Italeri Hercules C130J 1:72- My First Build (Please be gentle!)

Hi there.

I received an Italeri Hercules C130J 1:72 for Christmas. It's the first model I've built in about 30 years, after building loads of basic kits very badly in my childhood!

I've never done anything other than poorly glueing kits together and slapping on a coat of paint before, so I wanted to do it properly.

After reading a lot of posts and watching Youtube vids, I started with some paint thinning, light coats etc.

I've slowly painted most of the parts with an initial thinned coat of Revell Aqua Color paints and it's far from perfect, but clearly better than slapping on a thick coat.
I think it all needs at least 1 more coat. The only parts not painted are the main fuselage and wings which I have a grey Tamiya aerosol for.

I know the standard isn't anywhere near some of the fantastic work I've seen posted on the forum, but I'm sure there will be loads of mistakes and learning opportunities along the way; and I'm looking forward to getting this one together.

52603582077_ca15caa7be_b.jpg
Italeri C130J Hercules 1:72 by Isca Steve, on Flickr

52604081911_fdf6f18586_b.jpg

52604506800_65bea6e7c3_b.jpg

One of the big surprises was how much bigger it is than a 1:144 kit like the B737-800! 

52604588903_f417e83c0a_b.jpg

A first pass at correcting the windscreen screen area. I still need to sort the nose.

52604506135_eaef477d79_b.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Edited by IscaSteve
  • Like 16
  • Sad 1

• IscaSteve changed the title to Italeri Hercules C130J 1:72- My First Build (Please be gentle!)

Nice. Another trip down memory lane. I've had the 1/48 scale one in my stash for many years. Dreading to think what the quality's like. Following with interest. jj

• Like 2

18 hours ago, IscaSteve said:

I know the standard isn't anywhere near some of the fantastic work I've seen posted on the forum, but I'm sure there will be loads of mistakes and learning opportunities along the way

Actually if you look around on this forum not everyone's work is museum standard (although as you say certain people produce some beautiful models), so don't be embarrassed about sharing - they're a friendly bunch on here and any criticism is (usually) positive and helpful. I can guarantee by the completion of your build you will have learnt a few things from the more experienced modellers, and be looking forward to putting them into practice on your next build...

I built the ancient Airfix C-130 many many moons ago and I can positively state that however yours turns out it will be 100% better than my effort! Following with interest.

• Like 4

Hi Steve,

I've got the old Italeri C-130E/H kit in 1/48 to fight with, for which I bought a lot of the former Attack Squadron stuff (engine nacelles, flaps and wheels).

Ever since Zvezda released their C-130 kit in 1/72, I started spotting how good the windscreen area is replicated on those kits, in comparison to the Italeri ones. 

spacer.png

For instance: there's one aspect; do you think it'd be possible to accentuate the flatness present in the transition of the upper and lower sections between the fuselage and windscreen on the Italeri kits? Some flatness is there on the lower section, especially, but it's a lot subtler than on the Zvezda kits. 

Upper section doesn't get any flat transition.

Will be following your progress.

Cheers. 

22 hours ago, IscaSteve said:

I know the standard isn't anywhere near some of the fantastic work I've seen posted on the forum

I wouldn’t worry, everyone has to start somewhere and the main point of the hobby is to enjoy your builds not impress other modellers, plus I hope you’ll find that Britmodeller is a very helpful and easygoing community.

On the painting front, if your brush painting the trick ( I find) is to use synthetic bristle with acrylics and to use a wide brush. You will get better results with an airbrush (doesn’t need to be an expensive one, my workhorse is a kkmoon bought for €40 off eBay along with a small compressor) but it’s a much steeper learning curve.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Galligraphics said:

Actually if you look around on this forum not everyone's work is museum standard (although as you say certain people produce some beautiful models), so don't be embarrassed about sharing - they're a friendly bunch on here and any criticism is (usually) positive and helpful. I can guarantee by the completion of your build you will have learnt a few things from the more experienced modellers, and be looking forward to putting them into practice on your next build...

I built the ancient Airfix C-130 many many moons ago and I can positively state that however yours turns out it will be 100% better than my effort! Following with interest.

Completely agree. I'm an OOB man and proud, but have respect for the rivet counters.  It's your hobby; enjoy. 😁

And I've realised that I have the old Airfix C-130 in my stash too.  My wee brother gave it to me years ago, pre refuelling probe.

• Like 1

Well you are certainly starting with a bang! That's one huge model - you might want to treat it as a series of sub projects to avoid getting overwhelmed.

Agree 100% about using wide flat brushes for even quite small areas of paint. You don't have to spend a fortune on brushes, but be ruthless if the brush doesn't work and chuck it out - if you are paying around a fiver for a set of half a dozen brushes in a craft shop the quality can be all over the place. It won't take you long to learn which ones work and which don't.

Looking forward to your build.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2