B-17C, US 19th BG, Del Monte Field, Philippines

Evening Gentlemen,

I finished this a while back but I figured I'd share with ALL here...

Not too many B-17C's made it into combat service except for the handful in the Philippines with the U.S.A.A.C., some with the R.A.F and R.N.. 35 were sent to Clark Field on Luzon and Del Monte Field on Mindanao, only one survived from Clark Field and 13 from Del Monte. They combined and flew to a field near Darwin, Australia. They proceeded to commence with shipping attacks on the Japanese which they did to little effect in early 1942.

So without further adue here she is...

DSCN0363.jpg

DSCN0364.jpg

DSCN0367.jpg

DSCN0368.jpg

DSCN0371.jpg

DSCN0376.jpg

DSCN0378.jpg

DSCN0380.jpg

DSCN0382.jpg

All constructive criticism or suggestions are all welcomed and appreciated...

Regards,

Hurry

Very nice rendering of the early Fort'! I like the subtle weathering, and scuffing of the leading edges.

Maybe you'd want to retouch or replace that upper wing roundel, though. The misprint stands out and kind of spoils the overall neat impression, doesn't it?

Best,

Joachim

Very nice rendering of the early Fort'! I like the subtle weathering, and scuffing of the leading edges.

Maybe you'd want to retouch or replace that upper wing roundel, though. The misprint stands out and kind of spoils the overall neat impression, doesn't it?

Best,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim! :D

Its a slight over print of the lower layer of color for the decal... I can trim it up and she'll be good to go. I definitely agree it does hurt it a little. :thumbsup:

Really nice to see any early Flying Fort. Nice looking plane and build, bet it looks nice on the shelf as well.

Thanks Smithy! She sure does... she took about a month to complete and she got about two or three coats of yellow zinc chromate on the interior because it didn't want to coat for some reason :P:DLOL She's covered now though :DLOL

Regards,

Hurry

Yeah you don't come across these very often. How was the academy kit for this early version? I've built academy's B-17G and currently building the B-17F. I'm guessing it is very similar in terms of build quaility and fit. Which is to say, quite good, though not cutting edge, with a few finer details simplified.

Great work on your Fort though, I like it :)

That looks really nice. One little item, though. The black leading edges of the wings should not have paint chipping, like you've done. These were black rubber de-icing boots that could be slightly inflated and then deflated, to break up any ice build-up on the wing leading edges.

Chris.

Really nice to see any early Flying Fort. Nice looking plane and build, bet it looks nice on the shelf as well.

Ditto...!!

ggc

Thanks everyone for the kind words and compliments.. it means a lot. :thumbsup:

Chris yes... I plan to rectify that issue soon... I will do that along with the port wing insignia. ;)

Regards,

Hurry

Edited by Hurry

Nice Work

This kit has ( as you may know ) been released over here by Italieri with a few Coastal Command options, one for an aircraft based in at Nutts Corner in County Antrim (just up the road) Looking forward to building it.

Once again a beautiful rendition of the prettiest of the Forts

Richard McC

Yeah you don't come across these very often. How was the academy kit for this early version? I've built academy's B-17G and currently building the B-17F. I'm guessing it is very similar in terms of build quaility and fit. Which is to say, quite good, though not cutting edge, with a few finer details simplified.

Great work on your Fort though, I like it :)

Hey Rowan,

The Academy kit for this variant of the Flying Fort... the build quality is good to very good. The kit itself I found to be fairly detailed, the build itself was a good build but as to the fit of parts it by and large is good but, the way you mount the nose compartment to the flight deck is atrocious. I mean there is nothing to support it. You're gluing flat surface to flat surface, with no support. On top of that the components in the nose section fit VERY tight and are out of proportion to the rest of the kit. :P

Nice Work

This kit has ( as you may know ) been released over here by Italieri with a few Coastal Command options, one for an aircraft based in at Nutts Corner in County Antrim (just up the road) Looking forward to building it.

Once again a beautiful rendition of the prettiest of the Forts

Richard McC

Thanks Richard and thanks EVERYONE! for the kind word and compliments on the build. :D Richard, Italeri makes nice kits I've built a few of them.. VERY detailed and all were enjoyable builds. ;):D

Regards,

Hurry

Edited by Hurry

This is a wonderful build of this classic B-17C from WW II early days ! When I see a fine model of this version, such as yours, I am reminded of the terrific wartime movie "Air Force" ....... which starred (among the Hollywood types) an early model Flying Fortress !

Mike

This is a wonderful build of this classic B-17C from WW II early days ! When I see a fine model of this version, such as yours, I am reminded of the terrific wartime movie "Air Force" ....... which starred (among the Hollywood types) an early model Flying Fortress !

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the compliment! :)

I was watching the 1943 film "Air Force" when I decided to do extensive research into those early 17's that were sent to the Philippines. So, it sparked the idea of this model true enough. :D

Interestly enough... I have a buddy who served in the U.S. Air Force as a mechanic AT Hamilton field, California where the film "Air force" was film at during WWII. :D

Regards,

Hurry