1/72 Hawker Tempest

Hello all,

Here is my last completed model for the year, the Airfix Hawker Tempest (A02109). I didn't use the kit decals for the main markings, instead using my Silhouette Portrait cutter for the roundels, SQN codes, serial number and walkways. I used Tamiya masking sheet but it was a bit uneven on the fuselage and under wing roundels so I might have to use vinyl like I did with the serial number next time. I also chopped off the gun barrels and replaced them with needles but apart from that it's all OOB. I used Humbrol enamel for the roundels but the rest of the kit was painted using SMS acrylic lacquers, followed by a panel wash and for the first time I used pencils for some weathering. 

Painted up in the colours of a 3 SQN aircraft flown by FLTLT John 'Bay' Adams RAAF in which he shot down a FW190 on 30 April 1945. Post WW2 he flew Mustangs in Korea with 77SQN, commanded 76SQN in Malta and the RAAF Contingent Vung Tau in Vietnam before retiring in 1979 as an Air Vice Marshall.

Thanks for looking and a Merry New Year to everyone. 

JG.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

WOW, this is one I've been searching for years, since reading Clostermans "The Big Show" where he mentions "Bay" as fearing neither God or the Devil.

Excellent model, captures the thoroughbred look of a Tempest.

/Finn

PS: I also have a Silhouette cutter. Any chance you could send me your cutter files? Would be much appreciated.

49 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

PS: I also have a Silhouette cutter. Any chance you could send me your cutter files? Would be much appreciated.

Thanks Finn, yep I can send them your way. PM inbound. 

Beautifully executed Tempest.  The painting and finish is just great.  And, thank you for providing a background story to the kit, it is always appreciated.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1