Airfix 1/72 North American Mustang IV - P-51 Mustang STGB - quick build (just over a week)

Hi Paul. You are very kind! :blush:

Ah another model railway person! Excellent! Any particular gauge, era or area? I was always N Gauge & GWR as first choice but I enjoyed doing some BR stuff too.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 3 weeks later...

wimbledon99 said:  

I think I completely missed this Stix!! Can't believe the result in just a week. Fantastic!! :clap2::clap2:

Hi Nigel. Thank you for your comment. For some reason your comment appeared in my email but not here.

Don't worry about missing stuff here on on Britmodeller - I frequently find myself spotting stuff later.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

wimbledon99 said:  

I think I completely missed this Stix!! Can't believe the result in just a week. Fantastic!! :clap2::clap2:

Hi Nigel. Thank you for your comment. For some reason your comment appeared in my email but not here.

Don't worry about missing stuff here on on Britmodeller - I frequently find myself spotting stuff later.

Kind regards,

Stix 

Hi Stix,

I'm going to have to confess here. After I left the above comment I thought the build looked familiar. I then realised I had seen it and that I had previously left comments in the WIP. I then hid the above in case you thought I was going bonkers (but it looks like you saw it anyhow)!! :lol::lol:

Oh well, just put it down to a 'CRAFT' moment ;)

Cheers

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/24/2017 at 09:49, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Stix,

I'm going to have to confess here. After I left the above comment I thought the build looked familiar. I then realised I had seen it and that I had previously left comments in the WIP. I then hid the above in case you thought I was going bonkers (but it looks like you saw it anyhow)!! :lol::lol:

Oh well, just put it down to a 'CRAFT' moment ;)

Cheers

Hi Nigel. I know this is a long time after your reply above but I'd managed to forget about your comment until someone just 'liked' my original RFI post!! I was a bit confused as to what the like was for! Talk about another CRAFT moment - albeit a bit later! Must be all the fumes from the glue!! :D

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Plastix, I have just started this one myself, if mine looks half as good as yours I will be pleased. Can I ask, why have you painted the prop spinner in what looks similar to Tamiya's Sky colour instead of the black called for in the instructions. I must say it looks a lot better than in black. Also you have have painted the drop tanks the same as the underside colour where I have seen other people paint them aluminium. I am not questioning either just trying to tap into your obvious expertise. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2017 at 12:27, Telboy3510 said:

why have you painted the prop spinner in what looks similar to Tamiya's Sky colour instead of the black called for in the instructions

It's a starter set and the colour call-outs have to work within the small number of paint pots included in the set. Photos of the original show that it was not black. PlaStix has decided on Sky, which is plausible, though others disagree and suggest other colours such as red with a yellow back plate. There's a discussion here.

This modelling lark is never simple.

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnd said:

It's a starter set and the colour call-outs have to work within the small number of paint pots included in the set. Photos of the original show that it was not black. PlaStix has decided on Sky, which is plausible, though others disagree and suggest other colours such as red with a yellow back plate. There's a discussion here.

John.

Thanks for that John, after posting the question I tried a bit of research for myself on the net and sure enough there was the answer staring me in the face, that said as a newbie I will always try to tap into all of expert knowledge that I can gain from people like you and people who have obviously been modelling for years. Once again Thank you.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2017 at 22:20, Fuad said:

Very nice work!

Thank you very much Fuad! :thumbsup:

On 8/2/2017 at 12:27, Telboy3510 said:

Hi Plastix, I have just started this one myself, if mine looks half as good as yours I will be pleased. Can I ask, why have you painted the prop spinner in what looks similar to Tamiya's Sky colour instead of the black called for in the instructions. I must say it looks a lot better than in black. Also you have have painted the drop tanks the same as the underside colour where I have seen other people paint them aluminium. I am not questioning either just trying to tap into your obvious expertise. Thanks.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:42, johnd said:

John.

On 8/4/2017 at 12:05, Telboy3510 said:

Thanks for that John, after posting the question I tried a bit of research for myself on the net and sure enough there was the answer staring me in the face, that said as a newbie I will always try to tap into all of expert knowledge that I can gain from people like you and people who have obviously been modelling for years. Once again Thank you.

Hi Telboy3510 - thank you very much for your questions and Johnd for your answers and link. I am sorry I didn't get to reply to this sooner but John has helped out there. It is a starter set and I was in a bit of a rush to get this one done quickly. I did a quick bit of research but discovered there was no quick answer with this one. There was the question of the camo scheme and a variety of other issues with the accuracy of the kit compared to the original. As I was looking for a quick build I just plumped for the Firewall scheme - as it looked a bit different and preferred the idea of the spinner in Sky - although in all likely hood it could have been as John suggested or Sky Blue. As a quick build I was happy with it but there are a few accuracy issues which I may have attempted to correct if I had the time.

On 8/3/2017 at 21:58, F-32 said:

:goodjob:

Thank you! :thumbsup:

On 8/4/2017 at 10:02, Meatbox8 said:

That looks absolutely splendid and could easily pass for 1/48th.  Also an excellent example of what can be achieved without an airbrush. 

Thank you very much for your very kind comments Meatbox8 :thumbsup:

On 8/4/2017 at 17:08, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You can never go wrong with a Sharkmouth :penguin:

You certainly can't - thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Thank you very much Fuad! :thumbsup:

Hi Telboy3510 - thank you very much for your questions and Johnd for your answers and link. I am sorry I didn't get to reply to this sooner but John has helped out there. It is a starter set and I was in a bit of a rush to get this one done quickly. I did a quick bit of research but discovered there was no quick answer with this one. There was the question of the camo scheme and a variety of other issues with the accuracy of the kit compared to the original. As I was looking for a quick build I just plumped for the Firewall scheme - as it looked a bit different and preferred the idea of the spinner in Sky - although in all likely hood it could have been as John suggested or Sky Blue. As a quick build I was happy with it but there are a few accuracy issues which I may have attempted to correct if I had the time.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for your very kind comments Meatbox8 :thumbsup:

You certainly can't - thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, thanks for getting back to me, as you can see I did some research and sure enough all the info was there. In my haste to get started I had already painted the prop and spinner black, it's been a Labour of love to get it looking semi decent in sky so that's the way it's staying !(being a newbie I'm learning  with every new build). By the way I happened upon your Typhoon diorama last night, absolutely brilliant! Thanks again Tel.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2017 at 17:44, BrettJohnson said:

Stunning build ! I really enjoy looking at Mustangs this is an excellent example.

Thank you very much for your very kind comments.

On 07/08/2017 at 18:39, Telboy3510 said:

Hi Stix, thanks for getting back to me, as you can see I did some research and sure enough all the info was there. In my haste to get started I had already painted the prop and spinner black, it's been a Labour of love to get it looking semi decent in sky so that's the way it's staying !(being a newbie I'm learning  with every new build). By the way I happened upon your Typhoon diorama last night, absolutely brilliant! Thanks again Tel.

Hi Tel. I think it will be fine in Sky - as you can see there is a lot of discussion about what is correct and there is probably a correct colour but hey.....as long as you are pleased with it. And thank you for your comments about the Typhoon diorama.

On 07/08/2017 at 23:15, WildeSau75 said:

Great Mustang - like it.

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you very much Michael - most kind.

Kind regards,

Stix