Rugby, anyone...?

Pajarito

10 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

In that case, the Taffies'll be well matched this weekend - our lot couldn't beat the Lower Oodnagularbie Under 12 Fs at the moment ...

Seriously, Aussies will bounce backThey will be very, very keen not to lose another game.

Even with the big names back in the Welsh team, I can easily see (barring a fluke ) Australia win. 

Obviously, as a diehard long, long term 65 years supporter of Welsh rugby I want Wales to win, but I wouldn’t write Australia off at all.

• Like 1

Ireland 13 South Africa 8. That was a tough watch. One of the panellists on Irish TV commented "... it was the ugliest second half of rugby you could watch, but I couldn't stop watching.". Him and millions of others.

The 18-18 draw between Georgia and Portugal was unexpectedly very entertaining. Not so the England-Chile blowout.

Edited by klr
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, klr said:

Ireland 13 South Africa 8. That was a tough watch. One of the panellists on Irish TV commented "... it was the ugliest second half of rugby you could watch, but I couldn't stop watching.". Him and millions of others.

The 18-18 draw between Georgia and Portugal was unexpectedly very entertaining. Not so the England-Chile blowout.

I can honestly agree that while it was not a wonderful game, the whole of it was so intense, so gripping, that turning your eyes away was a non starter.

I had a chat with my brother earlier (lived in SA for 25 years) and he thought SA would pip it. I feel exhausted now after watching it!

Agreed also, England's game was one of those you ask yourself why did I watch it, but Sadly I missed Portugal and Georgia.

Onward now to an important game for Scotland, and even more important game for Wales. Here I believe Australia will bounce back from the Fiji defeat, and give Wales a heck of a game.

Wow... :blink: Just wow...

We did beat the Samoans, but I can't honestly say that I liked how our lads performed. In any case, I surely don't wish to reach the semis like that.

Not surprised at all by the way the Irish treated the Bokke.

Hard time for the Chileans, though. 

Tomorrow I'm rooting for the Aussie.

• Like 1

I am exhausted after watching Wales’ historic and entirely surprisingly to me demolition of the Aussies.

I said yesterday I expected Australia to bounce back from defeat to Fiji.

In the first 15 minutes despite that glorious Davies try  I thought Australia were digging in, they broke our scrum up a couple of times, talisman Biggar went off (much to Wayne Barnes relief as it meant he could now ref the match on his own), but you know?

It started to go wrong for Australia as it started to go right for Wales.

Australia ended up in that situation of when it starts going wrong, it all goes wrong.

Mind you, when there were 13 minutes left, and Australia needed to score 4 converted tries, I thought that was doable for the Aussies- until Wales scored another try.

Oh dear. Oh dear, I am honestly gutted for the Aussies for that game, while being glad Wales won. 

Onwards  to Georgia next, who probably will beat Wales.

Scotland did well too, Tonga are one of those teams that can magic up a win from nothing, but today, Scotland were too good for them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IanHx said:

As a neutral, the Ireland / South Africa match was a belter to watch. Could have gone to either side even in the dying seconds of the match.  

Indeed, Ian! But it's not quite an easy task to keep the Sefrikans at bay. Eben Etzebeth's such a dog.

I'm completely flabbergasted about the Aussie now... :hmmm:David Campese would be puzzled. I'm done betting. 

Lets hear it for the Lower Oodnagularbie Under 12 Fs, maybe next RWC they should just send them instead. ;):D  I must say the absolute despair shown by the Wallabies afterwards was quite moving, & coming from a Kiwi, that says a lot. I found Michael Hooper's comment as part of the Sky studio crew afterwards quite telling, apparently the team was aware that Eddy Jones is already looking for another job. Apart from what that must do for team moral, no surprises there really.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Pajarito said:

Indeed, Ian! But it's not quite an easy task to keep the Sefrikans at bay. Eben Etzebeth's such a dog.

I'm completely flabbergasted about the Aussie now... :hmmm:David Campese would be puzzled. I'm done betting. 

I just read a quote from Mark Ella about when the Aussies competed in a Sevens tournament in Israel: "... the Australian team visited Bethlehem 'to see where Campo was born'" 😄

Australia are not of course eliminated yet, but hopefully Fiji won't slip up against either Georgia or Portugal. Australia don't deserve to go any further after a shambolic performance like that. The glory days of the 80s and 90s ain't coming back.

On 9/25/2023 at 6:24 PM, klr said:

The glory days of the 80s and 90s ain't coming back.

That's right. The style of ruggers the Wallabies had back then (Stephen Larkham, George Gregan, Stirling Mortlock - Drew Mitchell!:crying:I was brought up on them.

Quade Cooper was erratic at best. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really ought to have mentioned Tim Horan above. He's reading this thread and told me that he felt sort of uncared-for. He and Michael Lynagh.

The 73 - 0 between New Zealand and Uruguay was SO devastating! Didn't actually expect the Teros to win, but I was hoping a much better performance.

The France vs Italy match was not different from what it can regularly be seen during Six Nations tournament.

What's for the weekend?: :frantic: 

England vs Samoa: This one's going to be like... <_< meh. Nothing happens if Samoa beats the Brits, which is very unlikely to happen.

Ireland vs Scotland: This game is going to be thrilling! If the Scots get the bonus, then the Irish are in dire straits.

Japan vs Argieland: This one's going to be the best of the weekend, as each team needs to win in order to qualify. I've got my 2mg pill of Klonopin at the ready. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IanHx said:

I feel sorry for pool B.

Win it and you face the All Blacks.

Come second and you face France on home soil.

... and to win it, Ireland (if it is they) will have had to beat South Africa.

England scraped past Samoa. A really entertaining match considering how little (realistically) was at stake.

Edited by klr

14 hours ago, klr said:

... and to win it, Ireland (if it is they) will have had to beat South Africa.

England scraped past Samoa. A really entertaining match considering how little (realistically) was at stake.

Owen Farrell running out of time to take his kick.....   [ face-palm]

Think he's the only one so far to do that ?

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Yes, as far as I know. I mean, it's not as if it was a difficult kick. The very definition of a schoolboy error.

• Like 1

Congratulations to the best eight teams at RWC 2023! Well done, everybody.

I did make use of that chill-pill after Lemeki's drop goal closed the gap to two points at 22-20. It brought me some awful memories of what George Ford did in the first match of the tournament. :blink2: The Japanese franchise played very nice; tighting up the score after each action our lads performed. 

I'm looking forward to watching France vs The Bokke. It will be such an awesome match, although I think the match between Ireland and New Zealand is going to be the best one of the next stage.

Have I dreamt about The Aussie playing against England once again, or do the former have not yet classified? :hmmm: 

7 hours ago, IanHx said:

Johnny Sexton came within one second of time with one of his kicks yesterday. After that, I have been keeping an eye on the clock and was wondering what Farrell was grinning at whilst he took his time, almost oblivious to the clock. Serves him right but I doubt he will do that again.

Dave

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pajarito said:

Have I dreamt about The Aussie playing against England once again, or do the former have not yet classified? :hmmm: 

yes, a dream, Aussies going home, lost to Fiji on points differential, the only thing separating them afaics.

Steve.

This has turned out to be a fascinating weekend of Rugby for me. Super Saturday, with Wales beating Georgia , who played with spirit and fire; England’s dull, almost second rate victory over Samoa, and Ireland’s demolition of Scotland.

followed on Sunday by Japan’s spirited game against Argentina, and that magical game between Fiji and Portugal where I thought every second was entertaining.

A great result for Portugal, and a great result for Fiji, into the semi finals at Australia’s expense.

The semis are going to produce - I hope - some excellent matches, where Wales, Ireland, England and France win!

I never write off NZ or SA, though, but this time, I am rooting for Ireland and France.

On 10/9/2023 at 5:13 AM, stevehnz said:

yes, a dream, Aussies going home, lost to Fiji on points differential, the only thing separating them afaics.

Hi Steve,

That's too bad; the Aussie will be much missed on the next stage. Well done to the Fijians then.

On 10/9/2023 at 10:38 AM, Whofan said:

The semis are going to produce - I hope - some excellent matches, where Wales, Ireland, England and France win!

Aw, you've broken my heart... -_-

• Like 3

Being Irish I'd be surprised if they lose to the All Blacks. There's something I never thought I'd say.  

If Andy Farrell leads the Irish to the final. He'll be the second most favorite Englishman in Ireland. Jack Charlton obviously being the  first.

They say 'dare to dream'. I don't think so. 😗

It's a fascinating world cup.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, noelh said:

Being Irish I'd be surprised if they lose to the All Blacks. There's something I never thought I'd say.  

Hi Noel,

Judging by the fact that the Irish won the last Six Nations tournament with a great performance, and France having defeated the Kiwi on the first match of Pool A at RWC 2023, anyone might infer that Ireland is very capable of winning the next match against the All Blacks.

The Kiwis are well known to be relentless in the last stages of RWC, but also, remember France kicked them out twice on the semis. 1999 was an awful year for Les Bleus at Five Nations that year, yet they completely demolished the All Blacks in RWC.

It wouldn't be strange if Ireland surprised us all with regard to that match (this said by someone who's partial to the Southern Hemispere nations in rugby), but Ireland would sincerely be a fair winner this time round.

But with New Zealand you never know. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pajarito said:

The semis are going to produce - I hope - some excellent matches, where Wales, Ireland, England and France win!

Aw, you've broken my heart... -_-

as a Welshman of 73 years, I’ve had my heart broken a few times too!

• Sad 2