Taiwan Retired Aircraft

Latinbear

Following on from the 4Aviation trip to South Korea and Taiwan in October here are some of the numerous airframes dotted around Taiwan.

We found the aircraft in an almost bizarre variety of locations ranging from the grassy common area of a block of flats down a side street to colleges, schools, technical institutes, universities and parks. The aircraft were frequently accompanied by tanks and sometimes missiles or guns. Those on the gates of the various educational institutions were obviously used to foreigners arriving unannounced asking to take pictures as we were granted entry in all but one case where there was an F5 and we told we needed to apply in advance for permission. 

There are numerous retired airframes behind the walls of military bases the tails of which can be seen from the road but in many cases you needed a camera on a pole and to be quick with it as these were often close to the main gate with guards on duty or there was no parking available. Razor wire was also another hazard hence my lack of photos of these aircraft. 

DSC_3974

DSC_4000

DSC_4050

DSC_4056

DSC_4061

DSC_4105

DSC_4116

DSC_4118

DSC_4139

DSC_4164

DSC_4169

DSC_4173

DSC_4184

DSC_4190

DSC_4202

DSC_4217

DSC_4234

DSC_4241

DSC_4263

DSC_4274

DSC_4535

23. This is part of the ROCAF museum at Gangshan. Unfortunately, it's not open to the public or at least not open when we were there. 

DSC_4536

DSC_4566

DSC_4574

DSC_4732

DSC_4736

DSC_4738

DSC_4772

DSC_4781

DSC_4782

DSC_4783

DSC_4784

That's it, thanks for looking. 

• Like 15

Hi Latinbear!

Another excellent selection of rare and often colourful types in a range of unusual and sometimes bizarre locations. It looks like Taiwan is similar to the USA in that retired aircraft can often be found on poles, in city centres, parks, schools, and outside municipal buildings all over the place!  It's good that so much military hardware is preserved and that you can mostly photograph without too much hassle of difficulty. It looks like a great trip and thanks for sharing.

Mark

• Thanks 1

A fascinating line up, the one that caught my eye was the PL.1, I remembered seeing one at an airshow many years ago & being quite taken by it. I hadn't realised the ROCAF had operated them. The schemes on the Turbo Trackers are nothing if not eye catching. 😊

Thanks for sharing these.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2023 at 7:00 PM, UberDaveToo said:

We have a retired ROCAF RF-101A Voodoo at the Robins Museum of Aviation:

RF-101C-Voodoo.jpg

It's since been painted as a RF-101C:

spacer.png

She looks great in the small image ;)

On 12/16/2023 at 5:02 PM, Latinbear said:

That's it, thanks for looking. 

It was a pleasure! You clearly had a great trip!!!

Martin

• Like 2

On 12/16/2023 at 6:06 PM, canberraman said:

Hi Latinbear!

Another excellent selection of rare and often colourful types in a range of unusual and sometimes bizarre locations. It looks like Taiwan is similar to the USA in that retired aircraft can often be found on poles, in city centres, parks, schools, and outside municipal buildings all over the place!  It's good that so much military hardware is preserved and that you can mostly photograph without too much hassle of difficulty. It looks like a great trip and thanks for sharing.

Mark

Thanks very much Mark. We were thrilled to be welcomed by so many people despite turning up on spec. Can you imagine having these dotted around housing estates and in schools around the UK? Phantoms, Jags, Buccaneers, Harriers, Sea Kings etc. It would be great but they'd be covered in graffiti and parks missing most likely.

On 12/16/2023 at 7:00 PM, UberDaveToo said:

We have a retired ROCAF RF-101A Voodoo at the Robins Museum of Aviation:

RF-101C-Voodoo.jpg

It's since been painted as a RF-101C:

spacer.png

Thanks for sharing this. I have to confess I think I prefer it in the natural metal scheme. Robins is not a museum I have been to but one of many I would like to see in the US. Maybe one day!  

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 6:35 PM, stevehnz said:

A fascinating line up, the one that caught my eye was the PL.1, I remembered seeing one at an airshow many years ago & being quite taken by it. I hadn't realised the ROCAF had operated them. The schemes on the Turbo Trackers are nothing if not eye catching. 😊

Thanks for sharing these.

Steve.

Thanks Steve; The Tracker schemes were certainly eye catching! As for the PL1 I didn't know they existed until I went to Taiwan. It was an educational and enjoyable trip in so many ways. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Great photos Ian. I'd forgotten how many we actually saw. There are so many on show, they all blend into one.

Have a great Christmas

Andy

Thanks Andy and compliments of the season to you and yours. I too had forgotten how many we'd seen (especially F-5s) until I went through the images. The real challenge though is remembering where they all were! 😁

Thank you so much for sharing these great photos! Taiwan and South Korea always seem to take great care of their gate guards and preserved aircraft. The way things are going in that part of the world right now, I hope they aren't sorry that they retired many of them!

Mike

On 12/20/2023 at 5:15 PM, 72modeler said:

Thank you so much for sharing these great photos! Taiwan and South Korea always seem to take great care of their gate guards and preserved aircraft. The way things are going in that part of the world right now, I hope they aren't sorry that they retired many of them!

Mike

Thank you for the kind words Mike. With the imminent retirement of the F-5s then there should be even more aircraft available unless they opt for some kind of strategic reserve but I have not read of any such plans. It is a shame that so many of the better preserved aircraft aren't more easily accessible but then they are on military bases so I guess that is understandable. 

On 12/24/2023 at 6:20 AM, exdraken said:

Oh wow!

Starfighters and Huns!

Fantastic, in great condition and accessible! 😀

Thanks!

Thanks ex Draken. Yes, it was a real treat to see so many of them and in so many locations too with people who were happy to let us in even at a weekend! Imagine that in Europe?