Goin'Up with the Spirit In the Sky. Titan Models 1/48 Northrop B-2 Spirit FINISHED!

I think I've finally managed to get the bomb bay in some sort of order.  Somewhere between a birds nest and something akin to endless rigmarole. Which means Ill eventually try to add more stuff to it.

But let's see what I came up with and I'll let you guys decide.

Earlier I had started the running wires and what not with the center brace in place. That turned out to ne a tactical error. Made it harder to route things. so I temporarily removed it and began the maddening task of running wiring and cable and hoses.

52793271129_4964ddf525_c.jpg

52793424125_db88d7190f_c.jpg

52793031151_3562dd01be_c.jpg

Using bits of black thread, Florist wire painted in sliver and black,  a little bit copper coloured metallic thread and finally thin solder wire. 

• Like 7

Once that was completed I began the process of doing the same to the Center brace. I routed wire in and around the Control box? then re-added the brace to the bay and continued on adding bits here and there.

52792474432_e921f6a454_c.jpg

52793424155_e512e3c5a6_c.jpg

52793476673_6212174eaf_c.jpg

52793476723_11bbb78c5f_c.jpg

52793476663_9d071b7639_c.jpg

Then I added the final large hose/duct work on the ends.  Not perfect but I think I managed to achieved the desired "busyness" with out being too cluttered. The actual bay has A LOT more bits than I've added here. The rotary launcher and ordinance I'll add last. I still have a couple of sections left over from my B-1 Build awhile back. I just have to modify one section lengthening it to fit the bay.

And no I didn't get this done in one sitting, but completed over several days 3-4 hours each day. The only section left is the main gear bays. Then onto really stepping out of my Comfort Zone( gee that almost sounds like an idea for a GB) and starting the work on the lighting. Before that though I do need to make further progress on a few larger builds and some smaller ones just to keep what sanity I have left intact. So stay tuned for more exciting adventures the Diary of a Mad Model Builder.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Since its been almost.... Good Lord!.... 2 months. :gobsmacked: it's time for a little update.

I made a new set of main gear bays with additional detail. I did try to just add bits and pieces to the kit parts but they just didn't come out the way I wanted so I printed out a new set additional bracing and panels and boxes here and there for good measure. then I tested the kits main gear to make sure the dimensions were correct. off width wise by about a millimeter, but I can live with that. That gives me wiggle room when finally setting them in place. Those will be augmented as well.

52928225366_425c3935d2_c.jpg

A coat of white paint and some bits of wire and thread and a couple of days where to put stuff. They still look a tad bare(there is a LOT of plumbing in these things) I may add more after the gear are permanently set If it's feasible. I don't want to tear off anything I've added trying to get the gear legs in.

52928826513_d1b37e6411_c.jpg

I then gave everything a light gray wash. I didn't want to get them too dirty. The ground crew keep these planes in almost showroom new at all times( they better at 2 Billion$ a pop) but did want to have some of the detail stand out.

• Like 5

Almost time to start gluing things together, but first I need to cut a few things away for future use.

First the beaver tail at the back

52928526214_aac4a599ff_c.jpg

I want to deploy this in a slightly downward position. Best way to describe from what I've read it's used to assist the in controlling gust loads like the tail of a bird. A good portion of the images I've seen has it in a slightly down configuration, when  at station or getting ready for takeoff.

And I cut out the lower entry hatch to the flight deck.

52928375126_185b5063f5_c.jpg

As you can see it's significantly larger than the kit part. I'll also have to make a new set of stairs but that will be towards the end. The hatch cover is also curved to match the shape of the lower fuselage where the kit part is a flat surface. Hence the reason it looks a little "funky", but correct.

• Like 3

I did glue the wheel bays in temp set the gear and temp attached the bomb bay and cockpit. I wanted to see how much weight was going to be needed to keep this bird from being a tail sitter.

52927825352_08a97f960d_c.jpg

This may look strange, but I placed started with 56g of steel stick on tire weights then set the top fuselage half on, then placed the additional kit pieces in their approximate load area on top of that to get an idea how much weight (more or less) I'll need.

52928862523_527b9659b8_c.jpg

So far it looks like somewhere in the range of 84g which is a lot less than I thought. The only thing not accounted for at this point is the flaps, flaperons and ordinance for the bomb bays. Rough guesstimate i think will be an additional 21g. So I'm still getting off light.

• Like 5

Now the bays are all permanently attached.

52927825347_67c55e3067_c.jpg

This done I can start laying out the wiring for the lights. thats going to be a delay of a few days. I started doing this earlier today and noticed I'm going to be a few lights short of what I need and I'll need more extensions because of the wingspan. I've place an order form an online supply named Evans designs. Magic Scale modelling doesn't have the extras I need. So while thats' temporarily on hold I decided to begin work on the start cart and aircraft tug I should have the designs for those ready in a day or so. So the FUN really begins. I have never attempted lighting so this should get real interesting real quick. stick around for all the fun and frivolity.:wall::popcorn:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Hook said:

What a monster - great work!

11 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Impressive beast!

Thanks Guys:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, 81-er said:

She's looking good, Loren. All of that detail you've added to the bays is superb :)

James

Thanks James. There is still a long way to go before this is finished.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the EASY part is done. time to step Waaaay out side the comfort zone. Electrical lights and wiring..

52953737571_7ce019915f_c.jpg

In addition to the Magic Scale light set I picked up some flashing strobe pico lights a better main wiring connector set and a button switch.

• Like 4

I ran a quick test on the lights for the engines and their on-off in the sequence of an engine start-up taxi set up.

52954210308_e5a7457c1d_c.jpg

I did dip the big lights in some Tamiya Transparent Orange to tone down the brightness  some and give a flame-like hue. 

52953759571_d24a8888f3_c.jpg

They start up one side then then other and flicker.

• Like 3

Next test was for the instrument panel. I built a new light enclosure behind the panel. This also gave me a chance to see where the light leakage was, not too much. Being the cockpit may not be an issue.

52954211713_6f71a293d7_c.jpg

I will have to give the panel coaming another coat or two of black though.

52953899599_e4727630e2_c.jpg

• Like 2

Now I have a question for my stalwart colleagues, Rather than try to splice in my additional lights I have extra terminals on the circuit board I can connect to. The voltage is minimal , and with a 6 volt power supply I can add another 30 lights( taking into account the circuit board). but I don't know what type of connector end this is or where I can find them. this is the male connector, I also need the female version as well.

52954213823_c2a1c1b364_c.jpg

The wire is in the 28-32AWG range. maybe a hair smaller. I hoping @bar side or @billn53 may possibly know since they have done electified model projects.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Thanks Bill. I appreciate it. They're not very big  14mm long and 2mm square. I've seen them before, I just can't remember for the life of me the proper name for them to do an online search. So far I've come up with every other type of connector. I can get by not having them. It just makes the job a little bit easier and  neater and more secure. The Evans Design lights can be hooked up directly to the power supply. Going through  the circuit board allows for the lights to turn on in the proper sequence.

3 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Thanks Bill. I appreciate it. They're not very big  14mm long and 2mm square. I've seen them before, I just can't remember for the life of me the proper name for them to do an online search. So far I've come up with every other type of connector. I can get by not having them. It just makes the job a little bit easier and  neater and more secure. The Evans Design lights can be hooked up directly to the power supply. Going through  the circuit board allows for the lights to turn on in the proper sequence.

I just realized I may actually have some connectors like those (I’m away from home this week, otherwise I’d check my collection of stuff).
Search for ‘breadboard jumper wires’ (or ‘micro jumper wires’) —  that might be what you’re looking for.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Now that the EASY part is done. time to step Waaaay out side the comfort zone. Electrical lights and wiring..

Go big or go home! Fantastic work on this, gonna be a good one.

• Thanks 1

This is going to look fantastic with all of those lights, Loren. As Bill said, you want to be looking for breadboard wires for those connectors.

James

10 hours ago, billn53 said:

I just realized I may actually have some connectors like those (I’m away from home this week, otherwise I’d check my collection of stuff).
Search for ‘breadboard jumper wires’ (or ‘micro jumper wires’) —  that might be what you’re looking for.

3 hours ago, 81-er said:

This is going to look fantastic with all of those lights, Loren. As Bill said, you want to be looking for breadboard wires for those connectors.

James

Thanks Guys. That's the word I was trying to remember. And in the interim, ,because I'm a senile old fart that can't see what's in front of him, I realized I have exactly what I need in all this stuff I got to do the lighting. The Magic Scale lights came with 10 wiring extensions, with male and female ends. they're about 12" long. Not quite long enough to reach out to the navigation lights. Which is why I got a roll  black/red twisted wire. I'll cut and splice where I need to using these. The only area now I'm nervous about is the soldering the really fine wire on the pico strobe lights single strand solid wire maybe .03mm. I'll have to turn down the heat on my soldering iron., and work very carefully. I've got Nav/strobe light housings and and Astro navigation lens assembly printing out . More fun ahead!