ROYAL AIRCRAFT FACTORY S.E.5.a

I also wondered whether the struts would take the weight - they look awfly fragile esp as they'll have to take the weight of the engine. How much is that going to weigh?

Could you not sandwich some wire between thin balsa to give the UC struts a little more rigidity? Or even just do the struts in plasticard? I'd hate to see the thing collapse at the last minute...

Hey - here's me thinking I can give you advice on scratch building!

Campbell I always welcome advice and I thank you ....you do have a point of course and as you can see ,you are not the only one to mention this.

Now as for sandwiching wire inbetween :hmmm: ....a lot of work I reckon as I would have to make 4 exact strut shapes to place the wire inbetween them........but your idea of using Plastic card is a good one. :thumbsup2: ...now I'll be honest with you....I used Balsa wood because I find it easy to work with and its a quick result,I have used it before on undercarriages without any problems,I have also used Plastic card.......but I guess I was just was after a quick result because I can't :blah: wait to get to the detailing stage on this model because I love doing it....and you know how long these scratch built projects go on for!!!.....but......what I will do is before :blah: I get to the stage of fixing the Struts on is make another set...this time iether out of Plastic card or Hard wood.....your right...it does make sense....if the whole thing collapsed I would be p###ed :angry:

So thanks for putting me on the correct path and making me doubt myself Campbell! ;)

Edited by Fozzy

Todays update

Morning!

I have 5 photos to show for the 6 odd hours I put in yesterday!!... :o ...and they are of the Struts that I have now completed.

here's the first one.....

The grey blobby bit on the end of the strut I made by re shaping a plastic bomb from an old kit!!!and the hinge on the cross bar (probably can't see it can you?)is made from card.....

se5aplans001-4.jpg

The attachment points on the end of the struts I made from a Coco Cola can....

se5aplans004-4.jpg

...and her it is attached to the fuselage temporarily.....

se5aplans005-4.jpg

I havn't attatched the cross bar as yet because I am waiting untill I have made the lower wing root attachment....

se5aplans007-4.jpg

The front strut legs are fixed by a pin that is pushed into the Balsa block I placed earlier...

se5aplans008.jpg

Well thats it lads.

Will post again when I have made the lower wing root.....It might be some time as I think its going to be bloody hard! :unsure:

Cheers

This is looking the dog's b's Fozzy, well done!

Cheers mate ...although I don't remember attaching any Gonads to this model....yet!! :lol:

Todays update

Hi Chaps.

Well I have been fideling around all day,if you know what I mean?!! :blush: ....with the Wing roots that is! and I'm pleased to say that I managed to get what I wanted to do today.

It was a bit touch and go at times but here is the end result in photos as usual...........

1. The wing roots first had to be carved out of Balsa wood...I had to make a template of the Aerofoil and carv the balsa wood to that..........

se5aplans006-4.jpg

2. Next I made a template from tracing paper of the side of the fuselage and where according to the plan the wing root is attached...

se5aplans003-5.jpg

3. This was then attached to the side of the Fuselage.I can now see exactly where the wing root has to be placed on the model...because its tracing paper ,all I have to do is turn the paper over to do the other side!....simple but effective! :)

se5aplans002-3.jpg

4. I then stripped the insulation off a pice of wire....rolled them straight and cut 4 lengths to act as fixing bars...

se5aplans004-5.jpg

5. Holes were drilled out to take the bars and they slipped into place....

se5aplans008-1.jpg

6. The wing roots were then pushed onto the bars and up against the fuselage....

se5aplans009-3.jpg

7. Here are the wing roots in place....

se5aplans011.jpg

I then put her up on her legs..(and the S.E.5.a model) :lol: ...to see that every thing looked square...here are some pics.....that is when PB allows me to :rolleyes:

se5aplans019-1.jpg

se5aplans012-1.jpg

se5aplans013-1.jpg

se5aplans018-2.jpg

That last photo showed me what I wanted to see....."all squared away" :)

The Elevator is next on the agenda...so untill then...Have a good weekend...

Cheers

Enjoying this Foz. Still reckon those uc legs will hold? I'm beginning to think you may be right.

Yea I think they will ...soon find out when I start adding detail to her...if she gets too heavy for the legs ..then I will just have to make some more! :weep:

I have too say that you do make scratch building look easy ;)

I'm glad you said that Tony because that was the aim of this WIP...to show others that they can also scratch build...just takes time and patience!

Metallicus Posted Yesterday, 11:38 PM

looking grand Foz!!

Thanks a lot Brenden!

ark 64 Posted Today, 09:35 AM

Some nice work Mister. Still watching this

Oliver

...as I am still watching yours!...cheers Oliver

Hi foz!

The more I watch this the more I want to do the same! Your doing a great job mate, just great! I only said I'd do the tail differently, I never said I could do it better! Your doing fine! lol

You may have already come across this as if your owt like me, as soon as you start a project, you'll be scouring the net for reference! Some quite handy pics here.

thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/se-5a-reproduction/se5a-walkaround

Nobby

Hi foz!

The more I watch this the more I want to do the same! Your doing a great job mate, just great! I only said I'd do the tail differently, I never said I could do it better! Your doing fine! lol

You may have already come across this as if your owt like me, as soon as you start a project, you'll be scouring the net for reference! Some quite handy pics here.

thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/se-5a-reproduction/se5a-walkaround

Nobby

Yes Nobby I am like you....I am on that site as I type ...working on the elevators at the mo.The Vintage Aviator has got fantastic reference material...I have been using it since I started this project and have used it before on other projects.

Thanks for mentioning it mate!

Todays update

Afternoon Gents

Firstly I would like to thank Campbell for banging on and on about the uncertainty of the Undercarriage struts!!! :blah: He finally forced my hand into making a new set ...this time out of laminated plastic card.The reason why I did this is because I thought I'd have another look at the original set and ofcourse Cambell was right all along...they definatly would have broken as soon as I tried to fix them to the Fuselage....so thanks Campbell ;)

....and so today's update is all about Elevators...and I don't mean the type you ride in :rolleyes: ..........here's the pics.....

se5aplans001-5.jpg:P

se5aplans002-4.jpg

....Before sanding.........

se5aplans004-6.jpg

...and after sanding...

se5aplans005-5.jpg

As usual I tried to attach the whole unit by blue tack to see how it all looked ....and to set up for the photo shot (sounds like I am taking photos of a super model!....oh I am :P ) it took me longer to ballance it all than it took me to do the elevators!!!!

se5aplans010-1.jpg

se5aplans008-2.jpg

se5aplans009-4.jpg

So there you go.

Still in the middle of re doing a new pair of struts...will get back to you when thats complete.

Cheers

Cambell was right all along

Hey Foz! Don't forget that even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Anyway, forget all that - those elevators look pretty nice and the entire back end looks like... well, like a ww1 aeroplane.

So, you weren't tempted to make the flappy bits moveable? :P

Edited by crookedmouth

Hey Foz! Don't forget that even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Anyway, forget all that - those elevators look pretty nice and the entire back end looks like... well, like a ww1 aeroplane.

So, you weren't tempted to make the flappy bits moveable? :P

I havn't made my mind up on that yet...I still have to split the Flaps away from the elevators as yet...I might just set them slightly down!!

I havn't made my mind up on that yet...I still have to split the Flaps away from the elevators as yet...I might just set them slightly down!!

Hey - what you could do is fully articulate the control system, with cables to the pedals and stick.

Just an idea ;)

Hey - what you could do is fully articulate the control system, with cables to the pedals and stick.

Just an idea ;)

Funny you should say that...because I am planning to do just that on a larger scale aircraft!!....but not this one ;) ...too small!

...Cheers Moofles!!

Edited by Fozzy