1/72 Dallachy Beaufighter TF.X - Finished

Good job on painting those collector rings! It's nice to see you painted the inside, too. Too many modellers fail to paint the inside of the rings the same as the outside. They paint them the same interior grey-green as the interion to the nacelle.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Good job on painting those collector rings! It's nice to see you painted the inside, too. Too many modellers fail to paint the inside of the rings the same as the outside. They paint them the same interior grey-green as the interion to the nacelle.

Chris

Thanks Chris, will add the silver colour at the front on the outside, then need to check refs a bit more as I think these machines had black paint to stop any glow, that chipped extensively and looks great. 

It is a shame that there are no pipes from the cylinders as well,  but I think it will be a step too far and a mojo taker trying to do them.

Chris

• Like 1

I've just checked through all the photos on the 404 Squadron site and all the Beaufighters have black collector rings.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I've just checked through all the photos on the 404 Squadron site and all the Beaufighters have black collector rings.

Chris

Thanks Chris,  excellent will do the silver next then the black over the top with suitable chipping at the front to show suitable wear.

Chris

50 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Here's the 404 Squadron site:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160323191529/http://404squadron.com/gallery1.html

Chris

Ooooooo brilliant thanks Chris, never thought to check  for that, I have been using the Aviaeology sheets for the Dallachy Beaufighter.  Thanks so much, I will ho and have a look though.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mark.au said:

Coming along nicely, Chris.  Nice work on the exhausts, and elegant solution.

Thanks Mark,  pleased with those, I now have the great fit and great detailing on the exhausts .

5 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Very nicely done on those exhausts Chris.

It's all looking braw.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  chuffed with how they turned out , last coat of Sky going on tonight too.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all

Underside now painted and ready for some fun painting the topside

spacer.png

Undercarriage doors look fabvwith some paint on

spacer.png

Exhaust collectors painted with Colourcoats night and chips added by brush

spacer.png

spacer.png

Quite pleased .

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 14

Nice paintwork on the exhausts and collectors, Chris. Those gear doors look very nicely detailed as well, could you tell me who makes them please?

James

• Thanks 1

Just now, 81-er said:

Nice paintwork on the exhausts and collectors, Chris. Those gear doors look very nicely detailed as well, could you tell me who makes them please?

James

Thanks James, pleased with the collectors,  yes the doors are lovely, they are Quickboost ones, they are meant for the Hasegawa Beau but when sat open , no one will know😉

Thanks

Chris

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Sterling progress Chris,

The exhaust collectors look great.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  quite pleased with them for brushwork .  Slightly anxious about getting the effects on the topside of this one😬

Chris

• Like 1

That does look good! I love Beaufighters - always one of my favourites! That Duck Egg Green/Blue/Sky Type S or whatever it's called these days looks very nice!

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Learstang said:

That does look good! I love Beaufighters - always one of my favourites! That Duck Egg Green/Blue/Sky Type S or whatever it's called these days looks very nice!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason,  pleased with it so far.  Do love a Beaufighter too, got two on the go 🙄 this and an FAA Mk.II.  The sky does look good, will start on the top side soon.

Chris

• Like 1

You're welcome, Chris! So, the FAA had some? That I did not know. How were these used? Like the Coastal Command Beaufighters?

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Learstang said:

You're welcome, Chris! So, the FAA had some? That I did not know. How were these used? Like the Coastal Command Beaufighters?

Best Regards,

Jason

I presume they were, I don't know too much about them. There wasn't much info that I could dig up , but I read on here that itcwas could have beenvthe varianf that the RAF could spare more easily. There are some pics online of them in Gibraltar  and the one I am looking at was in South  Aftica I believe, but I don't have the Kit from High Planes,  I am using a conversion and copying another model of the one High Planes produced. I just wanted to model a late Mk.II.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Chris,

All looking quite lovely - look forward to the EDSG going down!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

It's coming alive now, nice work on the paint so far, as well as those very well done collector rings and exhausts.

Thanks Mark, hopefully should get better now although might look worse before it gets better🙄. Pleased with those collector rings.

Chris

Hi all

Further progress, it always looks quite bad when the first coat is brushed on , all edges are free hand so some slight tidying will be required.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some colour is on, wahoo.

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 16

16 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

it always looks quite bad when the first coat is brushed on ,

I was thinking the exact opposite about what an excellent way to build up the final look of the paintwork Chris. Lovely work.

• Thanks 1