Italian GB Misfire! SM79 Sparviero

Thom216

Woops! I started this in the Italian Job GB, not noticing that it was too new to requirements.:blush: Mr. @JOCKNEY kindly offered to let it stay, but I'll shift it into gear here.

So, this is Italeri's 1/72 SM79 Sparviero and, being now fifty, it is pass time I'll be getting in touch with my Italian roots by building my first Italian aircraft!

ShYBR77.jpg

I have some interior and exterior PE to go with it. 

9wBICH8.jpg

Sprues!

wlJ4C9l.jpg

qoH5kOS.jpg

As you can see there are options to open it all up, but I'll building her closed and retaining those sleek (humped) lines. I'll detail the 'pit just in case I can see anything through the glass.

And starting with the pedals and the IP.

ANHMIoq.jpg

5Xo1UnX.jpg

The instructions call for light green on the interior, but seeing other builds and references it looks like it should be light gray. That'll be easy to fix on the central pedestal as that is all that is painted as of yet.

Short progress for now, but model on!

Thom

https://imgur.com/a/Nvu2x3x

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 13

Got the 'pit finished up and will post pics this evening.

The partition behind the seats didn't seam to want to fit when test-closing the fuselage around it, and since some pics showed almost no partition at all, I pulled it out.

As for the color, thanks @campo for the clarification. With it being almost done, I may leave it all gray, or I'll test lightly spraying some clear green over it to see how it looks. Keeping mind how little may show through the glass. We'll see how it goes.

• Like 2

Pics! As said, it's already light gray and since I doubt I'll see much, I've decided to leave it rather than go back to light green in the 'pit.

5Coj3cV.jpg

ULOd4ra.jpg

For the seats, looking at pics, the seats come to a rounded point, rather than the one on the left below. The right has been roughly sanded to shape.

0hcyQHu.jpg

And painted up with PE.

IxxAJbG.jpg

E84RKS6.jpg

oJWShVf.jpg

Now starting to put the glass pieces in (while pinging one off and nearly not finding it) and soon after that, I'll put the fuselage halves together.

Mode on!

Thom

• Like 10

Nice details in the cockpit. Your modded seats look stylish  ;) and I like the details... red throttle knobs, seatbelts differing on the two seats, the diff colours on the steering wheel grips and metal parts. Makes it come alive.

The Lancaster nose I photographed at the museum had a teddy bear hanging at the radio station. I've read thst other crew put up girlfriends underwear as good luck charms. I could picture that in this cockpit 😛 

Edited by marvinneko
  • Thanks 1

More work done on the interior. Next up was the tail wheel. Despite the ins telling to paint all the way up to the springs, only the lower half of the wheel will be visible at the end, so that's all that was painted. I also had to get a drill bit out and punch the top mounting hole straight through.

j99ITDO.jpg

...as it is closed up on one side.

EfmqFWC.jpg

Then after adding a partial partition behind the co-pilot seat, painting the guns and snipping the barrel off of the belly gun to add it back later, the internals were loaded up and the sides mated.

EwMERQV.jpg

8IGCIpl.jpg

After that's dry and the top panels are added, I'll deal with the little seam issue above the cockpit...

uG4I6uQ.jpg

And around the belly pan.

nvqkSvJ.jpg

And as she sits now, resting up.

kx7rmnD.jpg

More to follow. Model on!

Thom

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Thom216 said:

I'll deal with the little seam issue above the cockpit...

uG4I6uQ.jpg

You've just prompted me to take a look at the Sparviero in the stash, and mine doesn't have the short shot. I'm afraid you got a bum deal there.

When the fuselage halves are set solid, will you cut the corner to make a straight edge so you can insert a wedge of plastic/plasticard then fair it in with putty?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marvinneko said:

Tidy work! Interesting gun placement. So they would open the windows and point the gun out for defence as needed?

From what I can tell, the front gun above the cockpit aims forward from that vertical slot. The gun to the rear of the hump has hatches that open up, which are not in place at the moment. And yeah it looks like the side windows open up to let the middle point out and the bottom just points out the rear of the belly.

I just bought some metal barrels from the eBay and with the hatches closed, I'll just slip them in so they are just poking out.

3 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

You've just prompted me to take a look at the Sparviero in the stash, and mine doesn't have the short shot. I'm afraid you got a bum deal there.

When the fuselage halves are set solid, will you cut the corner to make a straight edge so you can insert a wedge of plastic/plasticard then fair it in with putty?

There's a half ring that still needs to be added, and once that's in place I'll start added some filler putty to start making that all good. Good to hear your model doesn't have the short-shot. Though now, I should check the other Sparviero kit in the stash...:wink:

• Like 1

And I think I may have hit a log-jam. To close up the back of the hump, I need a part that is apparently not in this kit. Or the parts that are in it that are supposed to close over that area, A30 and A31, are undersized and only meant to modded in the open position.

48zVQ52.jpg

Looking at the Arfix kit, it looks like that kit does have the option for both.

So I'll toss this out there, if anyone has built the Airfix 1/72 kit but did NOT use part 33 (the back half of the hump) I would gladly pay for postage for it. Otherwise I'll be buying the Airfix kit for that piece.

Thom

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Italeri parts 26A, 30A and 31A together equate to part 32 of the Airfix kit (having a look at the instructions on Scalemates, forgive me). You need some kind soul who has Airfix part 33 going spare to complete the hump (and keep your fingers crossed that the fit is reasonable).

Can anyone out there oblige?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

Italeri parts 26A, 30A and 31A together equate to part 32 of the Airfix kit (having a look at the instructions on Scalemates, forgive me). You need some kind soul who has Airfix part 33 going spare to complete the hump (and keep your fingers crossed that the fit is reasonable).

Can anyone out there oblige?

Too true. But even if the fit is close it would be something to work with.

...or, I can try doing some modelling and fix it on my own.

So out came a PE razor saw and hobby knife and I hacked off the effected parts. I'll glue on the fold out doors at the rear of the hump and with the piece off, it should be easier to cut some stryene, back it and fill the area in.

qrvsv9e.jpg

kPltTxH.jpg

If it doesn't work, at least I tried and I'll keep my eyes open for the part a cheap Airfix kit.

Model on!

Thom

• Like 4

I'm doing it!:laugh:

I used thin styrene strips, their ends angled to fit the opening and built them up the sides.

6wmY4V5.jpg

kv21CEj.jpg

For that top opening, I laid down some writable scotch tape and traced it out and then transferred that to more styrene.

09UWRDB.jpg

And all in place.

JVCYHpX.jpg

I'll 'paint' that with CA on the inside for strength, and then the outside as well before I starts to sand it out.

Model on!

Thom

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 7