Halcyon Alien Space Jockey TheB version

10 hours ago, 81-er said:

I'm really impressed with how few air bubbles you're getting with those. Are you using a vacuum to remove the air, or are you just good at casting? It's something I've not attempted yet

James

Hi James.

No on the vacuum. I slush cast in small areas of the edge part first and then work my way in. Talcum powder is a must before I start as this helps tons to suck the resin into the small areas and forces the air out a lot more than if I didnt powder the mold.

to be sure, I get some bodgealls (new term to describe imperfections) but I try to clean these little things up before releasing as I don’t want any work to be had by the recipient other than the painting.

Edited by Theb
  • Like 1

This looks good… as usual :D that shape under the new bit looks like Skeletor’s mask upside down :hmmm:

EDIT: it also looks a bit like the face of the human/alien hybrid at the end of Alien: Ressurection, now I think about it. 

• Haha 2

I hadn't spotted either of those until I read your comment, Mike, but now I can't unsee them. And I concur, nice work Mr B

James

• Haha 1

On 12/07/2023 at 11:55, Theb said:

Sorry Mike.

Haven’t forgotten about the stand revision.

will send out sooner than you find your kit…promise🤪

Brian.

• Haha 1

Still working the jockey and in between looking at the back wall with regards to fixing it to the table top and then a flood of resin for the flooring. Eggs! to be or not to be as they may look a little 'tacky'! but will consider.

Toying with the idea of using another food group on this for the floor effect around the turntable and extension.

Bv8SuhG.jpg5fnJnVX.jpgLbBHWaO.jpg2PNmsQC.jpg

N.b. Not the Jockey final version.

ddF9upf.jpg

Needs a good clean as it's been on the floor in the bedroom/work room and is really dusty!

Edited by Theb
addition
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

... so do were admire your finished model or just cut a slice and eat it? :tasty:

Was considering the possibility of casting the complete thing in chocolate! yummy.

• Haha 2

Working on the strut area for a bit.

xoj20s5.jpg

Fixing the strut part to the nose part, I'm hoping, that I'll be able to shape both parts so that they fit together as near bang on as possible

Edited by Theb
  • Like 8

Ok, so my guessing at this stage is that I'll break down the jockey differently from the original Halcyon when it comes to molding. The nose section I think I need to combine with the jockey seat so as to achieve a better merging of the two parts and then, maybe, attempt my very first two part mold (dreading). The strut part will be a separate section and the canon I'll combine with the 'viewer panel' part because there is a little bit of carry over piping that needs to be added to the top part of the join.

The front struts that I was missing from my original Halcyon are in the process of being rebuilt and I'm thinking that it would be a better option to make the strut and the part that it affixes to on the strut part, a one piece and then remove the strut part. This is because of the way it looks in the pic below.

SVLKhqB.png

And how the original model was done.

XZtF0Qz.jpg

New parts.

Escch5p.jpg

And a couple of where I'm at comparison pics.

LbIVZBy.jpgyc2f3Pq.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, 81-er said:

That's a real night & day difference between the original and your improved version!

Just trying to do justice to the original design and also enhance what is already a superb piece of sculpting. I did find a Facebook page dedicated to Halcyon so I’ve asked the question as to who the artist was for the space jockey so I can give them a nod.

Edited by Theb
  • Like 1

Again I've discovered that having super glue readily available on the worktop is a good thing when stabbing your thumb with a mini chisel... Sooooo much blood!

No pics... too screamish :banghead:

Yay! just discovered animated emoji's!

• Sad 1

Seems that I might be able to get the front strut to work with the plan of having it cut out of the middle strut.

uUB0bJZ.jpgPTCpxyQ.jpg

Bit of tweaking and I should be able to get it bang on postition.

• Like 6

Added the last bits of detailing to the top of the floor extension.

May add detailing to the sides even though they will hardly be seen... but I'll know they are there!

VBTSBaL.jpg

Filling and sanding and clean up before the mold on this then I'll have to shower the whole thing off as it's covered in dust.

N.B. Turntable pictured is one of the fallen and won't be used.

• Like 8

Amazing, superlative, definitive work, here! Your skills are just astonishing.

There is one thing.... Where did the light inside the jockey's cockpit actually come from? I think we can assume the Derelict had been on LV426 for decades (or even centuries), so did he not switch the ship's lights off, before he got such bad heart-burn? His leccy bill is going to be sky-high!

Thanks for sharing your build with us. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Monty said:

Excellent work and so much detailed stuff going into this. A very nice tribute to a classic movie :)

Aiming for just that. A tribute. We lost a great in Mr Giger and forever will there be a place in weirdness for him... and my heart.

Can't forgive Species 2 though!

Sorry.

B.