Sardaukar's tank, AFV and wheelie thing factory

1 hour ago, sardaukar said:

Thanks for the pics and I generally don't try and model specific subjects like a particular tank from a photo. Specific colours can be a huge rabbit hole. mine is only base coated so far so scope for modulation, weathering etc.

Changing the subject slightly that pic with the three merkavas in a row is interesting as it appears to me to be one mk4 and two mk3s, would they mix types in units?

Yeah Israeli tanks seem to be heavily weathered, the current situation has thrown up relatively clean vehicles for now.

the first picture, all 3 are Merkava 3s the first (or the one on the left) is a mk3D the other two are mk3 Baz with the extra armour added to the roof. Or another way of putting it, one Hobbyboss and two Trumpeters 😁

• Like 1

Fun pic

spacer.png

From left to right

MaGach 6b Revell/Goffy? I think

MaGach 6b Baz Cromwell 

Merkava 1 Italeri

Merkava 2b Italeri/Revell and a lot of scratch building 

Merkava 2D Cromwell 

Merkava 3 Baz Trumpeter 

Merkava 3D Cromwell 

Merkava 3D Hobbyboss 

Merkava 3D(LIC) Hobbyboss 

Merkava 4 Hobbyboss 

The dark ones are in Hataka Sinai grey which I think is too dark for small scale and could do with lightening a bit. The lighter grey was an own mix going from photos, that however seems too light now, I was hoping that weathering would shift the tones a bit, but I’m now thinking that lightening the base colour and darkening the lighter ones is the way to go.

I am hoping to get a Merkava 1b in there as well but that needs an Italeri and Revell kit chopping together.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Old pro said:

Fun pic

spacer.png

From left to right

MaGach 6b Baz Cromwell 

Merkava 1 Italeri

Merkava 2D Cromwell 

Merkava 3 Baz Trumpeter 

Merkava 3D Cromwell 

Merkava 3D Hobbyboss 

Merkava 4 Hobbyboss 

The dark ones are in Hataka Sinai grey which I think is too dark for small scale and could do with lightening a bit. The lighter grey was an own mix going from photos, that however seems too light now, I was hoping that weathering would shift the tones a bit, but I’m now thinking that lightening the base colour and darkening the lighter ones is the way to go.

I am hoping to get a Merkava 1b in there as well but that needs an Italeri and Revell kit chopping together.

That does look like fun, it doesn't take much to send me down a rabbit hole when it comes to kits, I had 4 kits in the stash an Italeri, Revell, Hobby Boss 3D(LIC) and the Hobby Boss 4. I feel a Trumpeter 3 BAZ coming soon :).

I take it the ESCI/Italeri offering is the same sprues no matter what the boxing? As I've seen it boxed as a MK1 and a MK2.

I went straight from my Tiran 5 to a Merkava 4.

PXL_20220809_220250943.jpg

an excuse to post my kitbashed tiran 5 again :), its IDF sand grey 73 from vallejo.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, sardaukar said:

That does look like fun, it doesn't take much to send me down a rabbit hole when it comes to kits, I had 4 kits in the stash an Italeri, Revell, Hobby Boss 3D(LIC) and the Hobby Boss 4. I feel a Trumpeter 3 BAZ coming soon :).

I take it the ESCI/Italeri offering is the same sprues no matter what the boxing? As I've seen it boxed as a MK1 and a MK2.

I went straight from my Tiran 5 to a Merkava 4.

PXL_20220809_220250943.jpg

an excuse to post my kitbashed tiran 5 again :), its IDF sand grey 73 from vallejo.

The Esci/Italeri Merkava mk1 and 2 (don’t know if Italeri re released the mk2) are essentially the same kit but the mk2 should have the extra armour for the turret sides, however to build a mk2 you need a mk3 for bits, I used the Revell one cause it all I had at the time, the exhaust need swapping out and the mortar needs adding to the roof, a new stowage basket and engine deck armour, while I was at it I remade the turret side armour as it was a little simplified and did the roof armour for a later version and then one thing led to another☺️

i got the Black dog conversion for the Tiran, but the turret is so miscast it’s unusable but it’s still on the todo list, I’m suffering from “I’m bored with that, let’s do something else” syndrome at the moment 😂😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old pro said:

The Esci/Italeri Merkava mk1 and 2 (don’t know if Italeri re released the mk2) are essentially the same kit but the mk2 should have the extra armour for the turret sides, however to build a mk2 you need a mk3 for bits, I used the Revell one cause it all I had at the time, the exhaust need swapping out and the mortar needs adding to the roof, a new stowage basket and engine deck armour, while I was at it I remade the turret side armour as it was a little simplified and did the roof armour for a later version and then one thing led to another☺️

i got the Black dog conversion for the Tiran, but the turret is so miscast it’s unusable but it’s still on the todo list, I’m suffering from “I’m bored with that, let’s do something else” syndrome at the moment 😂😂

not sure I'm ready to start a Merkava production line, it would be nice if we got a takom treatment of the merkava, like they have done with the chieftain and M60. Hobby boss isn't bad but all stowage baskets are modelled covered.

I have several Tiran resin kits black dog, model miniature, modeltrans maybe, was disappointed so decided to kitbash instead.

you could always do some 40k if bored :).

21 hours ago, Old pro said:

Fun pic

spacer.png

From left to right

MaGach 6b Baz Cromwell 

Merkava 1 Italeri

Merkava 2D Cromwell 

Merkava 3 Baz Trumpeter 

Merkava 3D Cromwell 

Merkava 3D Hobbyboss 

Merkava 4 Hobbyboss 

NIce collection of the IDF vehicles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sardaukar said:

not sure I'm ready to start a Merkava production line, it would be nice if we got a takom treatment of the merkava, like they have done with the chieftain and M60. Hobby boss isn't bad but all stowage baskets are modelled covered.

I have several Tiran resin kits black dog, model miniature, modeltrans maybe, was disappointed so decided to kitbash instead.

you could always do some 40k if bored :).

It would be nice if Takom took up the slack or even Meng, Achzarit springs to mind! I am beginning to understand why Hobbyboss put tarps on, building the new basket for the Merkava 2 with all the rods at different angles, Most tanks have covers on anyway but Hobbyboss make them look empty with a tarp instead of the tarp covering something.

not bored of modelling, love the building and altering phase, it’s the painting and finishing stage where I stall. I don’t like having completed models stuck away in a box, but display space is limited. I used to sell the excess one rather than hide them. I think part of me wants to hold on to them, not finished in a box is OK but if I actually finish one then I’m going to have to decide what to do, part of me is already mourning some that I’ve sold and now wish I hadn’t!😭😂

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Old pro said:

It would be nice if Takom took up the slack or even Meng, Achzarit springs to mind! I am beginning to understand why Hobbyboss put tarps on, building the new basket for the Merkava 2 with all the rods at different angles, Most tanks have covers on anyway but Hobbyboss make them look empty with a tarp instead of the tarp covering something.

not bored of modelling, love the building and altering phase, it’s the painting and finishing stage where I stall. I don’t like having completed models stuck away in a box, but display space is limited. I used to sell the excess one rather than hide them. I think part of me wants to hold on to them, not finished in a box is OK but if I actually finish one then I’m going to have to decide what to do, part of me is already mourning some that I’ve sold and now wish I hadn’t!😭😂

I did not mind squirting paint over models with an airbrush but picking up a brush for weathering and detailing is often where I stall on builds, need to be in the right mood to paint. picking up a fresh kit and starting it is so much easier. Not run out of display space yet, I'm sure I will, the shelf of doom bulges however.

• Like 2

I enjoyed building the Trumpeter SU-152 so much I ordered another RB Models 152.4mm barrel from modelsforsale.com Ebay shop, so I could also build the Zvezda ISU-152.

the ISU-152 replaced the SU-152 in service, the SU-152 having been built on the KV chassis but with the ISU-152 being built on the later IS (or JS) chassis.

PXL_20231021_210221649.jpg

The Zvezda ISU-152 kit ready for painting, this is a Zvezda click fit kit however I've glued most of it. Zvezda track design is interesting but not so great for painting. I've used a trick I've seen several times on YouTube where you build the running gear on the model but only glue the wheels to the tracks so once set the track and wheel assembly can be removed for painting. You do need to make sure axle fit is loose enough that the running gear doesn't get stuck one, I've only broken on axel so far and replaced with paper clip.

PXL_20231021_210415301.jpg

Comparison shot

PXL_20231021_210429386.jpg

a different angle, I've drilled out the headlights, which I've been meaning to try for a while

• Like 8

On 10/21/2023 at 10:27 PM, sardaukar said:

I've used a trick I've seen several times on YouTube where you build the running gear on the model but only glue the wheels to the tracks so once set the track and wheel assembly can be removed for painting. You do need to make sure axel fit is loose enough that the running gear doesn't get stuck on,

Works well for link and length tracks too.

Great work here!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, echen said:

Works well for link and length tracks too.

Great work here!

thanks Echen, the Zvezda tracks take tamiya thin really well and also bend very well for one piece tracks.

1 hour ago, Yg Models said:

i bought  Zvezda SU-122, so know what you mean, it use the axis of wheel to lock the track. a little bit difficult to install after paint. 😵‍💫

I trimmed down the sprocket axle which is very long and doesn't want to rotate once fitted although it needs to be positioned well to close the loop properly. Can be a bit challenging to not lose the sprocket teeth while fitting. l before

Edited by sardaukar
l before e
  • Thanks 1

I have 2x Zvezda T34/85 and  SU100. I found the tracks fiddley to fit having pre painted all the running gear, including the tracks with humbrol matt enamel. They needed sticking to the wheels to get proper sag effect.

Edited by echen
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, echen said:

I have 2x Zvezda T34/85 and  SU100. I found the tracks fiddley to fit having pre painted all the running gear, including the tracks with humbrol matt enamel. They needed sticking to the wheels to get proper sag effect.

I think the method works better for t-34 based vehicles as there is no return rollers to further complicate things, although haven't tried myself yet.

I quite like this guy's videos although he hasn't done many.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Yg Models said:

interesting method to reform "one-piece" track, but this make painting, touchup harder?😅 

I think whatever method you go with is a trade off, many parts don't fit as well once painted.

whatever you find works best for you I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Time to make a come back :) haven't done anything of note model related for a month or two.

Santa :santa: dropped off an early Christmas parcel from Hong Kong today with some of the latest kits out of China in an effort to motivate me, with time off work coming up lets see if i can get something done :) 

AVvXsEg38Ww2S_wgSH2wzq1Emr08jiGTZjUVww-L

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Yg Models said:

twe weeks earlier from boxing day.

for M142, i wait foreart ver.

I did think about getting the Foreart HIMARS too, I really wanted the flyhawk T-34s while they were still doing both as a package, you never know when things might go out of stock.

Come new year they should have the new vespid centurion and T-34.

7 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Come new year they should have the new vespid centurion and T-34.

they are already in stock.

you could order next batch with foreart M142.

flyhawk has nice mold & details, i 100% will choose it if i haven't bought trumpeter T-85 before.

Edited by Yg Models

Hi All

I haven't touched a scale model in about 2 months, although I did do some miniature painting which I might post in the fig section. I wanted a quick build to get me going again, before I start the various unfinished paint jobs.

Did I chose one of my recent Chinese acquisitions at the cutting edge of 1/72 plastic scale modelling, flyhawk, takom, border maybe? Nope.

I went for the following from the stash.

PXL_20231221_051239357.jpg

My one and only model in the stash from MAC distribution. wheeled vehicles are just a bit simpler usually which is one of the reasons I went for this build.

The UAZ 469 was the soviets go at making a light rough terrain truck in the vein of the Jeep or the land rover. It was very successful and turned up everywhere, there isn't a lot of options for this in 1/72. 

PXL_20231221_051423622.jpg

However look at that sprue, its actually a single sprue cut into 3 to fit it in the box, the flash and quality of the moulding are not great, although the major vehicle body

parts don't seem too bad once cleaned up. Some horrible sprue gates. The weapons and crew figs, not so great. Typical short run kit issues.

MAC do 5 different boxings of the UAZ 469 and I believe with these sprues you could build any of them, as they do give all the parts (just not instructions), so will have a few bits left over for the bits box.

PXL_20231222_050440567.jpg

After a couple of hours we have the above.

cheers

Calum

• Like 5

Always wondered what these kits are like, didn’t realise they were short run but like you say, the only option available, nice to know that you seem to get the parts for all variants in whichever box, as I see the 14.5mm Kvpt, the 105mm gun and the SPG 9 gun on the sprues.

• Like 1

For my UAZ 469, I wasn't that impressed with the weapons that come with the kit, so I've been looking to replace them with something better. This quick build is evolving.

Something WW2 era wouldn't be too hard to source and I imagine a UAZ 469 must've had a Browning M2 mounted on it at least a few times. My technical sets from 3R Model have various weapons but I have plans for those.

I got a 3D resin printer recently after years of deliberation, and so far I've been printing mainly 28mm wargaming minis with it but I went looking for some suitable files for it that might suit my 'Soviet Technical', also it was a bit of a test for what I could print successfully in 1/72.

PXL_20231223_031946236.jpg

PXL_20231223_032004044.jpg

First up a rocket pod that we've seen mounted on the back of trucks in the middle east, those holes actually go all the way through, I don't think I will use this for the UAZ469 and will keep it for another project.

PXL_20231223_031916958.jpg

An SPG-9 which is one of the kit options, Still needs a little clean up. I think I will go with this although I will need to scratch build a vehicle mount or possibly alter the kit part. My CAD skills so far consist of resizing other peoples work from 1/35 or other scales to 1/72. I'm not quite at the stage where I could design my own mount.

PXL_20231223_032053406.jpg

A shot for size, there is a bit of a learning curve with 3D printing also while there does seem to be a wealth of 3D parts online for free or paid, but there never quite seems to be exactly what you want. For example I wouldn't mind some replacement wheels for this project but I haven't had too much luck yet.

Cheers

Calum

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Designing your own parts is surprisingly easy, there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube for fusion 360 and I suppose others, but fusion 360 is free (with restrictions) although I have never done a tyre tread, but if an old fart like me can learn it☺️ of course I went the other way and purchased a set of aircraft weapons for the rocket pods.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2023 at 06:25, Old pro said:

Designing your own parts is surprisingly easy, there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube for fusion 360 and I suppose others, but fusion 360 is free (with restrictions) although I have never done a tyre tread, but if an old fart like me can learn it☺️ of course I went the other way and purchased a set of aircraft weapons for the rocket pods.

One day I will have a go, can also get 3D files form sources like computer games and turn them into STL's for printing.