Finemolds D4Y2-S Judy

_H_

Hi guys.

Sorry for lack of updates. It's been a strange week. Last thursday my fiance and I found out that she was pregnant which was probably the best news ever. We were both massively chuffed but couldn't say anything especially at her brothers wedding over the weekend as we didn't want to steal their thunder. To tired to model on sunday night I thought I'd leave it till monday but then the bad happenend. Without warning Rebecca came to my work on monday morning in floods of tears and she'd been made redundant from her job. As you can imagine this couldn't have come at a worst time :( I have therfore spent most of the week consoling her and haven't got to the bench. She has a few interviews lined up for 3 month contract jobs next week so is feeling happier now and that should mean I can get back to the Judy in the coming days.

Thanks for understanding.

Howard

I managed to get a good stint in yesterday. Masked up the underside and sprayed the top IJN Green in the same patchy way I did the bottom. After a few hours in the heat I was actually able to add the highlight coat and remove the masking!

I'm pretty happy with it:

DSC02039.jpg

DSC02037.jpg

Next time at the bench I should be able to get the gloss coat on in prep for decals.

Hope you guys like.

Howard

Quite in here again :(

I started the decals last night and oh dear they do NOT like micro set (red one?) Crinkling, curling and major silvering are three words I can describe them with. I will leave the others I used last night out!

Hopefully I can rescue it. I'm gutted because this has been the most fun build for me for a long time.

Howard

Cooorrrrrr what a battle these decals have been!!

Finally beating them now. I went for a different way of doing them in the end. I cut them as close to the markings as usual but then just dipped them in water for 2-3 seconds and laid them on a wet kitchen towel. When they became free I used a brush and rubbed it in the solution under the decal and applied that to the area where the decal will lay. Placed the decal and put more of the solution over the top and let it dry for a minute before using a cotton bud to squeeze out the water underneath. Seems to have worked great and I didn't need to use the Micro set/sol that these decals hate soooo much!

DSC02572.jpg

I still have to sort the silvering on the horizontal stabiliser drift lines. Not sure what to do there as I have tried a pin and microsol but just dosen't seem to touch them. I even tried the pin and Klear last night and I don't think thats made a dent. :( Suppose I could carefully mask and lay an overspray over them? Any ideas?

Howard

What a night at the bench. No joke I reckon 3-4 hours and she'll be done!

Post shading and weathering is done. Had a slight decal mishap but sorted that. I now have the exhausts (and stains), wheels and prop to finish off. Lay the satin coat, stick the dangly bits and un-mask left to go!

Probably won't get back to the bench till after the weekend now but the fun is nearly over for this one.

Howard

Hello mate, Hows it going?

Thanks for the support mate really appreciate that. Judy is a proper love hate thing right now. I love the paintwork but the decals have been a real pain. One came off in my hand on saturday night!! Managed to get him back in place but my heart was thumping!!

Undercarriage was another nightmare but the model has been sitting on it's roof for two days now and hopefully should be set and strong for the final push tonight.

Howard

Hello mate, Hows it going?

Thanks for the support mate really appreciate that. Judy is a proper love hate thing right now. I love the paintwork but the decals have been a real pain. One came off in my hand on saturday night!! Managed to get him back in place but my heart was thumping!!

Undercarriage was another nightmare but the model has been sitting on it's roof for two days now and hopefully should be set and strong for the final push tonight.

Howard

I bet masking that bloody greenhouse on the top of it was fun! PS drop by & tell me how wonderful my Sea Vixen is. ;-)

Ahh sweet you're building again!! I'll be over in a tic!

Judy is done!

DSC02579.jpg

I shall put pics in the GB gallery and over in RFI.

Hope you guys like.

Howard

Hi Malcolm and thank you.

Yes you are quite right I am very happy with the result and I would deffo build another one....just with aftermarket decals.

It is nice to "build" a model not let it fall together itself sometimes ;)

Thanks again.

Howard