Hobby Boss 1/48 IAR-80

I'm happy to present my latest build.  I never really knew much about the aircraft until recently, but I knew immediately that I wanted to build one.  Hobby Boss makes a very nice kit in 1/48.  Not a ton of extras but you do get a nicely detailed cockpit and some PE parts (seatbelt & map holder).  The kit fits up well and was easy to build so no issues there.  The decals gave me no trouble and responded well to setting solution.  There is a bit of an issue with the alignment of the red dots inside the blue circles on the insignias.  I wish the insignias matched my yellow (RLM-04) better but they are close enough it isn't too jarring.  I also would like to have avoided the hard edged camo but my airbrush is not up to doing that without excessive spatter.  I've since purchased a better brush.  Other than those few issues, I'm very happy with it.

New to me things I did on this build:

-First time using any PE parts.

-First time trying to simulate mud spatter under the wings (I used panel line wash)

-First time using tubing/wire.  I love the striped pitot tube and I broke off the plastic one.  Another build I have in progress supplied tubing and wire.  There was extra so I made a new pitot tube.  My absolute favorite part of the build is the antenna mast.  The mast actually goes through the cockpit and is attached to the dash so I wanted to simulate it.  I drilled the canopy and used wire to make the mast.  It worked out about as well as I could hope for except for scratching the canopy (should have left the tape on).

-Adding insulators to the antenna wire.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 29

Very nice model of a beautiful machine I've always had a soft spot for! Looks great as-is and honestly, soft edges on a real scale could end up sharper when scaled down.

I can definitely relate on the difficulties with the camo, as my airbrush sputters a lot - my solution right now is to mask with office gum (blue tack in the UK) but it has the nasty side effect of pulling underlying paint when removing if there has been even a smudge of oil (fingerprint, etc.) below the primer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

Very nice model of a beautiful machine I've always had a soft spot for! Looks great as-is and honestly, soft edges on a real scale could end up sharper when scaled down.

I can definitely relate on the difficulties with the camo, as my airbrush sputters a lot - my solution right now is to mask with office gum (blue tack in the UK) but it has the nasty side effect of pulling underlying paint when removing if there has been even a smudge of oil (fingerprint, etc.) below the primer.

Thanks for the compliments.  I tried using the tack material too but it left an residue on the paint so it didn't look good. 

2 minutes ago, Fin said:

Congratulations, that`s a really nice model! Wish Hobby Boss would have released this in 1/72 scale too...

Thanks.  Considering your avatar, I take that as high praise. 

Beautiful build! Very tidy and the understated chipping and weathering really bring it alive. Nice job on that funky aerial mast! 

I didn't even know this kit existed! I have a SOVA/ Amodel 1/72 one stashed, but it's pretty spongy looking and will need a lot of work to sharpen up I suspect.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ngantek said:

Beautiful build! Very tidy and the understated chipping and weathering really bring it alive. Nice job on that funky aerial mast! 

I didn't even know this kit existed! I have a SOVA/ Amodel 1/72 one stashed, but it's pretty spongy looking and will need a lot of work to sharpen up I suspect.

Thank you.  I found it pretty easily on Ebay.  I just checked again and there are plenty of these available on Ebay.  Average price is probably about $35.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Just spotted this as I'm thinking about an IAR.80 in 1/48 (I had the LTD kit pre-marriage/kids, but sold it along with everything else!).

This is an absolutely superb build, and the extra small details - antenna mast, pitot etc - really bring it life. Thanks for sharing. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Thanks 1