Sardaukar's tank, AFV and wheelie thing factory

7 minutes ago, Old pro said:

Hate to tell you, the tracks are back to front🤫

:oops: thanks, that should be salvageable, instructions might be wrong in that case but its not hugely obvious which way they go.

11 minutes ago, Old pro said:

all TOS 1As are based on T 72 hulls, where I think Modelcollect got the T 90 version from is the fact that in some vehicles the newer tracks are used or they have the same engine as the T 90 but the hulls are 72s

Ive seen hulls with different furniture like in the example here. https://militaryleak.com/2022/03/05/ukrainian-armed-forces-seize-russian-tos-1a-heavy-flamethrower-system-in-chernihiv-region/. It has the different glacis setup and also the side skirts with the 3 armour panels which the instructions would have you believe are the t-90 parts, or just a more modern t-72 Hull?

3 hours ago, sardaukar said:

:oops: thanks, that should be salvageable, instructions might be wrong in that case but its not hugely obvious which way they go.

Ive seen hulls with different furniture like in the example here. https://militaryleak.com/2022/03/05/ukrainian-armed-forces-seize-russian-tos-1a-heavy-flamethrower-system-in-chernihiv-region/. It has the different glacis setup and also the side skirts with the 3 armour panels which the instructions would have you believe are the t-90 parts, or just a more modern t-72 Hull?

Yeah they come in a lot of configurations and with all sorts of various bits, the three armour panels were technically introduced on the T 72B (mod89) as was the front armour panel, but seeing as the T 90 is just a modernised T 72 there is no real way of knowing what the hulls are without all the documentation, proper New T 90s have a different rear hull plate, but then so do the BMPT and T 72B3 (the only kits that do this rear plate are the Zvezda T 72B3 and T 90MS). Basically what makes a T 90 is the turret and fire control system, there is nothing really in the hull other than the extra anti radiation cladding near the drivers periscope and hatch that is indicative of a T 90.

as for the tracks never say never, there is a picture of a T 72B from the Ukraine with the tracks on backwards, Modelcollect instructions are a big vague on which way round they go, they can also have the new double pin tracks.

even I can’t keep track these days, find a picture as close to what you want (or what you have) and run with it, especially recently with all the add ons and different fits in Ukraine, even now the Russians are modifying the T 72B3,  making the model I’m making (which is updating the Zvezda kit) outdated!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Yg Models said:

i can't access trumpeter / hobbyboss official wetsite in HK, how about in your region? won't be bankrupt? 😨

it timed out for me. I hope they haven't gone bankrupt, they are one of the few regularly pumping out new kits and some interesting stuff too. although it could explain recent price rises.

I can't access either of these sites from uk. I just get

"This site can’t be reached

trumpeter-china.com took too long to respond."

Just got the Revell Cromwell and Nashorn on E-bay. £21.90 for the two including postage.

Now I have a proper Cromwell to compare with the IBG offering.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old pro said:

Yeah they come in a lot of configurations and with all sorts of various bits, the three armour panels were technically introduced on the T 72B (mod89) as was the front armour panel, but seeing as the T 90 is just a modernised T 72 there is no real way of knowing what the hulls are without all the documentation, proper New T 90s have a different rear hull plate, but then so do the BMPT and T 72B3 (the only kits that do this rear plate are the Zvezda T 72B3 and T 90MS). Basically what makes a T 90 is the turret and fire control system, there is nothing really in the hull other than the extra anti radiation cladding near the drivers periscope and hatch that is indicative of a T 90.

as for the tracks never say never, there is a picture of a T 72B from the Ukraine with the tracks on backwards, Modelcollect instructions are a big vague on which way round they go, they can also have the new double pin tracks.

even I can’t keep track these days, find a picture as close to what you want (or what you have) and run with it, especially recently with all the add ons and different fits in Ukraine, even now the Russians are modifying the T 72B3,  making the model I’m making (which is updating the Zvezda kit) outdated!

aha I forgot that T-90 was basically a T-72 rebrand after the export variants did so badly in certain wars.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2023 at 16:00, echen said:

I can't access either of these sites from uk. I just get

"This site can’t be reached

trumpeter-china.com took too long to respond."

Just got the Revell Cromwell and Nashorn on E-bay. £21.90 for the two including postage.

Now I have a proper Cromwell to compare with the IBG offering.

Probably to do with Chinese New Year give it a couple of weeks, 😂

• Like 1

Time for an actual update after a productivish Sunday.

I had been working on the armoured car group build so pretty much finished off a pair of S-Model Dingoes.

PXL_20230127_002954836.jpg

more pics in the group build if interested.

The TOS-1A Link and length tracks will get finished at some point. Instead I've been trying to complete a few half finished models on the shelf of doom.

PXL_20230130_192015496.jpg

A PST KV-1S or C depending on the alphabet used, this has been sitting on the shelf for almost two years, finally did some sprayed highlights and gloss coated it and decals. The decal backing paper has gone yellow, hopefully to be hidden by weathering. Next up some weathering to go, actually trying to follow some step by step stuff on this, instead of slapping whatever on it.

And it was time to revisit my Trumpeter T-80BV that I was planning to make as Ukrainian with digital camo, I'd been putting this off but it wasn't too bad once I got going.

PXL_20230129_183935701.jpg

Construction complete, this was an out of the box build except for the T-80 front skirts that this kit is missing which I added from some ice cream tub plastic.  I donno about accuracy but it looks good once built it has somewhat simplified tracks where the inner roadwheels, idler and sprocket are separate, but the tracks and outer roadwheels are all moulded as one piece.

PXL_20230129_183856009.jpg

I used the digital stencil on the right to cut random digital camo shapes out of masking tape, I got by with the 17 above.

PXL_20230129_184013551.jpg

The colours used for this 4 colour camouflage 

PXL_20230130_192042556.jpg

The aftermath, I reused the stencils for each colour, I experimented a bit with the airbrush and a hairy stick. The airbrush actually came out the best a normal paint brush produced much more bleed under the stencil that I had to clean up.

PXL_20230130_192031580.jpg

The current state of the tank, I'm quite pleased with this although it might need a bit more touch up. Apart from the time taken to cut the stencils it wasn't that much harder than other masked camo schemes. Now lets see if I can finish this sometime this year :D.

I also found a youtuber who handpaints digital camo on 1/72 models so worth a look although his videos have no sound. https://www.youtube.com/@yame-scale1820/featured

Cheers

Calum

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sardaukar said:

Time for an actual update after a productivish Sunday.

I had been working on the armoured car group build so pretty much finished off a pair of S-Model Dingoes.

PXL_20230127_002954836.jpg

more pics in the group build if interested.

The TOS-1A Link and length tracks will get finished at some point. Instead I've been trying to complete a few half finished models on the shelf of doom.

PXL_20230130_192015496.jpg

A PST KV-1S or C depending on the alphabet used, this has been sitting on the shelf for almost two years, finally did some sprayed highlights and gloss coated it and decals. The decal backing paper has gone yellow, hopefully to be hidden by weathering. Next up some weathering to go, actually trying to follow some step by step stuff on this, instead of slapping whatever on it.

And it was time to revisit my Trumpeter T-80BV that I was planning to make as Ukrainian with digital camo, I'd been putting this off but it wasn't too bad once I got going.

PXL_20230129_183935701.jpg

Construction complete, this was an out of the box build except for the T-80 front skirts that this kit is missing which I added from some ice cream tub plastic.  I donno about accuracy but it looks good once built it has somewhat simplified tracks where the inner roadwheels, idler and sprocket are separate, but the tracks and outer roadwheels are all moulded as one piece.

PXL_20230129_183856009.jpg

I used the digital stencil on the right to cut random digital camo shapes out of masking tape, I got by with the 17 above.

PXL_20230129_184013551.jpg

The colours used for this 4 colour camouflage 

PXL_20230130_192042556.jpg

The aftermath, I reused the stencils for each colour, I experimented a bit with the airbrush and a hairy stick. The airbrush actually came out the best a normal paint brush produced much more bleed under the stencil that I had to clean up.

PXL_20230130_192031580.jpg

The current state of the tank, I'm quite pleased with this although it might need a bit more touch up. Apart from the time taken to cut the stencils it wasn't that much harder than other masked camo schemes. Now lets see if I can finish this sometime this year :D.

I also found a youtuber who handpaints digital camo on 1/72 models so worth a look although his videos have no sound. https://www.youtube.com/@yame-scale1820/featured

Cheers

Calum

That’s some dedication, one reason I don’t make Ukrainian tanks, unless I can find them analog camouflage 😂😂 I have a couple of the trumpeter T 80s and find them quite nice.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Old pro said:

That’s some dedication, one reason I don’t make Ukrainian tanks, unless I can find them analog camouflage 😂😂 I have a couple of the trumpeter T 80s and find them quite nice.

Now a smart person might've used this, however I didn't want to mess with irregular surfaces and decals.

1675117317194401-0.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Now a smart person might've used this, however I didn't want to mess with irregular surfaces and decals.

1675117317194401-0.png

I have the same misgivings about using decals over irregular surfaces, especially ERA bricks, luckily I have found pictures using normal camouflage so far even for Chinese tanks.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update, have been focusing on painting and trying to get stuff out of project boxes and off the shelf of doom and onto the display shelf.

Have been trying out more techniques with enamel washes and various oils for weathering.

My T-80BV I am now calling done, flag was a bit of a pain. Went for light weathering on this, almost factory fresh from the refurb depot.

PXL_20230215_181120600.jpg

PXL_20230215_181131483.jpg

PXL_20230215_181141919.jpg

My second soviet beast, this PST KV1-S, I used Ammo's 4BO green guide on this in an attempt to try and get a process going.

PXL_20230215_181032689.jpg

PXL_20230215_181024682.jpg

PXL_20230215_181018318.jpg

Will get some decent pics done and put them in RFI

I revisited this trumpeter Challenger 2 I've never finished, still plenty to do on it. I bought some carbonfibre? antenna from accurate armour and this is great stuff (also used for the T-80) although a bit pricy for a few short lengths. I kept snapping the plastic I'd used before.

PXL_20230215_181305296.jpg

PXL_20230215_181316987.jpg

My entire Japanese tank collection is sitting unweathered still, so I've made a start on it with this JNLF Type 89. More to come.

PXL_20230215_181223755.jpg

Cheers

Calum

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Yg Models said:

type 89 looks interesting. IBG product?

yes IBG they have some very nice ww2 Japanese stuff. I see hobbyeasy carries there stuff now, although fairly easy to get at a decent price in the uk.

3 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

easy to get at a decent price in the uk

yes, i ordered some IBG kits (can't see in local shops) on Tue. but haven't include Type 89 (since it looks similar to FT17). will add it (i like its rivet surface) to next batch.

any IBG's AFVs you built could suggest too?

Edited by Yg Models
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yg Models said:

yes, i ordered some IBG kits (can't see in local shops) on Tue. but haven't include Type 89 (since it looks similar to FT17). will add it (i like its rivet surface) to next batch.

any IBG's AFVs you built could suggest too?

I've been focused on IBGs British and Japanese stuff, they also have the 'world at war' brand which has some nice early war stuff, like the British A9 and A10 cruiser tanks. I can recommend all their Japanese stuff although they will do multiple versions of the same vehicle.

some of their new Italian trucks look nice especially the gun carriers.

• Thanks 1

A turn to the dark side 👹.

Well not quite its a 1/48 Tamiya T-34/85, I have a hard time visiting a Tamiya store without buying a kit, so I have a few in the stash.

I want to give it the 4BO treatment like the KV.

Just building it out of the box, it goes together like a dream.

1677023961161442-0.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Yg Models said:

what is 4BO treatment? a soviet green color scheme?

yes, tamiya is good at molding and in reasonable price.

yeah it's the standard soviet green from WW2 era, I have some weathering products specifically for it.

tamiya almost goes together like Lego, although I might replace the barrel with a metal one I didn't like the keying on the muzzle end.