Scratchbuild Space Freighter

Hi Modellers

Well I've had a relaxing break away from the spares boxes and the glue, but I suddenly got the itch to make something.
Unlike previous builds, this will be a short build as I have a window of a few weeks to crack on with it before other stuff gets in the way, so here we go.

Basically, I have an old camera lens which is no good any more thanks to the dreaded fungus, so I decided to make something of it as I did with another old lens a few months back. I took it apart, cleaned off all the grease and then started playing with bits and pieces from the spares box to see if I had enough bits to quickly make a spaceship of some sort.

Here are the lens pieces, reassembled into a different order and glued into place.

5zk2cICY_t.jpg

3dyWZ5Ad_t.jpg

And here it is with a tin can glued on the end. This will be a passenger compartment, or possibly a storage container (which is ironic considering that it's a tin can).

llNLBUjv_t.jpg

This is a pile of bits which I think might end up glued to the spaceship eventually, not sure at the moment as I didn't bother making a sketch, I just wanted to wing it and see what happens (although I seem to remember telling myself a while back to not do that because it never works :( ).
The white thing is a light bulb holder from an Ikea table lamp. The lamp was binned but I kept this bit because I thought it had an interesting shape - yes, this is how my brain works these days.

XthbbK4K_t.jpg

Finally these last pictures shows a spaceship coming together - the pink thing on the end is a docking hatch which has some greeblies, including some staples and some bits of plastic sheet. The silver mudguards (made for a previous build but never used) will be glued around the hull and will probably be painted black to look like solar panels. The Ikea bulb holder will be the main engine and will probably be silver as I have a lot of silver paint to use up.

80PUduYC_t.jpg

egV9BoMn_t.jpg

pshCyhMn_t.jpg

gMsVeiwK_t.jpg

Thanks for watching, another update will be along soon, either that or a bus replacement service.
cheers all
Monty

• Like 17

The beginnings look very promising and very old school, in the best sense of the word.

Besides this reminds me of the good old days when a camera was more than just a micro lens connected to a microchip...

25 minutes ago, Uncle Monty said:

I just wanted to wing it and see what happens (although I seem to remember telling myself a while back to not do that because it never works :( ).

Never is too strong a word. In my experience, about half of the attempts end in failure 😝

• Like 1

It works for me. I remember your previous camera ship too.

1 hour ago, Uncle Monty said:

but I kept this bit because I thought it had an interesting shape - yes, this is how my brain works these days.

I've had that problem for years. Got boxes of interesting shapes. There's no cure. I've tried pills, yoga, yoghurt, Even the chanting and muttering is useless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

Now THAT is a great use for staples!

Like where this is going, I'll be following with interest :popcorn:

Thanks HR

I've used staples before, they're great for radiators, air intakes, etc. Plus you can make them any length you want.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, voozet said:

The beginnings look very promising and very old school, in the best sense of the word.

Besides this reminds me of the good old days when a camera was more than just a micro lens connected to a microchip...

Never is too strong a word. In my experience, about half of the attempts end in failure 😝

I bought this lens back in the 80s for my Ricoh SLR (a very good workhorse of a camera).

I still have film cameras but because of the rising cost of developing the film, these days I use my Fujifilm XT5, which actually looks and works very much like an old-school SLR, so I kind of get the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It works for me. I remember your previous camera ship too.

I've had that problem for years. Got boxes of interesting shapes. There's no cure. I've tried pills, yoga, yoghurt, Even the chanting and muttering is useless.

:)

My man cave is full of similar boxes. It looks like one of those shops in the Harry Potter movies.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I've found that the frogs won't stay still long enough for the glue to set.

I've tried. They're too slimy for the glue to stick.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Safetypin said:

Already start's to look like a freighter, great job.

The use of staples is a very good idea!

Curious how they look when they are painted.

Cheers, Nico.

Hi Nico, thanks. I'll use whatever is lying around as long as it looks like it might actually work in real life. And there's no way I could make something that looked like a radiator grill at that size, I haven't got the patience for it!

Hi Fellow Modellers

I was able to finish gluing on the greeblies and also sorting out the various solar panels, which meant, yes, time to get on with the fun stuff and get some paint on it.
The solar panels are sections of drainpipe. I glued plastic pads to the inner curves so that they would sit a little above the curve of the hull, which I hope will make them look a little bit more interesting. They will be painted black (of course) with a few bits of detailing.

So here we are before undercoat:

4U0n1mhr_t.jpg

sL0C9gti_t.jpg

zy1mN3DZ_t.jpg

And here we are after.

KbMcsWLW_t.jpg

TrTdWUyQ_t.jpg

N907EBaH_t.jpg

gDN35iof_t.jpg

Thankfully it does look a little bit more like a space freighter and less like an explosion in a junk shop.
The final colours will be gunmetal for the rocket nozzle and a variation of that for the ship - it's actually car paint, Vauxhall SIlver Lake. It's a nice variation on gunmetal with a hint of green. Whether that subtle green tint will show in the photos is a question worth asking. Another question is which car was this used on? Not that I care, but it's fun to think that somewhere out there a salesman called Dave is driving around in a car that is the same colour as my spaceship.

Here we are, with a coat of 'Silver Lake' on the hull and gunmetal on the rocket nozzle:

lpMmp1y4_t.jpg

ZmHYxt2a_t.jpg

bArt0cdk_t.jpg

p6EfRaoa_t.jpg

snhDRxTt_t.jpg

As I suspected, the 'lake' bit doesn't show up all that well in the photos, oh well.
The next update should arrive in a few days, unless there are leaves on the line. Or the wrong type of rain.

cheers all
Monty

• Like 12

Thanks guys

It's actually quite a nice colour :)

16 hours ago, Richard E said:

Interesting work - with the natural metal base coat it's starting to look like something which Elon Musk would send to Mars (or beyond).

If Elon wants to discuss licensing terms he knows where to find me...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Evening All

Back at the Man Cave a great deal of frenzied activity has been happening. And after that, some model making.
First of all, I realised that the little plastic guards for razors actually fitted perfectly onto the rear of the hull, so I raided the bathroom and scrounged enough to go around the back end, on the ridges. Here you can see what they look like with primer:

ITzrysrd_t.jpg

Next, I added some paint to the rocket nozzle. I used Game Color brass and gun metal and silver to create the effect (hopefully) of super-heated metal. I sploshed on some black acrylic across the 'vents'. I also added a wheel inside it. I think the wheel came from a toy car - don't ask me where the rest of the car is.

mh16VZQv_t.jpg

WM9Uz8cp_t.jpg

HHcCwTpn_t.jpg

These cube things have been used before - I grabbed them off the coat hangars that we seem to have thousands of, for some reason. I decided that by adding some small tank wheels they could be attitude jets.

LD9PoxsR_t.jpg

I decided to make a proper stand for it using some 5mm plastic sheet, similar to the one I made for the previous space freighter. I can't leave it sitting on a squashed takeaway tray for ever. Here it is, just been assembled and waiting for its coat of primer:

IbYh2cWu_t.jpg

n4IUJEWD_t.jpg

Finally we can see the freighter starting to come together. The attitude jets and solar panels are on, the rocket nozzle is on, now it needs a bit more paint detail, dirtying down and decals. I will probably use up some of my spare Expanse MCRN decals as that saves me the bother of trying to invent my own logos. What was that about modellers not being lazy?

B51u3tp4_t.jpg

YT1woKrI_t.jpg

YbTKsYFA_t.jpg

vbn7d5Y3_t.jpg

fma3DdMy_t.jpg

Anyway, the next update will probably be the last, after that the final stop will be the RFI, unless we have engineering works in which case you'll have to get out and walk.

cheers all
Monty

Edited by Uncle Monty
Image problems again
  • Like 11

5 hours ago, silverfox63 said:

Am I the only one getting a Babylon 5 vibe here?

Cheers,

Chris.

Not sure on that as I never watched the show but I heard good things about it.

1 hour ago, Hunter Rose said:

Man this is looking great! Good work with that base too

Thanks !

I'm at the stage now of applying decals, and then a coat of gloss varnish to seal it all in. That should be it. I've decided to use up some spare MCRN decals so this will be a Martian Marine Corps freighter.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 7:16 AM, Uncle Monty said:

...What was that about modellers not being lazy?...

That usually comes about near the end of the build! 

Cool looking 'real world' ship.

On 01/04/2024 at 17:25, Thom216 said:

That usually comes about near the end of the build! 

Cool looking 'real world' ship.

Thanks! I guess it could work as a real ship, it's clunky and ugly enough :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It looks very good indeed. 

I also have those coat hanger cubes and the razor guards in the spares boxes!

They are the gift that keeps on giving :)

• Like 1