SAAF Harvard MkIII, Encore 1/72nd (from the Dual Fun Box)...

John Masters

Once again I am in a quandary...This box makes me very confused...

51084515426_0b1b6d71c1_c_d.jpg

I really like the Scandinavian aircraft...the Danish with the yellow undersides...the Swedish with the orange stripes...the Israeli with the Suez bands...It's almost too much...

I think for sure I will build the SAAF kit first.  The second will probably be the Danish...

At least I will have the decals left over for the future!

51084515396_ea1bd4ddac_o_d.jpg

I'll get some sprue shots up tomorrow...

--John

• Like 8

• John Masters changed the title to SAAF T-6G, Encore 1/72nd (from the Dual Fun Box)...

As promised, some sprue...they even say 'Academy' on them....nice basic detail too.  I think the cockpit will look good so I'll leave the canopy as open as I can.

51086265936_18789f6236_c_d.jpg

And the chosen SAAF profile...

51001338834_98265658c5_c_d.jpg

So now I sit here and wait another 3 days.

It has occurred to me that, with the addition of this aircraft, I may very well have 4 builds on the bench at the same time.

I have a strange compulsion to begin another 19 Squadron aircraft, perhaps the OOB Bulldog from Airfix...or the Sopwith Snipe from Roden...

Madness.  I feel at home.  🤪  One among many.  😊

--John

• Like 5

7 hours ago, John Masters said:

It has occurred to me that, with the addition of this aircraft, I may very well have 4 builds on the bench at the same time.

I have a strange compulsion to begin another 19 Squadron aircraft, perhaps the OOB Bulldog from Airfix...or the Sopwith Snipe from Roden...

Madness.  I feel at home.  🤪  One among many.  😊

I just having finished four builds leaves me with three. I feel weird with less than four on the go so Ive started another Tamiya corsair and a Tuskegee Mustang. And I have the T-6 waiting in the wings.

• John Masters changed the title to SAAF Harvard MkIII, Encore 1/72nd (from the Dual Fun Box)...

And away I go...

My research has concluded that Interior Green is correct...and so...

51088776203_05b0bdf4cb_c_d.jpg

I'll pick out some detail, dry brush a bit here and there and add some Hi-End Parian seat harnesses later...😉

--John

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Wez said:

ust remember, don't get too carried away, we don't actually start until Saturday!

Oh....S#$%*T   I forgot!  I keep on thinking it began today...

Three day penalty for me, yellow card...🙄

Some moderator I am!  

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, John Masters said:

Is that what it is?  the Instructions say T-6G...I guess its the same thing.

At-6D I think was the equivalent of a Harvard MkII. Looks like you have all the right 'bits' though.

The kit is a T-6G but the shape is fine for an AT-6D, the only visible difference for most are the extra frames on the canopy, the T-6G doesn't have the vertical frame halfway along each clear section.

I don't know if the South Africans retained the long exhaust of the Harvards, a question for Martin @RidgeRunner

There are more subtle differences between the AT-6D and the T-6G for the purist but the canopy is the obvious one if you're bothered.

Good news - They did operate the T-6G but only a few. 

“The first Harvards arrived in South Africa in October 1942 for use by the Joint Air Training Scheme schools. By July 1944, 633 Harvard Mk IIA and III aircraft had been shipped to South Africa, with 555 surviving in October 1945 (379 MkIIAs and 176 Mk IIIs).
As the Harvards had been supplied on lend-leaseby the US, 300 were shipped back to the UK from 1946, with the remainder being purchased by South Africa.
65 AT-6Ds (7634 to 7698) and 30 T-6Gs (7699 to 7728) were purchased from the USA during 1952-1956.” source SAAF

Therefore 7723 is correct for your kit, John:). Here she is, on the cover of Airfix Mag

https://dockerills.myshopify.com/products/airfix-magazine-march-1971-cover-harvard

Martin

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 85sqn said:

They were all short exhausts in SA as far as I'm aware.

That would make sense, the longer exhaust provided the method for providing the cockpit heating, something you'd definitely need in a cold Canadian or indeed British winter but not something I imagine is a problem in South Africa.