1/350 Star Trek Enterprise NX-01

This was a long build, and often frustrating for those who know this kit. I started in September of last year and took a long break over the holidays to work on a few other kits because I had enough of working on it. This is my first 1/350 scale kit and my first with lighting this complex. I used the Tena Controls board for this and added a number of lights on my own, like the forward and side spotlights on the saucer, the spots over the cargo bay doors on the upper and lower saucer, the spots on the landing deck at the rear, I lit the airlock door locks, and added the saucer impulse engines. Aztecing was done with the Aztec Dummy masks for the saucer, but I heavily modified them with my own custom additions. The Aztec Dummy set is for two colors and I wanted at least four. The rear struts and the nacelles are completely custom. 

I also added two blue lasers for a phase cannon effect. I did have help with the sound board for them because my Arduino skills are sorely lacking. 

Lights off. 

Ftyg8VI.jpg

qUIkDZt.jpg

Af9xVP1.jpg

Lights on. 

3XPc5G1.jpg

bab4ydu.jpg

ixqV1O7.jpg

Screen grab of the phase cannons firing. Videos below. 

9EHvwIA.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

More pics. 

The three windows below the observation tower were drilled out. And the airlock red lights and the downward spotlights were also added apart from the Tena Controls board. 

zNwCOuW.jpg

UtzEN1v.jpg

i0PLxXv.jpg

I used black vinyl tape to create the vertical bars inside the chillers. 

s4QQLR7.jpg

RsqBZDD.jpg

t7jWLSj.jpg

QP0cPYL.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Laidlaw said:

That is excellent! I have this kit, started, but squirreled away after I realised I didn't know what I was doing with regard to its droopy pylons.

I love what you've created with the Aztecing.

OMG the pylons are the WORST! And they have these ribbed and detailed end caps and instead of making them one piece -- like the TOS model -- they split them down the middle! My one pylon is dropping ever so slightly but I'm afraid if I mess with it any more I'll make it worse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelerdave said:

OMG the pylons are the WORST! And they have these ribbed and detailed end caps and instead of making them one piece -- like the TOS model -- they split them down the middle! My one pylon is dropping ever so slightly but I'm afraid if I mess with it any more I'll make it worse. 

You've done a fine job, and the painting is brilliant. But yes, leave the pylons be 😁.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Consider my jaw officially dropped. Amazing work! I missed Enterprise when it aired, but bought it on DVD a few months back and have only recently finished watching. Such a great show, massively underrated and cancelled just as it hit its stride. I've looked at getting an NX-01 model from Amazon (UK), but they all seem to be a tiny scale. I need to keep looking :)

• Like 1

That is fantastic! The aztecing is stunning and the lighting is amazing!  All the little details are really a joy too. 

For as much of a Star Trek fan as I am, I am just watching Enterprise for the first time right now and this really caught my eye.  Nice work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 6:05 PM, t15dja said:

Brilliant!

Where did you get the base from?

I made it! I ordered the NX-01 acrylic part from Cosmic Scale Models and then went to my local framing shop and had a custom picture frame made to accommodate it. Put strip LEDs inside to light it and some switches and there you have it. It doesn't really have enough support for such a heavy model, so with my next 1/350 scale I'm going to do the base differently (but I don't know how yet!). 

• Thanks 1