A KILLER BEAUTY, Kingtiger Porsche Turret Sdkfz.182 MENG 1/35

FrancisGL

Hi Pals,

a new kit for assembly. The one chosen this time is another queen of the stash, a KT but with a Porsche turret, from the MENG brand, one gets used to the good, and the previous CHARC C2 was a joy, if there were mistakes, they were on my part.

I already have a KT but with a Henschel (Zvezda) turret, so it will be a good example to compare models.

It seems like another kit with not too many unnecessary parts (more tiny parts don't make it a better kit...at least it's my modest opinion), and with some very cool goodies, like the metal cannon, and the jigs to assemble the tracks properly, Although with the size they have, they do not seem difficult to manipulate.

What I dislike somewhat are the camos they offer for the model, which do not appeal to me at all, one of the reasons why I have been putting this kit aside.

But when I get to that river, I'll cross that bridge...

The idea is to make it as OOB as possible, but this time I wanted something with Zimmerit, and I had a set from a long time ago from Tamiya for KT Porsche.
The MENG one did not have stock where I bought it for now, so it should work, it will probably be a little more difficult than it should be, but it will be a good comparison test for dimensions with both brands.:hmmm:

This is my first time using one of these, I hope I don't ruin it...😁.

Until the first update.
Thanks for watching and commenting as always.
Cheers
Francis.👍

7iCOw3a.jpg

zv9iZo0.jpg

7V5QAVE.jpg

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 18

Well, it looks like I'm on the front row for this @FrancisGL .... 

The kit looks good quality and, as usual I'll be following to see what you do with it when it comes to paint and weathering and learning a fewcthings too .... let the build commence!!  

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Andy H said:

Looks like a nice kit, I'm sure you'll make a great job of it. I'll be very interested in how you get on with the Tamiya zimmerit stickers - I've got some waiting for my King Tiger.

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your like and interest. 

I hope so, this tank is like the white elephant of my childhood and youth, when there was only the KT Henschel from Tamiya, and some I think from Nichimo, with which they could mix and with scratch make a KT Porsche, too expensive, difficult to obtain (NIchimo), and difficult to do without references or sufficient skills....now the tables are more even, now I have "weapons" and "courage"...lol, to face a model that is if not perfect, yes pretty...
As for the Tamiya Zimm, I'm "green", I've never tried one of these, plus it's for a MENG kit...we'll see the result...
I hope what I do helps you, although I warn you that I'm not very fast at making models...:sleep_1:

Cheers

Francis.👍

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Keeff said:

Bueno, parece que estoy en la primera fila para esto @FrancisGL .... 

El kit se ve de buena calidad y, como de costumbre, lo seguiré para ver qué haces con él cuando se trata de pintar y envejecer y aprender algunas cosas también ... ¡¡Que comience la construcción!!

Keith 😁 

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for your like and interest, 

Welcome to the workshop, good company is always welcome.
I have quite a few expectations with this one, which I really like, but not the proposed cams, but I'll see how it is resolved later...

Cheers

Francis.👍

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

German armour not my forte, but I will be following this build as I know that you'll do a great job with it.

John.

Hi John,

Many thanks for your like and trust, I hope so too..😁.
Those Zimm stickers "scare" me a little.🥵

Cheers

Francis.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Those Zimm stickers "scare" me a little.🥵

Hi Francis, I haven't tried the Tamiya zimm stickers, the Atak stuff works ok, I have some of that for my Elephant, a Jagdtiger and a production turreted KT.  It will be interesting to see how well the Tamiya stuff fits your Meng kit but the part for the domed m/g cover on the glacis plate looks optimistic.  All the Porsche turreted KT's were built in early 1944 so they all had zimm, no turret hooks for spare track links and the various other fittings depended on which batch they came from.  Only 2 survived the fighting in Normandy, most were destroyed when the allies used 1200 bombers to carpet bomb the German reserves, so photos and camo schemes are quite rare, so just go with what you like.  It will be interesting to see the Meng kit being built, I have built only various Dragon kits in the last few decades including their Porsche version with zimm which needed some chisel work because they coated the zimm  without any of the cut outs for the exhausts and it was rather rough compared to the better job they did with their Panther kits.  Anyway, good luck with your build, I'll be watching out for it. :coolio:

Edited by Retired Bob
wrong word
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2023 at 12:30, Retired Bob said:

Hi Francis, I haven't tried the Tamiya zimm stickers, the Atak stuff works ok, I have some of that for my Elephant, a Jagdtiger and a production turreted KT.  It will be interesting to see how well the Tamiya stuff fits your Meng kit but the part for the domed m/g cover on the glacis plate looks optimistic.  All the Porsche turreted KT's were built in early 1944 so they all had zimm, no turret hooks for spare track links and the various other fittings depended on which batch they came from.  Only 2 survived the fighting in Normandy, most were destroyed when the allies used 1200 bombers to carpet bomb the German reserves, so photos and camo schemes are quite rare, so just go with what you like.  It will be interesting to see the Meng kit being built, I have built only various Dragon kits in the last few decades including their Porsche version with zimm which needed some chisel work because they coated the zimm  without any of the cut outs for the exhausts and it was rather rough compared to the better job they did with their Panther kits.  Anyway, good luck with your build, I'll be watching out for it. :coolio:

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your like, interest and advices, 

From what I've heard, the ATAK stickers would be the best, but unfortunately this is what I have available.
I think that if the dimensions of the two kits (Tamiya and Meng) are adequate, it should work, if not perfect, very close...:hmmm:
It is also true that by never having used these products, I run the risk of ruining it by paying for the hazing...
I'll take it easy, and when I get to that river, I'll cross that bridge (I hope without falling...this KT doesn't have a snorkel...lol).
As for the camo, it's good to know what you're saying, I think I'll try to do something like what you propose, but if I don't like it (which I don't), then I'll feel more relaxed when it comes to improvising something.
Welcome aboard.

Cheers

Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

On 05/11/2023 at 13:08, edjbartos said:

This looks rather nice Francis, I will definitely follow along with this one and looking forward to your progress...

Ed

Hi Ed,

Many thanks for your like and interest, much appreciated, welcome aboard too mate.

Cheers

Francis.👍

UPDATE 01:

Hi Pals,
After some time away from the workbench, I returned to the task with the model I had planned to make.
Starting with the wheels, many wheels... each one placed in its own pile, since they are very similar to each other, and confusion is easy.
After having cleaned the remains of sprue.
And the arms of the running gear, also clean and in place.
Fortunately the instructions are clear in this regard, since the two sides are asymmetrical, it is also easy to make mistakes in their positioning.
Ready to start with the tracks...

Thanks for watching and commenting as always.😁

GotIVIE.jpg

8WFx1Zd.jpg

RhL8e11.jpg

Cheers.

Francis.👍

• Like 7

I enjoy this part of a build the best, cutting parts off the sprue, cleaning them up, then gluing lots of big bits together.

Perhaps I should go back to my child hood practice, just make kits as fast as possible and then get on with the next one, that would soon make a dent in the stash. :whistle:

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I enjoy this part of a build the best, cutting parts off the sprue, cleaning them up, then gluing lots of big bits together.

Perhaps I should go back to my child hood practice, just make kits as fast as possible and then get on with the next one, that would soon make a dent in the stash. :whistle:

Hi Bob,

It's definitely a monotonous part, but it cleans up the sprues box quite a bit, and it's cool when you see that there are fewer pieces...lol.
Also, being big, there is already something that resembles what we want to build, and it gives us the courage to continue, knowing that the tracks and the PEs are waiting, quiet and still, but ready to ruin the fun...😁

Cheers

Francis.👍

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

Nice work Francis!  That's alot of wheels to clean and sort, but at least you've got a 'system' going. 

I've never noticed the asymetrical suspension .... everyday is a school day! 😊

Look forward to the next update...

Keith 😁 

• Thanks 1

Nice work and an interesting project Francis. 

Good luck!

12 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I do that anyway,  however I find it's the gaps between being able to glue stuff together that's the problem....

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

knowing that the tracks and the PEs are waiting, quiet and still, but ready to ruin the fun...😁

Ah yes the spoiler of fun, whether it's rubber band or individual links, they lurk waiting to give you a hard time.  You might have seen my method, if the kit is compatible with this way, of assembling the wheels and tracks as separate assemblies so they can be added to the completed hull after all the other fun of painting.

Here is the method used on a Dragon kit of the Stuh (Howitzer armed Stug)

IMG_1556

or with the Dragon Panther G kit

IMG_1446

Then you can finish off the weathering once it's all complete. :nod:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 16/11/2023 at 20:41, Keeff said:

Nice work Francis!  That's alot of wheels to clean and sort, but at least you've got a 'system' going. 

I've never noticed the asymetrical suspension .... everyday is a school day! 😊

Look forward to the next update...

Keith 😁 

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for your like and interest, much appreciated.

Yep, with so many wheels (or similar pieces, you have to have order and a "system"...lol)
It's true, no one would say it once the wheels are in place, but when you see the running gear shot from bottom to top, you can see that the two sides are different, the arms are in an inverted position on one of them. , and it seems like it's missing one on each side, but there are 9 in both... what a way for those engineers to complicate themselves...🙄

Cheers

Francis.👍