2cm Salvenmaschinenkanone SMK 18 Typ 2 (Das Werk)

• 1 month later...

Hi, everyone!
Haven't uploaded anything new in a long time. But I finally managed to wake up after winter hibernation :)
So, I almost finished painting and assembling the main body. So far, the loading levers with handles are missing yet, I will glue them later.

For the main body, I decided to use a German red primer color because I have come up with a special story for this cannon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The photos are very unsuccessful, the nuances are completely invisible. In fact, the magazines are painted in different shades, they are slightly different from each other,  and their wear also differs - some are heavily worn, others look new. Same thing with barrels.

Vytautas

• Like 14

Quite a superb build Vytautas,  the combination of the primer red against the steel works really well, beautifully weathered too.

Sounds daft but I can't decide how many barrels it has. Is it 8 judging the magazines??

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Quite a superb build Vytautas,  the combination of the primer red against the steel works really well, beautifully weathered too.

Sounds daft but I can't decide how many barrels it has. Is it 8 judging the magazines??

Thank you for your kind words, Darryl!
You counted correctly, there are really eight barrels here. In the center between them is another cylinder with a damping system or something similar. As I mentioned, the photos are not very good, so some details are poorly visible. That cylinder is painted gray, so it is not much different from the background.

Vytautas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention that I made the mesh at the bottom of the cannon on the spent cartridges exhaust channel out of a fabric called Organza. It is a cheap synthetic fabric with about 1X1 cm of cells when converted to real scale. One unpleasant feature of this fabric is it's glossy. But this problem is easy to solve - just spray with matte varnish or matte paint.

This fabric looks much better than any PE. I highly recommend this product.

Vytautas

Edited by vytautas
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Not the same gun obviously but I thought you might like this.

Yes, it’s Flak 43 zwilling and I really like it, especially without the shields that block the view of the whole mechanism. A great source of inspiration! Thank you, I even started looking for who makes such a model... :)

2 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Very good work Vytautas, I really like the paint effect that you have done with the worn finish against the red primer, looks very convincing...Well done...

Thanks very much Ed. Much appreciated. I decided that the gray cannon base, blackened metal, and red main body would be an interesting and not boring color combination.

Vytautas

• Like 2

Very nice indeed vytautas 👍 even the most subtle of variation has a big effect. 

Like the wire mesh. I have some tulle which is a variation on your organza which I will be trying out presently 😉

Andrew 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, APA said:

Very nice indeed vytautas 👍 even the most subtle of variation has a big effect. 

Like the wire mesh. I have some tulle which is a variation on your organza which I will be trying out presently 😉

Thanks, Andrew, that's high praise indeed.

We, the modelers, are very smart and insidious, we are able to use the strangest materials and technologies that other people would not even think about using :D

Vytautas

• Like 2