1/20th Tyrrell Yamaha 023 F1

Redstaff

Seeing as someone said the other week that we don't get enough F1 builds here, I thought I'd pull one out of the stash for my next project.

Tyrrell Yamaha 023 from the 1995 season. Can't remember seeing one of these built before, so I guess it'll be a learning curve as I go along. No progress as yet as I've had a clean and tidy of the mancave after my last build. So I thought I'd add my placemarker 😀

20231113_105933

• Like 2

• Mike changed the title to Tyrrell Yamaha 023 F

Your report was on the wrong thread, and I deleted it before seeing this one,  so I've reinstated the title on this one.  You can edit it yourself if I've not done it right :)

• Thanks 1

• Redstaff changed the title to Tyrrell Yamaha 023 F1
33 minutes ago, Mike said:

Your report was on the wrong thread, and I deleted it before seeing this one,  so I've reinstated the title on this one.  You can edit it yourself if I've not done it right :)

Cheers Mike

As long as there's only one post I'm happy thank you, they were both identical as I haven't started properly yet :) 

For some unknown reason when I wrote the post and submitted it, it was there twice when I looked 🤔

Probably a fat finger interface fault on my part :) 

Thanks again 

Ian :) 

25 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

I remember this car! Clearly a Mika Salo's weapon. He somehow managed to get Nokia as a sponsor. If I understood how this went it was someone in Nokia Japan who signed this sponsor agreement and didn't have approval from headquarters. 

I only vaguely remember it as I drifted away from F1 for a short spell after Ayrton Senna's untimely death in '94 to be honest, but as I have collected all the 1/20 Tamiya F1 cars over the years, I have one in the stash :) 

The only thing I really remember about Mika Salo was him standing in for Schumacher at Ferrari for a spell later on when MS was injured, I think?

I usually research bits and pieces as I go along to find out more about the car and drivers etc, it makes the builds more interesting for me :) 

1 hour ago, Redstaff said:

For some unknown reason when I wrote the post and submitted it, it was there twice when I looked 🤔

I had this happen to me the other day.  Thought I'd posted, nothing happened, so I clicked again.  I ended up with a double post in a thread, so had to de-duplicate it.  Same thing sounds like it happened to you, or you accidentally double-clicked by mistake.  We shall never know :shrug:

• Thanks 1

'Not enough F1 builds', was probably me.........😁

As said don't see many of these built so will be following along.

Malc.

PS are your decals OK? The ones in my kit have gone all wrinkly.

Indycals will have to be called on to come to the rescue.

Edited by Malc2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Malc2 said:

'Not enough F1 builds', was probably me.........😁

As said don't see many of these built so will be following along.

Malc.

PS are your decals OK? The ones in my kit have gone all wrinkly.

Indycals will have to be called on to come to the rescue.

Hi Malc

It could well have been you, welcome aboard :) 

Decals look fine TBH, but we'll see when the water hits them :) 

I may have a spare set of decals when I finish if all goes well, so hold fire ordering the indycal ones for now, let's see how they go

I got a kit off E**Y saying it had been started but complete, from the pics it looked good, but when I got it the engine and gearbox bits were missing, I emailed the guy and he apologised as he was selling it for his brother who told him it was complete and he hadn't checked, he refunded my money and told me to keep the kit FOC. So apart from engine, I have another kit, and if the decals work ok on my kit I'll drop the others in the post to you to save you buying more

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not much progress as yet, with x**s looming and work going crazy, I've not had a lot of free time

Managed to get the engine and rear suspension close, still needs decals and a bit of weathering yet, but at least I've got something to show :) 

20231128_113034

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Seems ages since I touched this with being busy at work and Christmas looming, hopefully I'll get some me time over the hols and crack on.

Managed to get the body work in LP2 Gloss white at the weekend, soon be ready for decals once I've painted the inside in Semi gloss black

20231219_223643

• Like 1

• Redstaff changed the title to 1/20th Tyrrell Yamaha 023 F1
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got some time to make a start on the decals, 2 hours later I've given up and ordered a set from indycals as the kit ones just don't want to play ball. So back on the shelf for now for a while until they arrive. 

Will see when the new ones come what shade the blue is, then mask and paint as there are too many compound Curves to wrap them all around without wrinkles or gaps 

Gutted isn't the word........

• Sad 2