1:72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk1a

RobF

Well it arrived out here in Bulgaria just fine and luckily with paints that are actually useful rather than the colours shown on the promo picture on the Airfix website.

I will be using my own tools (knife,sandpaper, Masking tape and pencil etc ) rather than nicking and ruining my Dad's like I id back in the day :-)

I think it's going to take a while to paint it with this teeny paintbrush

Edited by RobF

I was up nice and early this morning - so exciting I couldn't sleep

I ripped the box open of course but this would have been more authentic if I had done it on the bus on the way home from the shop. Not been on a bus for a while but I assume it's more than 2 pence now ?

001.jpg

Here is my stuff already to go

002.jpg

When I was a kid I never painted the cockpits but now I decided to up my game and really go to town on this build :-)

003.jpg

I made up some interior green with a 50/50 mix of the camo green and the sky - it's a shocking good match and I think I prefer it more than the colour I usually use. The trick with the paint seems to be heavy thinning (with water) and lots of very thin coats

004.jpg

I need to get going with this as I don't want to miss Crackerjack on the telly later

I made up some interior green with a 50/50 mix of the camo green and the sky - it's a shocking good match and I think I prefer it more than the colour I usually use. The trick with the paint seems to be heavy thinning (with water) and lots of very thin coats

004.jpg

Oooohh! Cocktail sticks...cheat!!

I don't remember them being mentioned in the rules!

Nice interior grey/green, by the way!

Phil.

• Like 1

I had some big gaps and suspect this isn't a new tool kit :-)

I shaved some bits of sprue off, dob of glue and rammed them in the gaps - fingerprints are optional but I decided to include them

Mixed some of the sky in with the black for a nice rubber grey (looks better than the pics actually ) - bunged a wash around the undercarriage and wheels then re highlighted the relevant bits with a technique I learnt painting toy soldiers

005.jpg

006.jpg

I had some big gaps and suspect this isn't a new tool kit :-)

I shaved some bits of sprue off, dob of glue and rammed them in the gaps - fingerprints are optional but I decided to include them

Mixed some of the sky in with the black for a nice rubber grey (looks better than the pics actually ) - bunged a wash around the undercarriage and wheels then re highlighted the relevant bits with a technique I learnt painting toy soldiers

Nice wheels indeed painting wargames figs generally improved my painting, going back to do some more been given the 3 hour warning by the 'boss' must tidy my Seahawk wheels ...hate glossy acrylics! & slap the airframe together!

Started on the underside = multiple thin coats again of the sky with a drop of black to darken. Then a wash of black in some of the bigger panels lines - retouch with the base colour again. Then with the Sky raw colour very thing to 'highlight. Looks suprisingly effective (I think) to the naked eye - here it is half done ...

007.jpg

Edited by RobF

Ah, that using advanced modelling techniques, he's cheating he is :)

Nice work Rob

No no no! This is fine. The rules limit you to the box and its contents and a set of rudimentary tools. It is the participant's choice to either regress or use the years of skills and cunning built up despite all the modern advances.

Rob has cetrainly improved the model's appearance I think.

Edited by Plastic Bonsai

cool paint application ........looking good topsurfaces should be more er 'fun'

Thanks for the positive feedback

The green went on pretty nicely the brown was a horror and fought me all the way - I lost count of how many coats. These are the darkened tones ( a splosh of the black in ) the real top colour comes next

009.jpg

Looks good so far.. plenty of hints & tips for the rest of us :)

Gee whizz I think I need to up my game....

I just need to start mine :blush:

"You can teach monkeys to fly (paint) better than that ! "

Ok - thats the topside done - it's crying out for a mega thinned black wash to act as a filter but This is only a bit of fun isn't it

011.jpg

Edited by RobF