1/20 scale anti-gravity overlander

Hello gents, 

I just finished a project that I really liked, but realized it was the latest in a string of the same subject, and concluded that a guy needed some variety in model building.  So decided to get after a concept I've been pondering for a while.   As you can see below, I thought it would be a good idea to start with a Ferrari F1 kit that has been sitting unbuilt for far too long:

53689185854_dc21289838_b.jpg

Step one was to cut this kit in half so that I could make it into a two seater and so far so good.  As I am not a follower of current thinking on anti-gravity cars, well, went ahead and looked at several conceptual art and design sites to see what the prevalent thinking on this subject is - and well, some ideas were pretty cool.  I saw a few versions that were based on F1 cars (though from the images, I really can't say how they would be powered? or why they "boasted" really long noses?), but none caught my eye, though I suppose I will include some of the current vernacular of thinking on the subject 😄 

I noticed a recurrent theme of what turned out to be rings of spinning, super conducting ceramic and a series of solenoids located where four wheels would otherwise go, but mounted horizontally.  So, I suppose I will have some of those....  Evidently these devices create a magnetic field/force that would serve as the source of power (force?) used to elevate an object off the ground - aka making it gravity defying.....well, there you go.  I am going to go with it, as I want to build something new to me.   What I didn't notice in these concepts was a consistent source of thrust or propulsion to allow for horizontal movement, so I'll make something for that - I don't want an anti-gravity vehicle that just floats 😄.   

As I pondered all of this I thought back to my days in college...and trying to pass physics, and remembered the formula that solves everythingforce = mass x acceleration  😓😥 Aside from those being awful days, I took from them that lifting something, anything, requires the exertion of energy, and that well, gravity is not as easily defied as someone using graphic software might suppose, hence my idea of an overlander - something of a low level/elevation craft, that can be lifted and can scoot around,  But, not something that would instantly spring upward and zoom about at great speed  - I guess each of those vehicles would have one heck of a robust power and fuel source? - Not mine - it will have enough power to get some lift and zip around, but I don't think any of the teen series of fighters would have much to worry about from this - maybe more like an old  Toyota FJ 45 or Chevy Blazer? 

I'm thinking about adding a utility bed of sorts, for hauling some gear - who knows? maybe these are used for patrolling remote places? or research?  whatever the case, I think it will be more interesting, maybe a streamlined version of an Ian McCue air ship?  I don't know just yet - 

Ok, thanks for having a look 

Cheers

Nick  

• Like 12

Nick, let your creative juices flow freely. Just about anything goes, but it should look like it might work, if only on another Planet where they never invented algebra and all that nonsense.

• Like 3

You appear to have a sensible plan for creating your machine and that's always a good start (a good start is important in Formula One. 🤖) Having overcome the gravity aspect, it should be straightforward to add forward motion - going straight forward is something which human technology mastered yonks ago. I used to suspect Gravity was only a loose concept, not an iron Law as Newton seemed to think. But if gravity isn't really real, how can I explain several incidents of dropping a half-made sandwich, only to watch in horror as it hit the kitchen floor "butter side down" - and that's the worst outcome: picking bits of fluff off it etc. so I could resume preparing my snack. Everyone knows it's ok when it lands butter side up - you can eat that, can't you? [Government warning: No, You Can't. Darn you, Gravity!]

A possible nickname for your sleek overlander might be "Newton's Nightmare" - or "The Sleek Overlander".

• Like 2

@Peter2 Apparently there is a five seconds rule for dropped food. So long as it is on a reasonably clean surface obviously. 

This machine may go forwards but will need reverse gear too! Hmmm

• Haha 1

Hi gents, 

ok, I guess we're moving! or tying to make this move!  

@rockpopandchips, yes!  with my complete lack of knowledge of aviation, and well, shaky understanding of physics, we should be good to go!  of course it will fly! 😄

@PeteH1969, ha! a glorified Fiat eh??? 😄 a perfect base for this! 

@Pete in Lincs, yes!  the goal is to demonstrate convincing realism! that is, to make it look close enough to be credible!  

@Hunter Rose, thanks!  yes, that's the plan!  I'm trying to get the basics done and at least somewhat believable, but as @Pete in Lincs, there is that little problem of going in reverse....???hmmm - well, as this is air ride, maybe maybe it pivots in place?? hmm, sort of like turning a tank? lock one track and turn the other?? but with thrust???🧐😄 Maybe a big fan on the front??

@Peter2 yeah, about that....😄  In case you need more proof, think of the treasure chest of etch, small brass bits, resin bolt heads and other gems hidden in plain sight directly beneath the workbench!  I know they are there somewhere!  

@Thom216, thanks!  let's see how it goes!

And on we go - first up, well, only having an idea for this, well, it seemed like a good idea to just keep building:

53692400539_c898aa6b18_b.jpg

So, what you see here, obviously, 😄is the rear anti gravity device for lift, and two engines for thrust!   The majority of examples of these vehicles I saw placed four anti gravity devices around the vehicle, one on each corner.  But, it occurred to me that by doing this, you are just adding more places where the antigravity unit could rip from the hull - especially in the back which would likely be more heavy than in the front.  So, I made up one bigger device, and placed it in the middle, attached to the monocoque! perfect!  leaving room for engines in the air ducts. 

The idea, being the bigger anti-g unit is doing the heavy lifting, merely defying gravity that is!  As this would be a herculean task, the thrust would require less force than if they were also being used to, uh, defy gravity, so smaller engines of some kind go on each side - 

53692048551_87838ca968_b.jpg

53692400489_a8b74494cb_h.jpg

et voila!  these F1 cars prove a nice base for this!  I have carefully cut up a lot of the red plastic, but it's coming along.  As for the anti-g:

53691168432_48da7bd999_b.jpg

So I did some quick calculations and figured that this should be about right! or, well, it looks a lot like what it's supposed to, and it fits!    Thankfully, I have plenty of left over parts!

53691168412_09aae37f80_b.jpg

And where it sits today - so, on we go!

Cheers,

Nick 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Nice centralised anti gravity whirlygig. Now, where to mount the flux capacitor?

If you're going to float you might as well time travel while you're at it!

• Like 1

A Dyson???? how hurtful!  Model builders have feelings too!! 😄😄 

I'm still working on the calculations for defying gravity, but I'm getting very close, I think my findings will be pretty big.

As I'm struggling a bit with gravity, I began thinking about horizontal control - how can I make the vehicle turn or not turn under power?  so a guy went ahead with some basic calculations:

53696316536_297783e826_b.jpg

53696316551_38931fc552_k.jpg

The results are clearly obvious enough 😄  to work, this will need twin tails/rudders to perform.  So, went about making up some pretty sassy tails:

53696757530_969e0e1495_b.jpg

53696663604_7918dfe8ec_b.jpg

53696757485_3dde85af69_b.jpg

As a result of my rigorous analysis (🧐😄) I located the bases for two tails, one on each side, just inside the engines.  Naturally, these needed to be canted outward, at a 20 degree angle - what a treat!

As this is supposed to be an overlander, the space between the tails is for gear!

To work through this I made a simple, but very useful template:

53696526738_9cc629c810_b.jpg

Perfect!  ideal for laying out the tails and setting the base angle too!

But, to get this done, some remarkably ugly assembly:

53696663569_f465b2bd57_b.jpg

Hmmm, while these are giant at 1/20 compared to what you might see in 1/48, their frame and inner ribs are absolutely tiny.....this picture makes them look huge.  They are not.  

53695425767_829b39571f_b.jpg

How much simplicity and beauty?  All of it! 😄......and, with some skin:

53696757480_3f7de6c355_b.jpg

Not bad.  This was some slow going, but, I now have two almost matching tails.  I'll scribe the rudders into the surface.  Believe it or not, I pondered making each piece with two parts, tails and rudders....I was then hit by a tsunami of common sense!  No, one piece with some scribing will be just mint!

Thanks for having a look - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 9

Hello gents - 

Am pleased to report that I'm making some discernable progress:

53701919860_7f998cc9e4_b.jpg

As this will need some landing gear, I built up a bay for it to squeeze into, which allowed me to push ahead a bit more with the cockpit

53701486756_cf9acaece8_b.jpg

I managed to finish the floor and add a console, and on the underside:

53701486761_5723d93c8c_b.jpg

A nice and tidy fit.   The ugly chewed up plastic on the left, well, the price a guy pays when designing as he goes - I'll clean it up later.    There are relatively few straight pieces of material in here, so lots of filing, sanding and reworking.  I had some pictures of this area, showing the wheel in the up position - and, not to worry, I deleted them, so, just imagine a nice fit! 😄 and what it looks like as  whole:

53701827824_85da74a52c_h.jpg

One goal was to try and keep or at least not detract from the basic F1 car lines, so, adding the landing gear bay required some head scratching.  To do this, I would add a piece or two on the underside, then essentially mirror them on the inside - I'm working on the doors now.  The body work is thin styrene over internal ribs. 

The rear poses its own problems:

53701827829_dc3b28ecbe_h.jpg

Like the front, I'm adding room for bays that will fit the landing gear and those huge tires under the body.   I'll add in some hydraulics, like the ram in the front, to suggest that this gear will tilt inward when flying about.  The body work and bay doors is requiring plenty of fussy work, but it's coming along. 

thanks for having a look 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, Stickframe said:

but it's coming along. 

It certainly is. I think you'll need a ladder to access the cockpit?

The Star Wars anti gravity machines don't even have landing gear. They just constantly hover. Which, though unnatural, saves a lot of messing about!

I had a thought about the lateral steering etc. Puffer jets, as on Harrier wingtips perhaps? It saves fitting fans etc.

• Like 1

Thanks guys- 

@Pete in Lincs, ha, you should know I enjoy messing about!, and @Hunter Rose, thanks, yes, the landing gear - the subject of plenty of messing about indeed - lets start in back:

53706546658_bb92fdfe0a_b.jpg

53706773655_bb92fdfe0a_b.jpg

So, while my donor kit, an F1 car, certainly has some stylish lines, it doesn't provide much room for shenanigans, like adding landing gear and their storage for example.   To resolve this I added a lower section to the monocoque which would at least suggest that these giant tires and their gear could be folded in - what a treat.  To do this, I tried to maintain vernacular the car's lines, which curve and swoop - hmm....happily, I kept an old set of railroad curves, which are/were used for drawing very long, curves which are necessarily quite flat, which is ideal for this too - so, I did the mortal sin of cutting styrene, while using the radius curve as a jig - the drafting gods were likely not pleased 😄 

With the body work in place, next came some detailing to the landing gear and making up some bay doors.  As you can see - plenty of styrene and some remnant Aber PE from a T-55 Enigma - a natural choice for adding some stiffeners!  Naturally, you can't see the two hydraulic rams added to each side!  😄

53706546653_6854c2aad4_h.jpg

Above you can see the hull, doors and gears in some context - 

53706773635_7760c2694b_h.jpg

The front doors worked relatively smoothly, but as they are not as robust as the rear, this was a bit nerve wracking.

53706667599_7063490e4a_h.jpg

53706667604_2ca91053a5_h.jpg

I've since moved into the cockpit, to continue my struggles - like the rest, lots of slow going! 😄

Thanks for having a look 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 8

For this post, getting back to some of the more adventurous parts of the build - the forward anti-g units:

53712106501_aac37d6591_b.jpg

53712106471_e5a061b421_h.jpg

53711199472_9c5ab669d3_h.jpg

This has taken some head scratching - and I'll leave it a that!  I'm not convinced this is done, but, don't want to start chasing some weak ideas and wind up with something I really don't like  😄

53711199482_6f73060ce6_b.jpg

I've kept this build somewhat modular - while glue is setting up in one place, I've worked on another, including the cockpit!  Which now has panels for the pilot and copilot, and a stick for the pilot - 

Back to overall:

53712321238_ed6ca3057c_h.jpg

So, while the tails turned out as hoped, the rest of the back will get more attention - I'm not altogether sure what that means, but something will change 😄

53711199452_0901620672_h.jpg

53712442769_e31a282aee_h.jpg

53711199457_c9d3394822_h.jpg

In the last few, you can see all three anti-g units installed - two smaller in the front, one larger in back.  For a relatively small model, there is plenty going on now, so it's getting hard to handle - and easier to drop!  As I've now proven a few times 😄

So, I'll keep after this  - 

Thanks for having a look,

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Stickframe said:

I'm not convinced this is done

This sort of build very rarely is. They keep bubbling away in your head, as you fall asleep, or waiting for the kettle to boil. They rock!

Anyone can follow instructions...

• Like 1

This quirky model has a vaguely Japanese manga aesthetic. The final colour scheme should pull it all together. "Champagne" hue overall with "duck egg blue" highlights and red flashes?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Pete in Lincs, I agree!  no kit or instructions gives you an equal opportunity for a great build, or a bad one you can keep rebuilding until it gets better!  

@Peter2, yes! we are on the same page for color - I don't know what colors this will be, but it won't be bright red!

Now, back to serious business:

53712785016_0d0a0b5f90_b.jpg

I was not happy with the location or structure holding the front anti-g units- so, I cut them off.  Following the numbers:  1) as it was; 2) gussets added: 3) anti-g units cut off, and; 4) anti-g units reinstalled, now, about 1/2" narrower, and, beefed up!

thanks for having a look!

Cheers

Nick 

Edited by Stickframe
grammar
  • Like 6

Hello gents, well, considering how small this is, I have been able to install a lot of styrene:

53724327201_8cc87e67f8_h.jpg

53724545903_127ec7d344_h.jpg

53724545888_83fb839ce9_h.jpg

I spent what seemed like a lot of time getting the bracing for the front anti-g units to look and feel stable - followed by plenty of sweeping sheet material.  No, practically all curing and not a square piece to be seen 😄

53723431717_733fa798d2_h.jpg

The rear needed some help - it was fussy and included several varied planes and surfaces, so I cleaned that up with some unifying bodywork.

53724545893_f5d0363f20_h.jpg

And added some little wings up front - and of course, lots of styrene on the bottom:

53724545898_98283f449d_b.jpg

We now layers of sweeping ducts and channels!  

OK gents, thanks for having a look - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 4