Pocher Bugatti T50 Coupé de Ville: a resurrection

20 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

You might consider making an auxiliary top that attaches to the current top which, is deeper. This would give you the needed extra depth and give you some room to put your legs under the top in the bargain. You could use when you are working on the big stuff like the Pochers and then take it off if you ever work on something smaller.  

Yes, Larchiefeng, you're right !

I can also consider replacing the actual top plate (60 cm depth) by a deeper one (80 cm) which will be permanently set...

The room for my legs isn't at all a problem, I just achieved a 2 hours working legts apart without any uncomfort :)

A very very little progress that evening:

I've drilled the seven 0.8 mm holes below the left frame rail (2 drill bilts broken, the third one will not cut metal anymore)

And drilled the eight 1 mm holes on the left protection plate

32353078136_f633295fbb_z.jpg

31549906174_9ab4c7d0a9_z.jpg

Next steps:

- Same job on the right protection plate and frame rail

- Prime the protection plates, paint them flat Aluminium

- Paint satin black the  crossmember

- Fix with 18 bolts all that stuff on the frame

Hi chaps

Yesterday evening I'have achieved the drilling and threading of all bolts holes on the frame rails

Then applied a new coat of black paint on the rails, where holes had been drilled, painted satin black the new crossmember

And hereunder is a new dry fit:

31647110053_ea6242a4b0_z.jpg

32080585770_a6e9983e20_z.jpg

31647114983_e78be081ba_z.jpg

31647113653_21112802bf_c.jpg

31615685614_39d5abe3bb_z.jpg

32080586700_c5ac110d8e_z.jpg

Remains to:

- Prime the protection plates, paint them flat Aluminium

- simulate the engine side's fixarions of the plates

- Fix with 18 + 6 bolts all that stuff on the frame

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silver911 said:

As ever...studious and meticulous work....it's been said before I know but....I have to admire your tenacity in your attention to detail....great stuff.

Regards

Ron

You're a very kind friend Ron :) Thank you very much...I do my best

Right protective plate achieved and fixed.

The brackets which bolt the plate to the side of engine's bottom have been scractch built

32317512552_a0a683d149_z.jpg

The plate is M1 bolted on he frame rail..You can see the M1 washers between plate and bolts

32317515182_1fa146c575_z.jpg

32428689296_ab702ef80d_z.jpg

32347483521_bf0a588e8c_z.jpg

32317509942_7c57a0bcfe_z.jpg

32090714700_fa72b1878a_z.jpg

32317509952_bbda1999d5_z.jpg

And with some light from bottom upward:

31625677064_2a82f90db2_c.jpg

Left plate's turn now....

• Like 4

Very nice fabrication on these panels with the louvres and all the little extra touches on the brackets and nuts and bolts. It's a fitting addition to this great detailed build! I won't be able to build mine for years and until people can't remember your craftsmanship!

• Like 1

@larchiefeng @Pouln and @Codger I'm really annoyed with your so kind compliments... How I would like to deserve them...very sincerely, i do not think to be one of the best modellers on this website....quite on the contrary.

Very simply, I watch, I study, I investigate, I try to,reproduce the real as well as possibe with the materials I find under my hands, and overall, I learn form all of you, guys, who share their amazing works.

Thank you very much, Gentlemen

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 2

Right and left protection plates achieved and bolted on the frame rails, and crossmember fixed.

32369672591_4b5280c16f_z.jpg

31679698683_3f5d96318f_z.jpg

32339663042_616d28f619_z.jpg

31678411453_11f4f1f020_z.jpg

31678412353_3762aba30f_z.jpg

32449495526_4cb7a7d07c_z.jpg

32111527160_6f9ff5ae05_z.jpg

32339465472_5e2663ba4d_z.jpg

31647661824_e549ba7b51_z.jpg

32369511641_74cae2586e_z.jpg

31647660504_ac93fceaeb_z.jpg

32339550532_d7efa2090a_z.jpg

32112520300_e1127a8402_z.jpg

Now, it remains to make some reparations:

- 4 spark plugs have leaved their holder and must be glued to avoid loosing them.

- during these works of protection plates making, some parts have debonded and three added parts on front  spring leaves have disappeared: I have to scratch build them again, and fix them on a better way.

Next, I'll finish and fix the exhaust tubes and muffler

Then, i'll have to scrachbuild the engine's front protection plate and the lower part of the radiator, not provided in the kit, but visible on the prototype at Lowman's Museum

Stay tuned if you like, and thank you for watching and criticizing

• Like 5

Painstaking work Thierry, beautifully executed. I especially love the axle and fabricated rods and links in the front suspension. Looks rock-solid. Although not a straight rod, (mine has a dropped center section) I would make a tubular tie rod from brass or stainless if I could do it over again.

I agree with Roy, simpler grille work would be my choice.

• Like 1

Thank you very much, guys, for your kind comments

@Roy vd M. and @Codger About the decorative radiator front, I well understand your preference and I've not taken yet my decision.

Discussion:

- this decorative grill existed only on a Bugatti T50 Coupé de Ville which  had an absolutely different body, as I said to Roy many pages before in this thread. So this kind of car body (Bugatti T50 Profilé) has never had in the past such a decorative radiator front. Pocher has taken great liberties with the truth...This is a good reason to get it out.

- However, doing that, I'll become a Lambda T50 builder, and I should have to paint it, to match the truth, with a standard combination of colors, for instance black and red or yellow etc...I will not be happy with that !

Furthermore, to get out the decorative radiator front, i have to:

- unglue the water temperature wire from the radiator: very delicate

- unmount the water pipes from the radiator: easy

- unmount the upper rod that connect to the firewall:  rather easy

- unmount the radiator to open it and remove the decorative plate: easy.....BUT, fix again the radiator on the frame will be a whole different kettle of fish ! To give you an idea, for fixing it the next time, it has been a very hard and painfull job, that took much of two hours...I thought that I would go mad...

Frankly, I'm not able to face  actually this great difficulty, because I'm yet very annoyed and stressed with my parents health troubles, but, it would be made later without problem, if I decide me to do so !

So I'm hesitating !

Is there a mean on this forum to open a "voting thread" ?

• Like 1

You have only yourself to please my friend, not any of us here. Great difficulty and danger to damage finished areas are certainly good reasons to not do something. I have turned away from ambitious ideas for exactly those reasons.

I find when outside events cause stress I temper the amount of time on complex parts of the build and revert to simpler satisfying chores.

• Like 1

I think you should not be led by a vote from us. You are building this model for yourself and as Codger said, if you run the danger to cause more harm then good, don't do it. 

Although it may not be the truth for this car, the decoration does look good (to me). I would leave it, for all tha matters.

I hope your parents will overcome their health troubles soon.

• Like 1

Hi Gentlemen and dear friends

Finally, I've achieved today the scratch building and fixing of the three protection plates of the engine's bottom

It  costs approximatively 80 hours of work, including  studies of reference photos, making of templates, many tries and disappointments, several scratching of the plates, several tries of cutting of the louvres, sanding, filling, drilling, painting etc.

For a total of actually 72 (seventy two) pieces; 3 plates, brackets, 2 crossmembers,  washers, bolts and nuts !

And 9 broken or useless   0.8 mm gauge drill bits, 4 M1 brass washers and 2 brass M1 bolts lost on the wooden floor of my "garage"

And I do not know how many swearwords (Sorry guys)

All that, for car's parts that will not be visible in standard conditions !

I think I deserve my nickname :rolleyes:

Scratch building of a front crossmember for front protection plate of engine's bottom

Material: 0.3 mm thick aluminium plate

32590033635_96ce2d22f2_z.jpg

32210866790_6ee2f697ab_z.jpg

32437098242_7b43c485e3_z.jpg

31746360254_f316021bff_z.jpg

Scratch buildind of the front protection plate, after taking measures with a paper template

Same material

32590044765_33551969d5_z.jpg

Fixation of the crossmember on the front plate

32467031151_d5cf2e5f54_z.jpg

32549530486_05dc2b5caa_z.jpg

Plate has been drilled, insidebolts fixed, ready to paint

32437122002_d367d2f6ea_z.jpg

The frame rails have been drilled too, 0.8 mm gauge, and the fixation holes have been threaded M1

32211231120_2486574725_c.jpg

Front plate painted Tamiya Flat Aluminium

32437125402_dc02fb8c4a_z.jpg

32550169456_39b6195494_z.jpg

Dry fit

31746471994_0c8944af96_z.jpg

Front plate fixed

32590673165_97fe2cf3bc_z.jpg

31778634283_af89573f66_c.jpg

32590679445_619e0067f6_z.jpg

31778638203_62680f0fb8_c.jpg

32590682495_a0ca3dcd8f_c.jpg

It remains now to scratch build the lower part of the radiator, that is, in reality, only a decorative part, through which cross the axle of the starting handle

This piece isn't provided in the Pocher kit, but several reference photos from different sources show that it existed.

Another challenge to come !

Stay tuned if you like, and thanks for watching

• Like 4

This whole series of plates on the underside of the frame is pretty impressive and I'm sure that you intend to show it off somehow when the car is done. When I look at all your pictures here, there is one thing that, kind of seems out of place and it's the Pocher screws that hold the bottom of the radiator. I don't know if it makes any sense to replace them with bolt heads but maybe some sort of way to disguise or hide them. This is just a casual observation here; I know how much thought goes into upgrading these kits and I also know how things evolve during the build and unless you've built more than one of the same kits it's almost impossible to plan everything in advance. Considering how much detail that, you've packed into this kit, this is probably nit picking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

This whole series of plates on the underside of the frame is pretty impressive and I'm sure that you intend to show it off somehow when the car is done. When I look at all your pictures here, there is one thing that, kind of seems out of place and it's the Pocher screws that hold the bottom of the radiator. I don't know if it makes any sense to replace them with bolt heads but maybe some sort of way to disguise or hide them. This is just a casual observation here; I know how much thought goes into upgrading these kits and I also know how things evolve during the build and unless you've built more than one of the same kits it's almost impossible to plan everything in advance. Considering how much detail that, you've packed into this kit, this is probably nit picking.

Thanks for your interest, Larchiefeng

To answer your questions :

1/ Yes, in fact, I would like to show these "louvered" plates...An idea is to exhibit the model car on a base coated by a thin mirror.

2/ Concerning the ugly Pocher's screws  that hold the bottom of the radiator on the frame rails, and the ugly brass washers: they will not be visible at all when I've added a decorative addition at the radiator's bottom...

The following picture - that come from Wikipedia (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:1932_Bugatti_Type_50T_Coach_Profilee.JPG#filehistory ) and not of the private photos provided by Roy @Roy vd M. - features the Louwman Museum's Bugatti T50 Coach Profilée, show you what I want to scratch build.

Fichier:1932 Bugatti Type 50T Coach Profilee.JPG

This decorative plate, semi-lunar shaped, chrome plated on its peripheral, and painted (?) black in the middle, is crossed through by the starting handle. On this picture, the hole for' the handle is pluged by a chromed top.

From a bottom view, this plate isn't a simple plate, but is a "box" that has the same width than the radiator.

On my model, it will cover entirely the bottom side of the radiator, and consequently, will hide the screws  !

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 1

If I pay attention, all will be revealed! I did catch a mention of the decorative grille piece but, I didn't know what it was. As usual you are adding things that I've not seen on a Pocher Bugatti before. I'm also still trying to get permission for access to the museum's pictures but, I'm in a holding pattern at the moment waiting on the director's permission. When you're done with this build they may want it for the museum too! Beautiful attention to detail so far with, much more to come, I'm sure.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

If I pay attention, all will be revealed! I did catch a mention of the decorative grille piece but, I didn't know what it was. As usual you are adding things that I've not seen on a Pocher Bugatti before. I'm also still trying to get permission for access to the museum's pictures but, I'm in a holding pattern at the moment waiting on the director's permission. When you're done with this build they may want it for the museum too! Beautiful attention to detail so far with, much more to come, I'm sure.

Hi Wayne

Yes, all will be revealed, because it's my pleasure to share with others.

Thanks a lot for your kind comment about my WIP..

I hope Louwman Museum give you soon a favorable response....crossing fingers :)

Stay tuned for following steps....I'm thinking to use for 1st the time my Proxxon MF70 milling machine and try silver soldering....A lot of wasted materials to come during this apprenticeship, but it's time to enhance quality :rolleyes:

Edited by CrazyCrank
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

but it's time to enhance quality :rolleyes:

Dear Thierry,

As if it were possible to improve on the quality of your work ... 

Also amazing how in the little space you have, you can achieve excellence in chraftmanship.

Very well done and look forward to your feedback on the proxxon mill.

• Like 1