F282 Voodoo RF-101C Sun Run #3

rob Lyttle

I have another contender loitering in my stash and this could be a likely scenario for it to get onto the building bench. 

I developed a real liking for the F101. Sheer beauty in shining metal, nothing short of sculpture! And when I discovered that McDonnell's chief test pilot, the guy who took the 1st Voodoo airframe clean through the sound barrier in level flight without even trying, was called Rob Little, that was the absolute clincher for me. 

I have a couple of photos of the man, I'll see if I can find them in the archives. 

Anyway, I went through a stage of picking up 101s and building a few of various types. My latest acquisition is a much wanted Monogram Century Series two-seater in 1.48. 

But this Frog kit has not been built yet. 

To be honest there's not much to it,as illustrated by the instructions. 

20240205_225936

20240205_230039

I mean, that's it!

The box contents are this...

20240205_230114

Not too sure about the decal sheet. I have a few spare items in the spares box. 

2 options are catered for, a bare metal shiny bird based at Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire with the 66thTRW in 1964, and a camo scheme from Vietnam 1967. 

Gotta be the shiny Voodoo for me!😎

I'm planning on a quick and easy build from the box to get another tick put up on the group list. Probably going to play 2nd fiddle to the Lockheed Ventura project but look, we've got ages, haven't we??👍

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 11

11 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

guy who took the 1st Voodoo airframe clean through the sound barrier in level flight without even trying,

OK OK slight exaggeration by me. Mach0.9 Got a bit carried away there in my head. 

He made his way up through McDonnell Douglas Co right to the top 👏 

• Like 1

Great choice and I do believe this is our first Frog boxed ‘Hasegawa’ moulded kit presented for this GB. You’ve just gotta love that boxart which probably sells this kit all on its own. 

We’ll all be watching this one come together. Cheers and all the best .. Dave 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Just the one, Pat. I'm not sure what happened there. I put up the correction post soon after and there it was....

Hi Rob,

I have had that happen a couple of times of late when making an edit just after the initial post - not sure if it is me being clumsy or the website throwing one of its little wobbles. It is a nice enough kit - I bought one not long after it came out and over the years it has gone from NMF to camo. I still have a Microscale decal sheet for the F101, if it is any help? The sheet had options for 3 camo planes, one of which I have used and one NMF from 363TRW which is unused except for the stars, the black walkway lines, the lines on the drop tanks and the red fuselage warning stripe AFAIK.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The nose of this kind of Voodoo is loaded with cameras. The only reference on the model of this is a set of 5 little transparencies and recesses moulded on the plastic. 

What I have in my possession is the Tan Model version of the Republic RF84 Thunderflash with copious amounts of detail in the camera compartment. A very similar era, maybe simultaneously in active service? 🤔 But I won't be building an installation of cameras. 

So I'm going to limit myself to drilling out the window openings and see what will look appropriate before fitting the glazing. 

20240206_202709

Similar with the nose part...

20240206_205613

Other than that, the cockpit pan is in and I'm going to join up the sides. There is a slight issue, but I think good glueing and holding will overcome the problem. 

20240206_202806

The thing is, do I need weight in the nose to keep the front wheel on the ground? No mention in the instructions, and the main gears are fairly well back on the Voodoo,  but there is quite a bit of plastic on the rear of the model. 

I'm going ahead because I now have a series of 3mm holes in the nose area incl one right through the front 😎👍 3mm is just right for taking my 3mm solder wire which I often use for nose weight. I think I can build now and balance later 😇

Yeah, let's see if I can get those sides together in a permanent sort of way. 

• Like 7

This is the Hasegawa mould in a FROG box, in which case the fit is going to be excellent, if my experience of their F-102 and F-106 kits is anything to go by. 

They are simple kits but turn out really well. The Convair deltas have a higher parts count only because the kits include a representation of the missile bays.

Looking forward to this.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

if my experience of their F-102 and F-106 kits is anything to go by

I remember doing the 102 and the fit was pretty good all round. The challenge was indeed those missiles on extended frames. A bit short on detail but built-up OK. And a  display nameplate which was cool, esp when foiled. 

No such with this one I'm afraid 

• Like 1

And there we are...😃

20240208_114410

Easy-peasy.

Pretty much a complete airframe. Seems like no extra weight is required up front, but there's a backup plan if necessary. 

The horizontal tailplanes are one piece with dihedral built in and a quadrant in the middle which the rudder/fin-top piece fits over. This is a tidy solution,  simple and effective 👌 

All-moving tailplanes of course so no messing about with elevators 

• Like 10

Yes, Adrian, it marks a real stepchange in aero design. I mean the EE Lightning is a fair size of a beast too.

The 101 may be the biggest of them all, quite a benchfull in 1.48 from Monogram or Kitty hawk. 

I'm thinking spraycans on this but the weather is appalling currently 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well,  this has been loitering for some time, but always close to the bench. I'm planning on rattlecan spray priming and painting but the weather is lousy, cold and wet, and my spray booth is the great outdoors. So not too promising 😕 

A few items have been ticked off, however, in preparation for painting when the opportunity arises. The 2 tanks have gone on.

20240226_002208

And visable there is a scratch arrester hook. No mention of this in the kit but all the other Voodoos I have done have a hook fitted and I don't see that this type would be an exception. If it turns out I'm wrong it can always be removed. 

The airbrakes are fitted in the closed position, just to emphasise the great shape of the plane. 

20240226_002657

By no means a perfect fit but I think it'll tidy up OK. 

So roll on a break in the winter conditions to get a bit of primer on at least 

• Like 8

Well, how about that?...Today I had some spare time AND the sky cleared enough. I brought the primer indoors to warm up a little and set about the Voodoo. 

A hole drilled between the tanks to accommodate a wooden skewer using what's known as an "interference fit"😅. That's my handle. 1st primer run showed up a few issues but that's what it's for, right??

20240226_170825

20240226_170852

The kit plastic is that silver-grey stuff which displays a ghost effect when filed and sanded. A joint or surface detail feels smooth to the fingers but still carries a ghost of what has been removed or smoothed off. So the whole thing still looks rubbish! All you can do is prime and see what you get ....

Filled some items around the top of the fin, speed-brake doors and so on, and had another go. 

20240226_201030

To be honest, I'm quite pleased with what I got. The surface detailing is raised of course, but really quite finely done, intakes look satisfyingly thin and well shaped, and I'm liking the overall shape and look. The sawn off recon nose suits the plane instead of the usual pointed cone shape. Nice. 

Plus, I can "fly" the 101 out to the shed and back while holding the skewer stick, banking quite hard and making roaring jet noises as I go....😎😄

• Like 9

Here's a fascinating old newsreel that came up on YouTube. Irritating muzak wailing throughout, I'm afraid, and a very stylised typical voiceover. 

But interesting info on Operation Sun Run, a high speed test from LA to New York and back. 

Some eye-catching decor on these 101-Cs that I hadn't seen before 

• Like 3

I grabbed the chance to get some spray can metallic on. I've found the this particular paint dulls and degrades quite quickly with handling. Thought about getting some cotton gloves but then decided to try out with Pledge/ Future over the paint. It's not a stunning example of metallic paint anyway, it's a little bit "freckled" , but I'm sticking with it and the Pledge seems to have sealed and protected it. So far....

20240301_234500

20240301_234518

20240301_234557

20240301_234630

And having a go at the walkways. The decals are yellowed and I don't think I can use them.  "Put them in the SUN for a week or two" I hear you say 🤔 

Ha! Falls down laughing 🤣 The walkways are just the black outlines and require the panels to be painted first anyway. The yellow effect might be insignificant over the dark grey so I may try them here. 

Antiglare panel painted in olive and a 1st coat for the nose cone. I've tried to create a white band where the nose meets the fuselage metal. 

The engine cans are on too, waiting for some kind of burnt metal effect. It looks like Frog have marked out the wing leading edges as a moving type slat type of wing which I think is a mistake. I haven't seen any type of 101 with that feature. But I ain't going back to fix it now. 

• Like 9

I've been getting some info on the 1957 USAF Operation Sun Run. Six 101Cs set some records for transcontinental flight from LA to New York, and also the round trip back to LA 

Each aircraft had a distinct striped decor for easy identification because a lot of refuelling was required in a very controlled and systematic program. The USAF had started using their new KC135 Boeing tankers and Sun Run was a serious workout for Voodoos and tankers together. 

Anyway, some nice paint jobs on the Voodoos. Turns out that Hasegawa had issued a kit complete with the Sun Run decal sheet..... but I haven't got one 😕 

Found this guy's example though....

https://www.modellversium.de/galerie/8-flugzeuge-modern/8564-mcdonnell-douglas-rf-101c-voodoo-hasegawa.html

Lovely 😍 Looks like he's rescribed entirely. 

So I'm thinking I might have a go at scratch decorating with red stripes for Sun Run #3

20240302_213008

Just eyeballing and marking with a red felt pen. I've scribed a few of the structure lines onto the fuselage to get some reference points, and drawn the refuelling port on top of the fuselage. No hint of it's existence or position given on the kit plastic, but this German guy seems to know what the score is- I'm copying him!🤗

I'm visualising matt white base coat and red gloss over that 

• Like 6

I think I have the makings of Sun Run #3😎

20240304_115614

20240304_115649

That's one of the Frog decals applied. I was concerned that the red would show through the transfer and turn it a little bit pink--  I've had this happen before I have other decals in hand, from a Matchbox 101 and my thought was I could double layer if necessary to kill any pinkness. The old Frog decals seem to have done good in this respect and any yellowness isn't really showing. They do have a noticeable thickness though and excessive carrier borders compared to modern standards. 

I've taken a shot at the refuelling dock on top of the fuselage  ..

20240304_115700

I'll keep rummaging in the spare transfers box and see what's suitable. Actual airframe number will have to be printed 

• Like 7

• rob Lyttle changed the title to F282 Voodoo RF-101C Sun Run #3

Looking really nice with a splash of colour and decals on. I’m liking this one a lot. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

In addition to a few more decals, the seat has recieved a bit of scratch work, 

20240304_233350

A few straps and arm rests. Some extra paint touches and in it goes, 

20240305_183416

I borrowed an access ladder from another Voodoo--  something I scratch built --  and it looks quite tidy on this one. But I'd have to cut the one-piece canopy to pose it open 

20240305_183459

Next up I'm looking at the legs and wheels.  See if I can get her up on her feet 

• Like 4

Decision made to have the canopy closed. The content of the cockpit doesn't warrant close inspection,  so the ladder idea is shelved 

20240307_125622

Undercarriage is done and fitted and she's happy to stand with the tail up and nose wheel on the ground. 

20240307_125734

20240307_130120

A couple of wheel chocks already in place 

20240307_125515

The canopy itself has been done with foil tape strips and the only tricky bit was the front screen with the horseshoe shaped frame. There's a bit of disparity between the foil and the paint but I think I can tame it. Having the frames in foil makes it easier to brush paint. 

Just working my way through the various camera port transparencies 

• Like 6