Finemolds D4Y2-S Judy

_H_

Hello.

I have choosen to do the D4Y for this group build.

Box art:

DSC01919.jpg

Beautiful isn't it!!

Sprues:

DSC01920.jpg

White metal parts are included in the kit!

DSC01921.jpg

I wish I could read Japanese as I bet this is really interesting:

DSC01922.jpg

Which one of the many and varied schemes to do.........:D

DSC01923.jpg

Having a quick look at the sprues last night, it appears more like a short run kit. Quite a bit of flash but that oily feel to the plastic that I assume to be release agent. Theres also a good few sink marks on the fuselage that will require sorting out.

The part I'm nervous about is the engine cowlings/nose section. The kit is obviously designed for both radial and inline variants so I'm really hoping the fit is good but not convinced.

Looking forward to getting started now.

Howard

Thanks Erwin. I like the fact it has an oblique firing 20mm cannon as most people associate those with Luftwaffe machines.

I got started on the model tonight. All interior parts have been cut from the sprues and cleaned. I then primed them up and sprayed the first batch in Wem's nakajima interior green. The second batch of parts was sprayed Mitsubishi interior green, once again from Wem.

Hopefully the enamels will be dry for tomorrow night so I can start on the detail painting.

Pics will come when I have something worth showing!!

Howard

Bit quite in here isn't it??

Anyway, I forgot how long everything takes with enamels but that hasn't stopped progress. Almost all of the cockpit is finished. Just the pilots seatbelts and a matt coat and we can put the fuselage halves together. I spent a good few hours masking the canopy today. It's a job I hate so I like to get it out of the way early on. Pictures shall be posted within 24hours as I'm replying via iPhone!

Have a good evening guys.

Howard

Hello everyone.

As promised here are the pics of the completed interior. I used WEM's Nakajima interior green (light green) and Mitsubishi interior green (dark) then did a little bit of shadowing with highly thinned tamiya matt black. After that a touch of highlighting by mixing the base colours with white. Finally i was able to outline with a sharp HB pencil and flat coat with Vallejo.

I finished masking the main canopy and I gotta admit that I wished I'd bought a mask set for it because it must have taken me a good four hours :( Still, it's done now and I have painted that in the Nakajima green. It looks like I'm going to have to mount the oblique cannon earlier than I hoped as the canopy is going to need some fettling and filler to fit so I'll have to do it early. Oh well.

Anyway onto pics:

DSC01927.jpg

DSC01932.jpg

DSC01933.jpg

DSC01934.jpg

DSC01935.jpg

I have now attached the nose sections to the fuselage as trial fits as two pieces showed a pretty nasty step. Next up is inserting the cockpit sections and joining the fuselage halves for good!

Hope you like and more to come soon.

Howard

Thanks very much Deacon, appreciate that mate ;)

ok so the fuselage is together and the inserts are fitted and after a little bit (ok several hours) work of sanding and stretch spru filling we're just about ready to fit the wings....oh wait...there's huge gaps at the root. You know what, I don't care as I'm absolutely loving this build!!

Off to the LHS tomorrow arvo though as I don't seem to have any tamiya xf10 for the prop!

Thanks for looking.

Howard

Thanks Andy. I wouldn't want to be sat under that cannon mind :)

belts weren't in the kit sadly. I had a set of ijn belts form Eduard so I pressed them into service.

Thanks again

Howard

Ok so no new pics but I shall have some tomorrow.

The airframe is basically complete bar the tail wings. I have added the filler to wing roots, radiator cowl and the sink marks in the fuselage sides. I'm not 100% happy with the sink marks yet and may well add another layer of filler tonight.

I've worked out what was/is wrong with the canopy. Basically the starboard side front seems to be moulded high yet the frames match on both sides?? Sitting it on it's nose as it were the port side was pitched at about 45 degree. Hope that makes sense. I have sanded the edge down and cut a few flash type bits off and it sits alot better now.

If I can get the tail planes on and filled we should be in paint later in the week! Horray!

Howard

The cockpit looks excellent,it would put most 1/48 scale cockpits to shame. A question I understand the nightfighter version of the Judy wasn't equipped with radar therefore do you know if the rear cockpit was occupied on combat missions as you pointed out sitting under that cannon wouldn't have been exactly pleasant. :hypnotised:

Malcolm

Edited by Mal

Hi Mal.

Thank you mate B) I enjoy the painting more than anything on a model. My knowledge on the Judy is fairly sketchy so I can't be 100% sure on the answer but the instructions list a pilot and gunners names for the version I'm doing.

I admit to not knowing very much at all about IJN aircraft. It was mainly the box art and the fact it was a nightfighter that attracted me to the kit.

Howard

Good morning.

I got all the remaining filler in and done last night and then set to work on the canopy. It took a good hour but I think I've got it as close as I can although there are a few remaining gaps but I think Gator Glue will solve those little problems.

I think I'm happy with the sink marks now but a coat of primer should show up whether or not I need to do anymore.

Anyway two not very good pics from this morning showing state of play:

DSC01980.jpg

DSC01979.jpg

Really looking forward to painting this one now!

Howard

Thank you guys.

Kev it's 1/48th mate. :)

I have the primer coat on but the sink marks aren't as good as I'd hoped. More soon!

Howard

• 5 weeks later...

Morning and sorry for the delay. I've had a rotten cold and it's meant I haven't felt up to modelling but I'm over the worst now and got back to the bench over the last few nights.

I spent quite a while re-scribing panel lines especially on the fuselage as they were very light or non existant. Once done and happy I sprayed primer and polished the airframe up ready for the pre-shade coat:

DSC02022.jpg

Last night I sprayed the wing ID stripes yellow. Now Finemolds do supply decals for those but they look VERY orange and I wasn't sure about them. I pondered on it most of the day yesterday (whilst I should have been working) but took the plunge last night. Once again I used the WEM colourcoat and I'm pretty happy with the result especially for spraying yellow onto a black undercoat.

Hopefully they will be dry tonight so I can mask them up and go for the underside grey!

Normal service is now resumed with the Judy!

Howard

Looking good Howard, the sight of that 20mm canon must have been a real frightener, although as a Night Fighter maybe you would not have seen it!

Having seen no posts from you I was concerned that you had given up on the Judy and consigned it to the great cupboard in the sky,Obviously theirs no need to worry as it's coming along fine,the variation of the tones on the wing look most effective.

Malcolm

Thank you guys. I felt I needed to update with something even if it was just a pic of it wearing the midnight scheme ;)

Mal, I did think that people may have wondered what happened especially after such a good start! I am now nearly fit again and ready to get back to work on this one. I'm looking forward to adding the main colours now but I just keep forgetting how slow Enamels are to work with!

Thanks again

Howard

I did the first coat on the lower surfaces last night. You'll have to bear with me a bit on this as I've never tried this technique before and it still needs the high and low light coats to go on.

Picture is poor but it shows the patchiness up:

DSC02033.jpg

I'm hoping to get the lower parts finished tonight so I can get started on the topside thursday but we shall see!

Thanks for looking.

Howard

Underside all finished for the moment and that should mean I can get masked up and spray the first coat of green.

I haven't got a pic today I'm afraid but hopefully I shall do tomorrow. Then my model building run will have to stop until sunday as we are off to a wedding over the weekend :(

Have a good day.

Howard

I did the first coat on the lower surfaces last night. You'll have to bear with me a bit on this as I've never tried this technique before and it still needs the high and low light coats to go on.

Picture is poor but it shows the patchiness up:

DSC02033.jpg

I'm hoping to get the lower parts finished tonight so I can get started on the topside thursday but we shall see!

Thanks for looking.

Howard

A very Nice build, & the patchy weathered paint work looks just right to me as Japanese paint was very poor quality to start with especially at this late period of the war.

Andy.

Edited by smuts