Hawker Typhoon 389P 1959 issue

TonyW

Another from me, the 1959 Typhoon, cat. no. 389P, in all its simple glory.

IMG-20240126-095607.jpg

A rake though my box scale kits turned up a duplicate Typhoon. It's all there bar the instructions. I should be able to manage without them, but if needed, I can use the sheet from the other kit!  I'm hoping for a quick build while the Comet builds are underway.

Close enough period references have been dug out in the form of a copy of the July '66 Aero Modeller. More for the cover to use as a photo prop but the plans inside might come in handy. The kit ran for years and was still in production when the magazine came out so the two could have been united for a build back in the day.

IMG-20240126-095822.jpg

Things look very close indeed. The fuselage is a bit short but the wings and prop are an exact match. The cannon holes on the leading edge match the plan to perfection.

I can't see me going for broke here but at the very least I'll fill the void where the radiator should be and add a basic cockpit as there's nothing in there at all. If it were not for the engraved markings the kit could pass for a much later one due to its very well done engraved panel lines.

More later...

• Like 11

And we're off!

A bit of parts cleanup and some priming started this morning. The sun making a welcome appearance helped with the light in the shed and a bit of picture taking happened.

IMG-20240126-115058.jpg

• Like 10

What a blast from the past. The details look to be nice and sharp, I suspect the moulded in markings disappeared in later year boxing? 
Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 2

My first ever model.

My Typhoon did yeoman service attacking my older brothers airfix Tiger tanks and German infantry on the billiards table.  If the Typhoon strike didn’t get them, rolling the billiards ball did…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I suspect the moulded in markings disappeared in later year boxing? 

The engraved markings were removed by AMT while they were producing the kit in the late 1960s, so FROG issues from the bagged version in 1969 onwards don't have them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Typhoon got pushed back a bit by the arrival of the Cortina also currently underway. The Typhoon itself has pushed back the Comet builds! Mission creep arrives early in the GB for me, yet again.

The Typhoon is plane shaped now. The fuselage is buttoned up, wings and tailplane added and primer applied. There's a tiny bit of filling here and there still to do but cammo can't be far away.

IMG-20240131-154847.jpg

• Like 9

A few more steps on the road to completion to report.

Cammo is now applied, two coats of each colour got the job done. Humbrol Extra Dark Sea Grey looked far to dark to me, so a suitable lighter version, also from Humbrol was substituted and I'm happy with the period look it gives. This build is never going to be about ultimate finesse or total accuracy, it's intended to be built as it may well have been back in 1959 or so.

IMG-20240203-144140.jpg

Once the paint had dried, transfers were tried. How poetic! They are a bit thick but still worked just fine after all these years.

IMG-20240203-150635.jpg

The prop blades have been given a coat of black and the spinner propped into place for the picture. I'm undecided about adding cockpit detailing at the moment. A bit would be nice, but I want to keep the period feel of the build.

More paintwork should happen today, along with a bit of work on the undercarriage and rockets. 

The build is rolling along at its own pace and I'm rather enjoying it. I'll have to find another easybuild kit to replace it once it's finished.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Extra Dark Sea Grey should look too dark for a Typhoon.  The correct colour was Ocean Grey.

Thanks Graham.

That copy of Aero Modeller shown at the top of the thread led me astray. The plan in there says DSG and EDSG. I had my doubts and winged it instead.

That's the FAA colour scheme.  Curiously, I have studied turning my old Frog Typhoon into a naval interceptor (got to be better than a Firebrand)  but think Hawker's could have gone to a simpler (in some ways) approach with a smaller wing extension (as flown on a fixed wing) and Fairey-Youngmann flaps to get the approach speed down.  As always, once you change one thing something else needs changing (Tempest tailplane?)  but I still think something better could be done.  This is of course for the fighter, not a torpedo bomber. 

It's a shame you didn't have the Scale Models with Bentley drawings, of some ten years later.

• Thanks 1

Looking good Tony. Personally, I’d leave the cockpit details for another kit. As you’ve pointed out, this is a (rather good) 1959 build and something that would have graced shop windows to entice the young Tony W’s to take up the hobby. 

Colours look good, but Ocean Grey is what you want for mid / late war Day Fighter scheme RAF aircraft such as the Typhoon. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

Once the paint had dried, transfers were tried. How poetic! They are a bit thick but still worked just fine after all these years.

IMG-20240203-150635.jpg

great work.

Interestingly the box art is more accurate in the roundel placement than the kit engraving.

There was a formula for upperwing  roundel placement,  1/3 of wing span in from wing tip to roundel centre, span being from centreline.

Typhoon was 84 inch

span 41ft7in, or 499 in, /2 = 249.5 /3 = 83.2  so not quite 84 inch.  

Hawker%20Tornado,%20Typhoon%20&%20Tempes

diagram from https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings/Hawker-Tornado-Typhoon-Tempest

which has all these monographs scanned

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

The plan in there says DSG and EDSG.

which is Temperate Sea Scheme.

Anyway, fantastic period build,  details above as I know you like to know for other  builds, you may well know the above but maybe of use to others.

cheers

T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a bit of a disaster with the build. A coat of clear, intended to even out the finish of the plane instead reacted on the port wing in a rather alarming fashion.

IMG-20240205-110018.jpg

A good flat off and repaint saved the day. It was a close run thing though. I nearly gave up on it as this one was only ever intended to be a bit of light relief while my other builds progressed.

Once sorted, I had a bit of a shove to get it finished. It's done now. Not the best build in the world, but it's one Typhoon more than I had yesterday. I'm happy with that.

IMG_20240206_131355.jpg

Here's the FROG model sat alongside the Airfix competition, also released in '59. There's not a lot in it really but the Airfix kit kicks the FROG one into touch on price and availability.

IMG-20240206-132425.jpg

IMG-20240206-132509.jpg

IMG-20240206-145146.jpg

• Like 11

Thats a wonderful result from that old box of bright blue bits Tony, the colours perfectly match the period boxart as well. 

Two additional ticks for the comparison with the equally old Airfix kit - nicely done. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1