School Project - Prehistoric Roundhouse

Here we have a slight departure from the norm, but my son has a school project to build a prehistoric roundhouse so I thought it was time to teach him some techniques and train up the next generation. Here are some pics of today's efforts in the sunshine.

y4mF2TeZ8qIVUKs6qElfnMwxNeFzt_0EQpcQTJsu     y4mzyfXL8Cv3xWzpWaDgJIHgm4VQG1zeRgpSREZ3     y4m4nhPL_RDNkUmC7RW_kFcYvVX3bBR2FpCKu9yZ

y4mURQW81rGemXpyE20ajfwf0VwxXey7keW9B7vL     y4mLd1Ve08t_m0CdLMGVLxXNxQiWwVfKEpY9vzJs     y4mXNUoPQztXEXJJusT3jwejK1dsrOZt8zH2q_jK

y4mFVRz9M53SGAixOYu0RvMK1bREa7sng7yCjqVk     y4mEE154qWnlZtJEsrVcCpAE8zt0f8NM6K4-aY-y     y4mbF6N6D31ABKcTzpBV5og3-m1Zf5I_lMXpetVI

y4mQY8dxj3lvMQXqRAGO3Buz0KPwSq-PTeza8kwV     y4m11NcaU0ahVWrq5g6z2Yqihqiqo3jHzJ1s8uDw   

y4mtpND0DX5T35GXv6U2q6hvBCTpjOF7fvMYZToT

Waiting for the clay and glue to dry out now before we weave some coloured wool between the wall posts and add the clay and flock turf roof tomorrow. Then we'll sprinkle some flock around for some grass and add some doors.

• Like 18

Well I'd say your son has done a great job so far mate.

Are you guys intending to add some figures to the scene? These would really bring things to life.

We'll have to see what state it returns from school in first. Then I'll have a proper look around, but most I've seen so far are all warriors/soldiers and I'd rather it be just a couple or three ordinary folk pottering about. After the safari figures headache and all the manipulation needed to fit the figures in the Land Rover I'm looking more now at getting figures I like first and then fitting the dio around them, as I did with the Toyota Hilux.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Slackbladder said:

We'll have to see what state it returns from school in first. Then I'll have a proper look around, but most I've seen so far are all warriors/soldiers and I'd rather it be just a couple or three ordinary folk pottering about. After the safari figures headache and all the manipulation needed to fit the figures in the Land Rover I'm looking more now at getting figures I like first and then fitting the dio around them, as I did with the Toyota Hilux.

A couple of 54mm white metal figures of 18th/19th Century Native Americans could work as Stone Age villagers. Might be worth taking a look in on the Historex Agents and the El Greco websites to see what they have available.

Have to be about 28mm to fit the scale I reckon. Not really looking to spend any cash on it so I could just modify the door to a round one and make it a hobbit hole and use a couple of old hobbit figures I have somewhere.

• Like 1

The final few construction photos, bit of drybrushing on the ground and then some flock. Clay roof in place and drying out, fully removable to show the inside. The wool weaved walls looking good. Couldn't help but add a little log pile in the doorway.

y4muhuTeiikBWIozef4TQ3gYSO_unV0oMAP-RJJ_          y4m5nVbuOXln6YgSFM_MP4UQHPJjzY6KdN-6RLmf

y4mtI2j7-X2rc_schukkax7avYntFKQaeClN5Fgs          y4mI6Vex1Q-J46BY_5HR_5ym-vWtNo8CUd3dR0Up

Some brown paint and flock for the turf roof and we're done.

y4m5XvXX_n1VYBIpj9y0EO5FrEmLduET_xSLl5QM          y4mpi8xVc3zFPuAPvAEGcpMy54l4fzhUu5IRE7I_

y4mgWYwZM9VTOlQgAOlCIYC2rMWjPm0ZeMQl_kjk         y4mNRH6A-XXlWSt60E_Lkwmh0Nb6C63i09RIYooV

Just tweeked the final image a bit with the shadows in Photoshop so you can see the fire inside. All in all a very simple and enjoyable build and he's well chuffed with the final result!! And a couple with background.

y4mNDiEHPX0rpUI9PZYtIEPBzJHyOAV0bkZgOaAl         y4mPB1OvEyRg-8swSD1FvtXFzntWWLaWAjVEIlEF

Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Slackbladder
Add 2 photos
  • Like 18

• 5 weeks later...
On 01/05/2023 at 21:29, Slackbladder said:

The final few construction photos, bit of drybrushing on the ground and then some flock. Clay roof in place and drying out, fully removable to show the inside. The wool weaved walls looking good. Couldn't help but add a little log pile in the doorway.

y4muhuTeiikBWIozef4TQ3gYSO_unV0oMAP-RJJ_          y4m5nVbuOXln6YgSFM_MP4UQHPJjzY6KdN-6RLmf

y4mtI2j7-X2rc_schukkax7avYntFKQaeClN5Fgs          y4mI6Vex1Q-J46BY_5HR_5ym-vWtNo8CUd3dR0Up

Some brown paint and flock for the turf roof and we're done.

y4m5XvXX_n1VYBIpj9y0EO5FrEmLduET_xSLl5QM          y4mpi8xVc3zFPuAPvAEGcpMy54l4fzhUu5IRE7I_

y4mgWYwZM9VTOlQgAOlCIYC2rMWjPm0ZeMQl_kjk         y4mNRH6A-XXlWSt60E_Lkwmh0Nb6C63i09RIYooV

Just tweeked the final image a bit with the shadows in Photoshop so you can see the fire inside. All in all a very simple and enjoyable build and he's well chuffed with the final result!! And a couple with background.

y4mNDiEHPX0rpUI9PZYtIEPBzJHyOAV0bkZgOaAl         y4mPB1OvEyRg-8swSD1FvtXFzntWWLaWAjVEIlEF

Wow, I am genuinely impressed by the photos you shared of your son's school project on modeling a prehistoric roundhouse. It's evident that he put a lot of effort into it, and I'm sure everyone at school must be delighted with his work. As someone who also appreciates creativity, although I'm studying a technical subject in college, I understand the joy of engaging in artistic endeavors. Interestingly, while I was working on my own non-academic project, I stumbled upon a https://phdessay.com/free-essays-on/critical-thinking, it provided me with some excellent examples of works, which helped me quickly complete a college assignment. I'm truly grateful that such services exist, as they can be incredibly helpful in providing guidance and inspiration. I wish soon we could see more interesting projects!

Looks great! Your son did a good job 😌

Edited by Nick Baker

Gidday @Slackbladder, that's very well done, and the removable roof is very clever. I remember helping my son with some school modeling projects when he was just a bit older than your son looks (he's now 32). It was very satisfying and rewarding. (And yes, he still makes models). One of his dioramas needed a small cooking fire too. We used scrunched up red cellophane. I would never have thought of wool for the walls, that was very clever too.

Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Arnold, we had a visit to an ancient technology centre with his school and the original intention was to weave some of the finer twigs you can see in one of the first images to make the walls, but they were too brittle which is why we went with the wool in the end.

On 4/30/2023 at 8:10 PM, Slackbladder said:

Have to be about 28mm to fit the scale I reckon. Not really looking to spend any cash on it so I could just modify the door to a round one and make it a hobbit hole and use a couple of old hobbit figures I have somewhere.

Good idea ... 😃 ... and good way to use up old figures.

Edited by Cadman

• 1 month later...

What a great project!  I wish we'd have done that sort of stuff back in the day.

I hope everyone had a great time building and maybe we might see some younger members here!

Well done!!