Saw this in the Guardian today and thought of you guys...

AdrianMF

I'm not sure why. The resin is so brittle that about all that would reasonably survive is the hand grips. If they are worried about replica guns, you can buy these in airsoft versions. I suppose that you could print in metal, but I really wouldn't want to trust a metal printed barrel....

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 7:02 PM, AdrianMF said:

Screenshot-2023-10-31-185149.png

Regards,

Adrian

And yet it is quite legal to buy a book from the US detailing exactly how to machine a hand gun using a simple lathe and milling machine.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

On 04/11/2023 at 00:16, Twobad said:

And yet it is quite legal to buy a book from the US detailing exactly how to machine a hand gun using a simple lathe and milling machine.

This crops up every now and again: "Oh no, people can make their own guns and the world will end!".  We've had machine tools for centuries and not many people have ever used them to make illegal firearms, despite that being a far better way of doing it.

My late father always reckoned he had enough machining skill to make a firearm, but said getting the right materials to make something that was less a danger to the user than the intended victim might be difficult. He worked for a small engineering company that did everything from repairing Pork Pie machines to test components for the Ordnance Factory nearby as well odd bits and pieces for Rolls Royce at Hucknall. If you changed an air or oil filter in the eighties, chances are my father had made the mould for it. They were very simple things to make and mainly turned. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 7:11 PM, jackroadkill said:

This crops up every now and again: "Oh no, people can make their own guns and the world will end!".  We've had machine tools for centuries and not many people have ever used them to make illegal firearms, despite that being a far better way of doing it.

I think the worry is that non-metallic weapons can be printed, which will not be picked up on security scanners.

2 minutes ago, MickE said:

I think the worry is that non-metallic weapons can be printed, which will not be picked up on security scanners.

True, but they'll be detected when they explode in the would-be shooter's faces.