Dynavector 1:48 Supermarine Scimitar

Mike

looking good Mike, but tbh i have never even heard of this aircraft oh well :shithappens: . Take me out back and :suicide: me.

Maybe later eh? ;)

Mike, gotta say this is an outstanding build,

Seems to be a lot of right click save as going on, just in case I need some inspriation for when I come to do mine, even if I have to make my own intake covers!!

Keep the updates coming.

Jolly decent of you Oz, thanks :)

Sadly my last daylight bulb has just given up the ghost (just as Greg arrived for a visit), so bad light stops play today :lol:

I just hope I've got a suitable replacement in the house - bayonet fitting lightbulbs seem to be becoming a bit scarce. I'd also forgotten that this was my spare :doh:

A quick update. I've completed all the drop tanks, but have decided to hack the 2 outer ones from their pylons, as I've seen quite a few shots of them with inner pylons with tanks on & outer pylons bare. Thought it'd be a bit unusual :)

Work on the gear bay doors has been occupying me on & off today. I detailed the interior surface of each part from reference photos, using strip, sheet & Rosie the Riveter. I also added a bit of detail to the main landing gear legs, recreating the double piped rearward facing scissor link that keeps the brake lines from getting damaged, and some lightening holes in the front scissor-link. I just need to add hoses from lead wire.

gear1.jpg

There's nothing on the nose gear, as it must be hidden away... less work for me :)

• Like 1

Bloody brilliant, that's all I can say! I saw this Scimitar in the flesh a while ago, and it's come on leaps and bounds since then. The scratchbuilt details are fantastic! Should look an absolute gem once it's finished!

Karl.

Mike

The gear doors look a treat mate!! I must order one of those rivet tools as it really looks scale. BTW have you painted up the metal wheels yet?? I am curious how they clean up matey!!

Keep it up!! She will be a beaut when complete!!

Mike

I've flatted off the bottoms of each of the wheels & given them a couple of coats of white over grey primer. The clean up nicely, and thankfully don't suffer from the mould alignment problems that necessitated replacements on the Skyshark. The only problem I can see is that the nose wheel on pics I have has a spoked hub, while the kit has a drilled hub. It's something I'll live with though, as it would be a nightmare to try & change! :owww:

I've flatted off the bottoms of each of the wheels & given them a couple of coats of white over grey primer. The clean up nicely, and thankfully don't suffer from the mould alignment problems that necessitated replacements on the Skyshark. The only problem I can see is that the nose wheel on pics I have has a spoked hub, while the kit has a drilled hub. It's something I'll live with though, as it would be a nightmare to try & change! :owww:

cool looking forward to seein her on her feet!! As far as the nosewheel goes, will anyone actually ding you for the wrong hub?? Its not that big anyway!!

Cheers

Mike

cool looking forward to seein her on her feet!! As far as the nosewheel goes, will anyone actually ding you for the wrong hub?? Its not that big anyway!!

Cheers

Mike

In truth, I was just looking on Damian's T&L page on the Scimitar, and although the pic is a bit grainy, the hub on that example does look drilled... although maybe not as pronounced as the kit part. Either way, I'm not doing anything about it now ^_^

Where did you get the riveter from Mike?

Petr Dousek in the Czech republic. Nice chap. You have to contact him via his webform or email

If any of you decide to order one, I didn't get the 1.0mm one when I got my set, so would be grateful if someone would pick me up a spare. :) Oh, it seems he's stopped doing that one... looks like no-one else wanted one either :shrug:

Cheers

Mike

I WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil_laugh:

EVEN IF IT IS HIS BIRTHDAY

Edited by stringbag

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of minor updates, as I've been working on other things this week. I decided to cut off the two outer fuel tanks from their pylons, as you often see them parked with the outer pylons bare, so with a few handy photos I added some attachment detail to the blanked over stub.

pylon.jpg

I've also painted and weathered the various open bays on the underside, using white acrylic and Phil's dark weathering wash. I've also applied that to the gear legs, wheels & bay doors, which have come up quite nicely.

airframe3.jpg