Hello from deepest darkest Yorkshire

Yoshizakura

Hello you lovely people. I'm Keith. 

I haven't painted any models since I was around 14 when I was into the Games Workshop stuff. I'm 48 now and recently completed my first 1/35th scale WW2 tank. I think I must be a glutton for punishment because I enjoyed the track building of my RFM Tiger 1. 

I can certainly tell my eyes have changed in the 34 years since I painted. 

I've decided that I like the WW1-era armoured vehicles, and I'm currently building a Meng Whippet, which is in black primer as I type this. 

It's interesting to me to read on this forum that the colours for the WW1 tanks are controversial, as being colour blind (Greens/Browns), it's going to make life easier for me. Basically, I can paint it how I want (within reason). 

Anyway, I know this is the introduction part of the forum, but I'd like to ask, Is it too much to build a WW1 tank without all the mud? I plan to build the Whippet with a dry soil/dusty apperance. 

Well, toodle pip. Great forum. I look forward to being a part of it. 

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum. Tanks aren't my speciality but at some point your tank must have been clean. So just go with that. It's your model after all. 

At some point one of the armour guys will chip in with more help. In the meantime have a look around and see what information you can discover for yourself. 

Above all, don't be afraid to ask 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Keith. WW1 isn't really my area of interest. I mainly build WW2 Brit/Commonwealth and IDF, especially if it's a Sherman, but as Pete says, someone will no doubt be able to answer any queries that you may have. Just remember to ask them in the right place. That way you'll get a quicker response. Enjoy your time on BM, and enjoy your model building.

John.

• Like 1

No, I am Keith! 

Hello 👋  and welcome!  

To answer your question, you can build a dry dusty tank .... not all battlefields were knee deep mud! 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Keeff said:

No, I am Keith! 

Hello 👋  and welcome!  

To answer your question, you can build a dry dusty tank .... not all battlefields were knee deep mud! 

Keith 😁 

Doesn’t seem to be many of us about in the wild. I mean, who looked at a beautiful baby boy and decided Keith would be a great name? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Better than Aaron. At least they looked halfway through the book of names first!

If it was good enough (2nd place) for Vernon and Gladys Presley, it’s good enough me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoshizakura said:

Doesn’t seem to be many of us about in the wild. I mean, who looked at a beautiful baby boy and decided Keith would be a great name? 

My Mum for one, but thankfully she graced my oldest brother with it.  I got stuck with Stuart. :blush:

Welcome to the asylum.  BTW, if you visit the tank museum at Bovingdon in Dorset you'll find hundreds (literally) of tanks, all thankfully bereft of mud or any other forms of detritus, so there's no reason why you should feel obliged to cover your models with it!

• Haha 1

Welcome aboard! :clap2:

There are master artisans here that will show how to apply all the weathering black arts.

But no worry however you finish your models. I build mine clean. I did try weathering, but my artistic abilities are 💩

• Thanks 1

On 25/03/2024 at 16:04, Yoshizakura said:

but I'd like to ask, Is it too much to build a WW1 tank without all the mud? I plan to build the Whippet with a dry soil/dusty apperance. 

Probably easier to do then mud.

IMO weathering and washes are best done subtly, as it does not take much to create the effect of use,

I went for a dusty look on this build

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235095700-matchbox-176-morris-c8-mk-ii-17pdr-gun-willys-jeep-set

on a nail board rubbed various pastel chalks, (I bought a cheap set of earth tones)  yellow, brown, grey, mixed together.  Applying dry was OK, then I dumped the powder into a pallete, and added lighter fuel,  and brushed it on, it dries really fast, and you can adjust the deposition with a brush dipped in clean LF.  I was aiming for a dusty streaked appearance,  which had also been rained in, so streaked with dust, and in collected in the crevices, I brushed down the armour plate, and you can see how it has collected in the tyre tread and other places.    IIRC the soil in Normandy is like the soil in the South Downs,  the bedrock being chalk, and when dry it is a  light grey with a brown-purple tint.....  

51304493093_1c7d4bb08f_b.jpg

51343041782_b522621004_b.jpg

same method on this, oil paint wash, lighter fuel solvent, and then ground pastel chalk 'dissolved' in lighter fuel 

51908547602_ac3e2673d8_b.jpg

from

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235104634-pk-78-m16-half-tracknow-with-an-added-p5002-american-infantry-figure/

As with anything like this, practice on something else first, I had a few built tanks from a jumble,  but a cheap toy will work, as long as you can see the effect and learn what does or does not work for you.

The last bit is important, as you can find masses of flash vids on youtube that look very impressive,  and are, technique and material wise,  but are not always very true to life, and often dead wrong, like rusty tracks.... which are made of manganese steel which doesn't rust for example, or bright metal scratches and rust on armour plate...

Many are subtly disguised adverts for certain products as well..

In my case, my oil paints are from the 70's, and the pastel chalk came off ebay or Amazon

s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201601376116

These are pretty chalky,  a better brand may work better.     Bear in mind many modelling products are just something else sold in smaller expensive containers with MODELLING added to the label,  they have not been blessed with some special magic properties by a model fairy..... not that I am in any way at all cynical :rolleyes:

Well worth posting up a work in progress and asking for input.  

HTH

• Like 1