Primaris Space Marine Captain, W40K

One for the Warhammer fans out there. 

There are a surprisingly large number of sci-fi nerds, er, modellers, where I work. We decided to have a wee painting competition, just for fun. I'm not expecting to win, the standard is way too high for that, but it was a fun exercise and padding out the numbers should give the eventual winner more of a sense of achievement. (Yeah, I'm an insufferable team player. Sorry about that. :P).

The rules were simple- basically one 32mm mini, W40K or W40K adjacent, 16 days to complete the entry. We were allowed to assemble and prime minis prior to the start date and got a couple of days extra grace to submit entries in the end. I really appreciated them! 

I picked this handsome fellow from my Imperium collection. If you're not familiar with the name, it was one of those part works magazine subscriptions sold by Hachette. Weekly magazines with interesting stuff like lore/fluff, painting and assembly guides, a copy of the then current W40K rules and a bunch of scenarios to play, with minis, paint and modelling tools accompanying each issue. I really enjoyed it, although it almost doubled my pile of shame...

If you like the mini, I believe Games Workshop are still selling it on line, although I haven't seen one in their brick and mortar store for a while.

IMGP1949

IMGP1951

IMGP1952

IMGP1953

IMGP1954

IMGP1955

IMGP1956

IMGP1957

I ran out of time- I paint really slowly! At some point I might revisit the golden halo thingie over his head, fill in the scroll on the shin and finish off the plasma pistol (it could do with more contrast on the bit that's supposed to glow). But for now it's into the cabinet for this wee chappie. I quite fancy painting up a few of his men and some opposition for them to face. Thanks for reading if you got this far. As always, constructive critique and mickey taking comments welcome. I'm mostly here for the craic! :D

• Like 15

22 hours ago, Peter2 said:

Lovely. You might write a short word on that scroll, such as PAX, with a fine marker, a quick solution.

Good idea (and a top tip!), but there's no hurry any more. I was thinking of sketching out the lettering in a gothic font in a dark brown, then overpainting with a dark gold and highlighting (carefully, less-is-more kind of idea) in silver. If I ever get around to it I'll post more pics. Like I said, I paint at a pace that makes snails look like speed freaks! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent figure painting, my step daughter and her fiance would absolutely love this, they are big War Hammer fans/collectors.

• Like 1

Good job on the painting :yes:

My only criticism is that the pics look a little dark on my phone :photo: 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 1:29 PM, Mike said:

Good job on the painting :yes:

It was a rush job on the pics- like I said, it was a limited time competition, I paint really slowly, the pics were grabbed on the night before we submitted entries. 

When I get around to tidying up the mini I'll take some against a better background. They should read a little brighter. Watch this space! ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2024 at 12:17 AM, Peter2 said:

Lovely. You might write a short word on that scroll, such as PAX, with a fine marker, a quick solution.

On 3/10/2024 at 1:29 PM, Mike said:

Top tip actioned:

IMGP1970

And tidied up, gold plated, all that George, along with some attention to other parts of the mini I wasn't happy with. The plasma pistol came out pretty well, I think? (Engages smug mode... ;)). Not sure it shows on the photos...

IMGP1971

Talking of such, is that any brighter on your 'phone, Mike?

• Like 3