A-10 Thunderbolt II STGB - 31 names

Col.

13 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

nodnodnod  I've just been looking at the Blackdog sets.  They provide ludicrous amounts of detail!

They certainly offer the potential to create an interesting model. Given enough time and razor saw wielding. Tempted?

Having looked into exactly what is needed to make an accurate YA-10 I can safely say that I won't be going down that route! So a JAWS aircraft it shall be, though which of the 3 schemes I have yet to decide, probably 75-258 with the light tan background to the colours. I also have a back up plan of one with a temporary Winter camo covered by Two Bobs decals in case I stuff up the splotchy camo scheme for 258, though looking at pictures of the aircraft the paint finish looks like I applied it!

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Having looked into exactly what is needed to make an accurate YA-10 I can safely say that I won't be going down that route! So a JAWS aircraft it shall be, though which of the 3 schemes I have yet to decide, probably 75-258 with the light tan background to the colours. I also have a back up plan of one with a temporary Winter camo covered by Two Bobs decals in case I stuff up the splotchy camo scheme for 258, though looking at pictures of the aircraft the paint finish looks like I applied it!

I've a vague memory that the Matchbox kit was more representative of a YA-10 (now there's a challenge for you Craig ;) ) but it seems you've more decals in your stash than kits - now far be it from me to lead you astray but I must ask... W.W.E.M.D?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Col. said:

I've a vague memory that the Matchbox kit was more representative of a YA-10 (now there's a challenge for you Craig ;) ) but it seems you've more decals in your stash than kits - now far be it from me to lead you astray but I must ask... W.W.E.M.D?

Correct, on both counts!

The Matchbox kit does represent a YA-10 very nicely but I can't see myself building one of those and my decals are all in 1/48, and yes I have quite a few sheets for A-10's as I really like the aircraft and have very fond memories of seeing them when they were based over here including our school being buzzed by a pair the day after Operation El Dorado Canyon. A Woodbridge/Bentwaters bird is certainly on the long term to-do list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

I’m in…👍🏻☺️

You are in John :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

I am in for that. It will be a good reason to finally build an A-10 with the JAWS scheme, a decision that is pending for more than 10 years!

• Like 4

• Col. changed the title to A-10 Thunderbolt II STGB - 30 names
3 hours ago, sandros said:

I am in for that. It will be a good reason to finally build an A-10 with the JAWS scheme, a decision that is pending for more than 10 years!

After ten years of planning you'll be ready for this GB :D 

3 minutes ago, Col. said:

After ten years of planning you'll be ready for this GB :D 

Not exactly planning, but on the "to do" list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandros said:

Not exactly planning, but on the "to do" list.

Know exactly what you mean and an STGB is always a good way to make it happen in good company.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandros said:

At least I've done the first step. Detailing the nose landing gear wheel wel.

LANDING_gear.jpg

Fine work and so neatly done :goodjob:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I was thinking of doing the JAWS scheme myself. Wouldn't it be cool if all four different schemes were built. 

Dennis I will be doing either 75-0258 or 0262 so if you want any markings for either 0259 or 0260 then you are welcome to those mate.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Dennis I will be doing either 75-0258 or 0262 so if you want any markings for either 0259 or 0260 then you are welcome to those mate.

Which is the one with the green base ? 

• Like 1

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you have them yes please, I think that will be my 1st choice ? 

Not a problem mate.

I plan on popping across the pond in September to visit my son so I will post them to you from there, it will be a damn sight cheaper.

• Like 2

I've had an Italeri 1/72nd A-10 and a Superscale decal sheet kicking around for years just meaning to get around to so this GB may be the impetus I need, please sign me up.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Not a problem mate.

I plan on popping across the pond in September to visit my son so I will post them to you from there, it will be a damn sight cheaper.

Anywhere near Illinois, say within a 500 mile radius ? If so we could meet and cut postage completely ? To add we can talk shop and if there are any Museums nearby ? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Anywhere near Illinois, say within a 500 mile radius ? If so we could meet and cut postage completely ? To add we can talk shop and if there are any Museums nearby ? 

No, Oklahoma mate. Though it would have been great to meet up in person.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Oklahoma

Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain.

Now, try getting rid of that earworm!  :wicked: 

I'll get me :coat: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

No, Oklahoma mate. Though it would have been great to meet up in person.

Too bad I’ll be in Oklahoma in June, Im traveling through on my way to a military reunion in San Antonio. 

17 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain.

Now, try getting rid of that earworm!  :wicked: 

I'll get me :coat: 

You ain't just whistling Dixie I’ve been to Ft. Sill to watch Artillery training. There isn't much in Oklahoma except Oil, Cattle, and Coyote’s. 

• Haha 2