Seafire III PP979

3 hours ago, Dave Klaatu said:

Very nice build, love the paint!

Thanks Dave, very kind, hood old Humbrol for me.

3 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Great paint job, impressed by your brushpainting capabilities 👍

cheers, Jan

Thanks Jan very kind, I find brush painting most rewarding.

Thanks guys

Chris

7 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Top notch seafire Chris !!

And i really like your WiP too....

Congratulations !!!

:mike:

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC very kind, really pleased with the look of it.  Got another one started  now and a Navy Beau.

Thanks for following along.

Chris

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, russ c said:

Excellent Seafire there Chris, really nice work

Thanks Russ, really chuffed with how it looks.

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Dayam, Chris- that's one luvverly Seafire! What the others have said goes double for me! Beautifully weathered finish, and brush painted, you say? Somewhere Tony O'Toole is smiling! :goodjob:

Mike

Thanks Mike, very kind.  Yes , I love the painting bit and trying to achieve the paint and weathering effects.  I hope Tony would like it, miss him from these pages.

1 hour ago, bissyboat said:

This is Top Drawer, Chris! 🙌

Thanks Bissyboat,  very kind too.  Pleased to finally have a Seafire III in the display.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

I can only echo what previous posters have said, what a wonderful model. The finish you have achieved is outstanding. Amongst many other things I would love to know how you managed the exhaust staining without the use of an airbrush, in fact I would like to know much more on how you painted and weathered the whole thing, if you ever feel like sharing your painting and weathering techniques I would be all ears.

Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Dennis,  very kind. Chuffed with the way it looks, you can never have too many Seafires, started on another now.

Chris

Must remove the digit as the last Seafire I built was the ancient Revell 1/32 scale one adapted from their Spitfire kit way back in the 1990's.

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Richard S said:

I can only echo what previous posters have said, what a wonderful model. The finish you have achieved is outstanding. Amongst many other things I would love to know how you managed the exhaust staining without the use of an airbrush, in fact I would like to know much more on how you painted and weathered the whole thing, if you ever feel like sharing your painting and weathering techniques I would be all ears.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Richard, very kind.  For the exhaust staining I use Humbrol Weathering Powders and these can be brushed on lightly and built up, I uses smoke for the main colour and go over with a lighter colour for the middle part of the stains.

The paint is not as hard as you would think. I build up using thinned coats mainly as you would do airbrushing although they don't need to becthinned too much and it is a case of getting it how you would want it to brush on. I use a wide flat brush and do it in sections.

Once your base colour is on I use a very old half hardened brush to do the camouflage edges, this is not thinned at all and I paint along nearly up to where the edges of the camouflage will be and when it starts to dry off not to long at all, so always do an inch to an one and a half inches of edge then ho back tovthe beginning and start scrubbing (not heavily) the brush along the edge and you will turn it into a soft edge, ghis takes a small amount of practice.   I don't know if it works with acrylics though?

Once the edges are done I fill in with slightly thinned paint and when the second coat is done you can paing almost upto the edges which keeps and contrasts the soft edging.  I find it very relaxing . Hope this helps

Chris

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Must remove the digit as the last Seafire I built was the ancient Revell 1/32 scale one adapted from their Spitfire kit way back in the 1990's.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis I am looking at building that same kit, however wondering if I use the latest Revell Mk.II  fuselage and wings instead and then build it up that way instead, should be able to end up with a more modern build.

Chris

• Like 1