

Will spend some more time over the next few days and post some more updates when I have something to show. 

Next part looks fiddly....

SWMBO dropped out earlier she's working away for.3 days in a week or so. As soon as the kids are in bed there's going to be some serious time devoted to the build!! 

I will miss her. Of course. 

Edited by Antb
  • Like 10

A great start, that cockpit looks fantastic.  I do like these Profipack editions, every thing is in the kit, which makes them great value.

I can't wait to start my G4 kit now.

gazza l

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gazza l said:

A great start, that cockpit looks fantastic.  I do like these Profipack editions, every thing is in the kit, which makes them great value.

I can't wait to start my G4 kit now.

gazza l

Thanks Gazza. I'd definitely buy another profipack kit. 

If if you find you're missing the antenna sprue from your kit, let me know, I might have one laying around somewhere ;)

8 hours ago, Antb said:

Thanks Gazza. I'd definitely buy another profipack kit. 

If if you find you're missing the antenna sprue from your kit, let me know, I might have one laying around somewhere ;)

Thanks for the offer Antb, but I treated myself to a set of turned brass dipoles... should be fun gluing them together!!!

gazza l

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gazza l said:

Thanks for the offer Antb, but I treated myself to a set of turned brass dipoles... should be fun gluing them together!!!

gazza l

Ha ha, can't give it away ;)

looking forward to seeing it when hen you get round to it mate 

• Like 1

Hi guys

Have been working a little bit at a time over the past few days and this is where I'm at. 

I have painted the insides of the fuselage and the wash is drying. Have the PE to add to the fuselage sides and the ammunition drums to the rear of the pit then I can get her buttoned up. 

20170610_212739_zpsigcovdta.jpg

20170610_212750_zps1rdstzwi.jpg

20170610_212804_zpsbzqqrdx2.jpg

20170610_212809_zpsxizy73kl.jpg

20170610_212821_zpsridqf5ux.jpg

20170610_213103_zpsaxbprdt1.jpg

20170610_235316_zpscatnjlm3.jpg

20170610_235341_zpsfnezpboe.jpg

20170610_235350_zps50weeoxz.jpg

And last off the cannon underneath the fuselage. I'm displaying these open and not adding the panels. Would be a shame not to really. 

20170611_170145_zpsaykmoh8g.jpg

I'm enjoying the build. It's fiddly in places but it fits together nicely. 

The fuselage will be interesting as there aren't any connecting pins. Seems the cockpit tub is what holds the fuselage in place so we will see how that goes. 

Hope you enjoy the update any feedback is always appreciated. 

• Like 7

Thanks very much chaps. 

Just glued the fuselage together, a little bit of gappage (if that's even a word) but will let everything set and get clamping to see if I can squeeze everything together to fit. Not too bad for now though 

Morning guys 

Bit of outage it seems! 

A very quick update this morning showing the fit of the fuselage halves. 

Here's after initial gluing 

20170611_203916_zpsqhddr7h9.jpg

20170611_203924_zpszutzgwty.jpg

20170611_203934_zpslxx5xs53.jpg

Not a bad fit at all. 

After more gluing and clamping here's where were at 

20170612_072743_zpsq8ficrzy.jpg

A touch of filler and were good to go! 

Nose guns next! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lesthegringo said:

I built the Dragon version and thought it was pretty good especially in the fit department.  This looks very similar, I may get one just for curiosity 

Won't be as good as this though, nice job!

Les

Ah I don't know about that Lea. I'm sure you'll do a smashing job of it. 

Thanks for the comments. Really appreciated :D