1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIb

Fifer54

OK, here it is! This the Hurri that I'll be putting together:

Starter.jpg

It comes with 6 paints, which are (Humbrol Numbers) 30 Dark Green, 33 Black, 56 Aluminium/Metallic Grey,

64 Light Grey, 90 Beige Green/"Sky", 106 (Ocean?)Grey. I can't see how I'll mix Dark Earth from those for the

Mk.I, so I think I'll have to build the IIb. Interior Green (or an approximation) should be creatable from Sky and

a Grey, or the Dark Green and a Grey.

The tube of glue and the brush provided do not inspire me....... but I've got to use them!

So good luck everybody, let's build these the way Airfix intended!!??!!

Edited by MadNurseGaz

Made a start this morning, painted some parts on the sprue, first impressions: the matt black paint

is very translucent, in spite of laborious stirring, it's gonna take a few coats! Lots of ejector pin marks

on the kit, just gonna leave those that aren't in the way, took the sky and light grey paints and managed

to mix a colour that approximated to a pale RLM grey, so I'll use that as Interior Green. Strangely, it looks

a lot "greyer" in the photos than on the plastic.

hurri001.jpg

hurri002.jpg

I'd like to ask for a hosts' ruling about a point I'm not clear about.

The paints that are supplied in the kit don't allow either colour option to be completed, and I am unable to mix

the required colours from the supplied paints, which are: Dark Green, DSG, Sky, Silver, Light Grey, and Black

For one option Dark Earth is missing for the camo, Yellow is missing from both options for details such as prop

blade tips, and for wing leading edge strips.Neither of these can be mixed from what I have. Am I allowed to

add either colour, or must I simply do without?

:coat:

Sorry MNG but the rules are only the paints that come with the kit. When you have finished the build you can embelish as you wish.

I'm interested in any problems people have with these kits. I think they are important to the hobby as they should be a positive introduction to the hobby so I would like to pass on our cummulative problems to Airfix (OK Mike?) so they could improve them in future. In your case the lack of a main colour would be a worth mentioning. Perhaps a general tip on how to get a good finish with the paints would be a useful addition?

Meanwhile I take it you can finish the other scheme with the paints supplied?

Sorry MNG but the rules are only the paints that come with the kit. When you have finished the build you can embelish as you wish.

I'm interested in any problems people have with these kits. I think they are important to the hobby as they should be a positive introduction to the hobby so I would like to pass on our cummulative problems to Airfix (OK Mike?) so they could improve them in future. In your case the lack of a main colour would be a worth mentioning. Perhaps a general tip on how to get a good finish with the paints would be a useful addition?

Meanwhile I take it you can finish the other scheme with the paints supplied?

Yeah, I'll do the Mk.IIB, there's only the yellow for prop blade tips and leading edge strips, I'll add that after the group build finishes.

Nice start Gaz, pity about the missing paint, strange...

Yes, I thought it was strange, the "missing" paint isn't actually missing from the kit, it was never included! There's a list on the box of

the Humbrol paint numbers, and dark earth (29) isn't on the list.There are30, 33, 56, 64, 90, 106. All of those are present and correct.

The box claims "Hawker Hurricane Mk.I" but the illustration shows the Mk.IIb option in DG/DSG/MSG- with yellow prop blade tips and

leading edge strips!! The Mk.I option is in DG/DE/Sky.

Methinks Airfix marketing were a little confused?

:coat:

I've had a "Blitz" at this model and managed to reach a state that I'll call finished! I take it we don't have a "Gallery "

thread, so I'll post all my finished pics here.

hurri001-1.jpg

hurri002-1.jpg

hurri003.jpg

hurri004.jpg

hurri005.jpg

I've had a "Blitz" at this model and managed to reach a state that I'll call finished! I take it we don't have a "Gallery "

thread, so I'll post all my finished pics here.

That's done nicely. I think I have a part build of that somewhere.

Mish has given Paul and I a prod about starting a gallery so please bear with us while we figure this out.

Great 'Hurri' Gaz nicley done & quickly...must try the first coat of paint on miy Seahawk....put it off as it's going to make it look $*@? I know it is!!

That's not half bad Gaz. Ive always found the funny snout like projection directly behind the spinner - rather curious :)

Yes, it's rather peculiar, isn't it? ISTR being told (or reading somewhere) that it's supposed to represent an oil thrower ring behind

the spinner! Must be a bit overscale!