Tamiya 1/72 F-84G as a RDAF RF-84G in full camo.

This will use the Hi-Decal sheet 72-047 to do the fully camouflaged option on the sheet. I have got a modified Fletcher PR tank from Jean-Pierre at Mode Art Decal Systems & am pleased to be able to confirm it is a very close match to the Platz T-33  tank I'll be using on the other side so it is good to be able to lay @Diego's fears on this to rest.

A quick shot of all the bits & pieces I\ll be using on this.

IMG_20240220_210221

I have already started assembling the cockpit, detail painting being done with Vallejo acrylics. What a joy it is to start a kit where everything just fits & the instructions show all I need to progress on this. 

Steve.

• Like 9

On 2/20/2024 at 10:50 AM, stevehnz said:

This will use the Hi-Decal sheet 72-047 to do the fully camouflaged option on the sheet. I have got a modified Fletcher PR tank from Jean-Pierre at Mode Art Decal Systems & am pleased to be able to confirm it is a very close match to the Platz T-33  tank I'll be using on the other side so it is good to be able to lay @Diego's fears on this to rest.

A quick shot of all the bits & pieces I\ll be using on this.

IMG_20240220_210221

I have already started assembling the cockpit, detail painting being done with Vallejo acrylics. What a joy it is to start a kit where everything just fits & the instructions show all I need to progress on this. 

Steve.

This is a very project, Steve. I’m looking forward to seeing this come together. Very nice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

It should get some love any day now, the hop season is done, my weary limbs are just about healed & I'm running out of excuses. :) I did actually sand back a bit of card I'd glued on the wingtip after removing the kit wingtip tank, the tank from the Platz T-33 has less sticking off it than does the resin photo tank from MAS.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been plugging away at this one, fuselage together & wings in place, now gluing the wing tip tanks in place, the resin Fletcher photo tank with superglue gel & when I'm happy that has cured enough, the Platz T-33 standard Fletcher tank. One thing I'm seeing is the photo tank fin will be pointing down slightly & the Platz tank fin will be pretty much level. The Hi-Decal directions seem to indicate level is the way to go so I'll be clipping the fin off the resin tank & reattaching it flat unless someone knows different. Photos in the next day or two. Speaking of two, tomorrow is only two weeks to go, must be time to panic. :worry:

Steve.

Fletcher tanks in place now, a bit more of a pfaff than anticipated, firstly getting the camera window pointing down as indicated by the instructions , then getting the Platz tanks to match without any fixed locating shapes, all by eye & TLAR. then clipping off the fin on the photo tank & refixing to match the one on the Platz tank which appeared to be at the correct angle. Whew, I think its looking OK now & the things that were daunting me out of the way mainly. A little tidy up of the tank joints after some curing & it'll nearly be paint time. :)

IMG_20240414_225214

Steve.

• Like 6

This got its first coat of Colorcoats PRU blue on the underside as well as a coat of green on the underside of the tanks. The Hi-Decals colour calls suggest Humbrol 02 Emerald Green for for this green. Looking at this photo posted by @Diego a couple of years ago though, I reckon it looks like a paler green than my tin of 02 anyway so I have gone for Hu 131. A mid green which I think will show up the lightning flashes which are clear in the centre part of the decals, just nicely. I think I might be looking for a slightly paler version of Dark Sea Grey to maintain the contrast visible on the wings too.

F-84GKA-CKA-DogKA-B.jpg

Steve.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stevehnz said:

This got its first coat of Colorcoats PRU blue on the underside as well as a coat of green on the underside of the tanks. The Hi-Decals colour calls suggest Humbrol 02 Emerald Green for for this green. Looking at this photo posted by @Diego a couple of years ago though, I reckon it looks like a paler green than my tin of 02 anyway so I have gone for Hu 131. A mid green which I think will show up the lightning flashes which are clear in the centre part of the decals, just nicely. I think I might be looking for a slightly paler version of Dark Sea Grey to maintain the contrast visible on the wings too.

Steve.

Hu-131 seems indeed to be a very good choice, taking into consideration the scale effect :thumbsup:

In fact, it's the same color as on the squadron badge on KA-D.

Later (ca. 1958) RDAF' PR flight RF-84F Thunderflashes ( a.o. 53-7458 KA-A, 53-7571 KA-E,  53-7574 KA-F ) had the whole tail painted with the same black and green motiv. 

Edited by Diego
  • Thanks 1