Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1,000 Excellent

About Cadman

  • Rank
    Established Member
  • Birthday August 6

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
  • Interests
    Building simple dioramas. Beatles/Stones/Cocker

Contact Methods

  • Yahoo

Recent Profile Visitors

755 profile views
  1. Hardly a history lesson Adrian........I'd have to write a book to do that. I do like to provide what amounts to condensed bullet points just to fill in any gaps for those who might be unfamiliar with the events I'm trying to depict. Glad you seem to enjoy these post though. Cheers H
  2. Fitlike-ee! Glad you enjoyed it. Can't say I miss Scotland all that much. apart from Lorne Sausage, Rowie's. Well-Fired Rolls, Tattie Scones and decent Back Bacon.
  3. And as per usual - I can't stop fickering around with things. I think the changes improve the overall layout and the addition of the Highland Warrior provides more context, even though only around 100 MacDonald's were present at the battle. Is he Alasdair MacColla? Possibly, but he looks a bit too old to be the notorious "Colkitto", so maybe not. Naturally, I forgot that I've always meant to change out that pretty awful soft white metal shaft of his Lochabar Axe for one made from steel or brass. The angle of the right arm on the guy checking the shot drummer boy is all wrong too. Oh well, they're easy enough fixes whenever I do get around to doing them.
  4. You can't go wrong with this one.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Montrose-John-Buchan-ebook/dp/B07BWFPYYN/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1565992226&sr=8-1https://www.amazon.co.uk/Montrose-John-Buchan-ebook/dp/B07BWFPYYN/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1565992226&sr=8-1
  5. Following is a much condensed history of the events depicted in the attached photos. The Battle & Sack of Aberdeen, September 1644 James Graham, 1st Marquis of Montrose is one of the most quixotic military commanders in Scottish history. Which is quite a sweeping statement considering that would include, for example; Malcolm III, Alexander II, Robert the Bruce, The Black Douglas, James IV, John Graham - Bonnie Dundee, (or Bloody Claverhouse depending on your point of view), Sir Colin Campbell, and a great many others. On the outbreak of hostilities between King Charles I and Parliament, which would become known as The Wars of the Three Kingdoms, or The British Civil Wars 1638 – 1651; Montrose had been appointed Captain-General of the Royalist forces in Scotland. His campaign during 1644-1645 would be marked by the savage sectarian hatred demonstrated by both sides in the conflict. Having already won some minor victories earlier in 1644 against the forces of the Covenant who were loosely allied with the Parliamentarians in England, Montrose appeared before Aberdeen on 12 September with three Irish regiments totaling 1,500 men, 100 MacDonald Highlanders and two troops of horse commanded by Nathaniel Gordon and Sir Thomas Ogilvy. On 13 September, the burgh was summoned to surrender. During the negotiations, a soldier from the city garrison is said to have shot and killed an Irish drummer boy accompanying the heralds, infuriating Montrose and his troops who swore vengeance on the Covenanters. The battle commenced when a Covenanter force under the command of Lord Balfour of Burleigh marched out and deployed along the crest of a flat-topped ridge about half-a-mile south of the burgh. Burleigh's infantry comprised around 2,000 men; two regular Covenanter regiments (his own and that of Lord Forbes), the Aberdeen militia and some local levies. He also had around 300 cavalry, including three troops of regulars. The Royalist forces attacked immediately and Burleigh’s line collapsed as his infantry regiments and the militiamen turned and ran back towards the town, pursued and slaughtered in the streets by the furious Irishmen. Aberdeen was then subjected to a three-day orgy of murder, pillage and rape which Montrose made no attempt to stop. He may have wanted to make an example of the city for resisting him, but the atrocities committed in his name greatly damaged his reputation and alienated potential support for the cause of King Charles I in Scotland. My small diorama depicts the fatal moment when the drummer boy was shot and killed. All figures are 54mm.
  6. I must have been having a "Senior Moment" yesterday as I still had a job left to do on this display. Here's the final set of photos. Cheers H
  7. That's this revamped diorama finished at last. I guess it's actually three vignettes put together to produce the end result. It works for me - and frees up a bunch of figures originally in there which can be used in other scenarios. Cheers H
  8. The last of the skulls, plus the paints I ordered for the re-do of the Dancing Girls skirts, should be turning up around end of next week. But I'm not all that chuffed with the look of the dungeon floor - the pigments I used make it look too "yellow" and have subsequently left it far too bright. So all the figures and everything else are coming back off the scenic over the next couple of days while most of those pigments get washed off and replaced by a darker color. That'll also provide an opportunity to integrate the piles of skulls better into the floor of the scenic. Meanwhile, I decided the display needs more of Thulsa Doom's henchmen, so I made a start on assembling and painting these two 75mm thugs. Ignore the guy in the middle who's "Taken the Black". He's going to be used in the next fantasy show I have planned.
  9. Was thinking of something like this - and I like the sandpaper suggestion.
  • Create New...