A captured Panzer II (Academy 1:35)***Finished***

With the Chaffee just about done, time for the second project of the year. Something a bit different, although keeping with a theme of light tanks, I am sipping my toe in to German armour for the first time. Inspired by @Milan Mynar‘s build  of the Academy Panzer II Ausf F “North Africa, a little while ago:

I’m going to have a go at building the same one as captured by US troops in North Africa 1943. This was meant to be my Christmas holiday project, but it got sidetracked by the Ferret. From the look of the plastic in the box (see Milan’s build for sprue shots), it will be a fun build. If anyone knows of issues I need to look out for, let me know!

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 4

i'll join Keith @Keeff at the bar and watch this come together, I've not built the Academy Panzer II so can't offer any thoughts I'm afraid.

Do carry on in your own time

Stay safe           Roger

• Like 1

Simon, these new Academy kits, the Pz II and the Pz III are a real treat. 

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the build, and the weathering options are totally endless. 

I completed the Pz III build recently, and immediately ordered a second kit. 

• Like 1

And started. The plastic is pretty hard, but seems to work well with my usual cements. The hull is a flat pack affair that went really quick with no dramas. Academy have engineered it such that everything lines up well.

p?i=e7dbf397c2fcef5a2d3f2cbb070369d3

This however is not so good - rather deep injector marks on the rear faces of the sprockets. Greenstuff should sort that out.

p?i=dac25748c0febf476c173090a7ccfc11

Idlers were straightforward.

p?i=bb336b89aa01fc084f4a3ec69306ef38

Adding the axles and suspension was so easy - this is quite a change from the Bronco Chaffee! In no time at all, here was where I was at (sprocket and idlers are dry fitted).

p?i=2b28eaf24f7c470a2ea954e6f2be1d85

While that dried I started on the top of the hull which required some large got pieces to be added. I used some Mr Hobby Cement I had buried at the back of the draw - worked well for these big flat surfaces. Ran some Tamiya Extra Thin Cement along the edges to finish. So far so good.

p?i=1596619f5e6c5494011bdf4b5834ed3a

• Like 12

Thanks Roger. Another scorcher of a day, so not much chance to do painting other than a primer coat of Tamiya Acrylic Medium Grey on the suspension and underside of the hull. As expected Greenstuff made short work of the injector marks.

p?i=4216b910590419c23255cc8b1cb33658

Much of the time at the desk was gluing little bits to the top of the hull, I also got the turret sorted (the main armament is a dry fit at present).

p?i=eef825cab74179e281cf044fd0a55f3c

p?i=8e9807f2dd2c6457dfa9ed12f0a6ad02

p?i=2465d99d5a5e1e41b0c35807a62ce1de

It’s not a complicated build, but you do need to pay attention as they are lots of little differences between the options you are given. I have also realised I may need to do some scratch building as there are some little differences from the photos of the actual tank I am building a representation of and the kit as provided. That will make life interesting.

• Like 10

Thanks John, Keith and Ed.

9 hours ago, Tigerausfb said:

Greenstuff? Is it still available down under?

Certainly is in my local hobby shop, they have a whole range of stuff from Greenstuff World. This is the actual product I’m using:

p?i=fb8851b855f7d1d6a9ef8ddbb60050bc

• Like 2

I’ve been gradually painting the wheels and suspension each evening - find it very soothing after a long day at work. Also trying something new - Vallejo Grey Primer on the turret.  Went on nice and easy - certainly easier to handle than Tamiya paints in the current hot weather. 

p?i=fb675653caf076eb5e0e673c31e90c75

A few blemishes to sort out, but pretty happy with the result. This is the result of two thin brushed on coats.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SimonL said:

I’ve been gradually painting the wheels and suspension each evening - find it very soothing after a long day at work. Also trying something new - Vallejo Grey Primer on the turret.  Went on nice and easy - certainly easier to handle than Tamiya paints in the current hot weather. 

p?i=fb675653caf076eb5e0e673c31e90c75

A few blemishes to sort out, but pretty happy with the result. This is the result of two thin brushed on coats.

Please don't use the vellejo primer... It is terrible, and has the tendency to strip off, if you're too aggressive with your weathering. 

7 hours ago, Longbow said:

Please don't use the vellejo primer... It is terrible, and has the tendency to strip off, if you're too aggressive with your weathering.

Oh oh - bit late for this kit. I use an entirely water-based workflow for weathering so hopefully should be ok.

• Like 1

Too warm to paint this weekend so I focussed on construction. The captured tank I am building appears to have have some variation to what is presented in the box - which allowed my first serious go at some scratch building. I added another storage box on the right hand side, and a jerrycan holder on the rear left hand side. Latches for the storage box came from the PE fret that came with my recently built Chaffee. It’s a bit beaten up and crude, but to be fair it looks that way in the photos as well.

p?i=0bd995a2cd176ee6e29f502e2ed680f4

p?i=38a868a12c116a7e356263da17414609

Also in shot is the main hull which I have painted black inside to account for the open grills on the engine deck.

• Like 7