USS Frank Knox Gearing DD -742

As a result, the model will be assembled faster! 😂

Congratulations Beefy, you'll see that you'll never be so overwhelmed!  We wonder how you did it "before". 👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the weather has turned and that means model time.  :rain:

Small update tried to add more deck decals but gave up even cutting into smaller bits they would rip and fall apart should have just painted them but still plodding on with the build search light platform main radar and depth charge racks fitted also been making up the mast a right fiddly job.  :doh:

I also had a trip to the local model store and parted with some of the cash that was left in my tankard from the ex work colleagues. Cheers Lads.  :drink:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 16

16 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Nice steady progress there Beefy. Let's hope that you can up your modelling time now that you're retired and not keep 'bu**ering-off like that @robgizlu. That Mikasa buy looks interesting, one for the stash or the next build...

Stuart

Stuart no plans for holidays just yet missus B is still working poor soul.  :whistle:

Which gives me more time between DIY jobs for modelling.  :thumbsup:

The Mikasa will be waiting a while need to get some extras for it and have a couple on the go so need to finish them off first.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

Don't know what Stu is talking about......................................

IMG_1140

16 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Stuart no plans for holidays just yet missus B is still working poor soul.  :whistle:

Which gives me more time between DIY jobs for modelling.  :thumbsup:

Stay Safe

beefy

Mrs M continues to work too :confused:

Careful those "DIY jobs" don't grow (mine have :nodding:)

Hope your first week was Triumphant!!!

Rob

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Mrs M continues to work too :confused:

Careful those "DIY jobs" don't grow (mine have :nodding:)

Hope your first week was Triumphant!!!

Rob

Very Nice Rob blue life rafts  🤔 make sure lots of reference photos are taken to share

I already have a list of jobs from the family and have also been asked to go back as a contractor.  :doh: not even considering that got to much on

Very productive first week both with the hobby and the family and home bit sad though as both parents are now in separate homes for now anyway just need a home care package put in place for me Mam.

Stay Safe on those travels of yours

beefy

• Like 2

Depth Charge throwers and more gun platforms built today ready for paint and the side shields added to the amidships areas need some tidy up I think.

Now to start planning the base. 🤔

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 12

12 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Depth Charge throwers

Gidday Beefy, I think these could be racks of reload DCs, each thrower (K-gun) seems to have had a single or double rack alongside it.

Very nice detail on that kit and your PE work enhances it greatly. Regards, Jeff.

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

I think these could be racks of reload DCs, each thrower (K-gun) seems to have had a single or double rack alongside it.

You are correct again Jeff thanks for keeping me right I need it.  :doh:

From the instructions the rack as you say goes along side the thrower for easy load I presume simple really to most anyway but it takes me a bit of time these days.  🦽

The K-gun will be added later as I will paint a darker colour so it stands out more

The kit does have some very good details but the instructions are some what iffy they have you building up the whole superstructure to the main deck and then fixing it to the lower hull what could possibly go wrong with that.  :shrug:

Last update on this until after the Scottish National show this weekend will hopefully get some good photos of what's on display and do a little post showing all maritime subjects or just might add link we will see.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

From the instructions the rack as you say goes along side the thrower for easy load I presume simple really to most anyway but it takes me a bit of time these days.

Gidday again Beefy, Two 1/700 scale ships I've done, the Fletcher class USS The Sullivans had three sets per side, the Buckley class DE USS England had four per side, and as luck would have it I've been scratch building mine (somewhat crudely) for the USS Mullany these last couple of days so it was fresh in my mind. From your instructions I've got my reload racks a little wrong - I've got the three across the top but not the single DC at the inboard end at deck level. Oh well, who's going to know? 🤫

I hope you have a good week-end at the show. 🙂 Ours' isn't until August. 😥 Still, that gives me time to get mine done.        Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well back to this one after my little detour in a fishing vessel.

Main mast and gun platforms painted and installed now for the deck lockers.

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 12

18 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Looking great Beefy, the more I look at her the more she looks like a little cruiser really, 

Yes something along the lines of the C class cruisers used by the Royal Navy.

Well been working on the base today basic insulation foam cut shaped and basic colours sprayed will then add a more solid bit of wood to the base and build up the side walls with some trim.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 13

Well more deck fittings added float net holders and a lot of lockers and vent's also made up the main forward mast had a dizzy moment and made a mess of the kit part for the top radar so cobbled together a look alike one from the spares box.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 11

Gidday @beefy66, that forward mast looks very neat, also the radar above it.

I've got a question for you - the floater nets. I'm assuming the baskets would be the same colour as the structures they're mounted on but the floater nets themselves? I noticed that you've painted them brown, I was thinking either a brown colour or dark grey (as the ship is light grey there and I want a colour difference. Do you have any knowledge of the colour or was it an educated guess, like me?

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jeff @ArnoldAmbrose

I did a bit digging while building up my Fletcher a couple of years back you can see from the photo below that they could be a dark grey but I went on the assumption of them using wood float blocks back in the day so that is why I painted them a brown colour I could be wrong it is often the case.

HTH

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

I did a bit digging while building up my Fletcher a couple of years back you can see from the photo below that they could be a dark grey but I went on the assumption of them using wood float blocks back in the day so that is why I painted them a brown colour I could be wrong it is often the case.

Gidday Beefy, I read about them recently in the book "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors". I'm not sure what they're made of, I can't remember if it was mentioned in the book. But what WAS mentioned was that they and the crew's life jackets were only good for about 20 hours in the water. After that they were too water-logged to sustain anyone and the crew discarded them when that began to happen. - they were weighing the men down. The survivors of the ships sunk were in the water for about 50 hours before they were picked up. If they were wood it could be cork or balsa.

I'll have a bit of a dig too but if I find nothing else then on the evidence of your photo I think I'll go with dark grey. Many thanks. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Well just a small update Frank is now settling into the base side trims fitted and primed not much done over the weekend been enjoying the sunshine for a change.  😎

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Well a small update things are busy at home again so I have  been experimenting with the weathering some rust streaks and some saltwater streaks added to the hull sides main mast in place and a couple of the Twin Bofors added to the aft bridge

Some rigging and then the rest of the Bofors and range finders.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 10

Gidday Beefy, she's looking great. I don't do weathering myself but I love the way you've got those rust streaks on the hull flowing aft a little, which seems to me what would happen with wind coming from ahead due to the ship's motion. I think it looks very authentic.

Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Well for some calm quiet therapy I decided to do some rigging this week Sid was a busy boy who said USN destroyers didn't have much rigging.  :doh:

Also added more deck fittings and made a start on the railings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 9

That's a damn good looking model there, Beefy! Very busy looking for a destroyer!

2 Questions; what did you use for the salt streaks? I really do like the look of them. And how did you shape the sea base?

James.

• Thanks 1