1/72nd B-34 Lexington kit,..... built as a RAAF Ventura Mk.II aircraft! ***FINISHED****

3 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Hiya Chris,...... thanks mate,..... if you don`t need that canopy for anything then yes please,.... I`d love to have it,..... thanks. I will PM you my address.

Cheers

Tony 

No worries fella  just saw your PM come in.

Chris

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,.... a bit more work on the RB-34,.....

Having inspected photos of the real aircraft,..... the RAAF RB-34`s all appear to have the additional beam gun positions fitted on ech side of the fuselage, which became standard on the RB-37,.... and the kit windows also appeared to be slightly too small and squared off,..... whereas those on the real aircraft were larger and had rounded off edges,.... so the beam gun positions were cut out and the existing windows were enlarged with rounded off edges filed into place. The gun ports in the forward fuselage were blanked off with filler and the incorrect entrance door moulded into the right hand side of the fuselage was filled in and sanded smooth too. The wings and engine cowlings were also sanded and the cowling detail re scribed into place while the air intakes above the engines which are quite large and part way between the British Vokes filter modified aircraft and the standard verson were sanded down to try and replicate the maller standard size as much as possible;

DSCF9888-NEW.jpg

DSCF9889-NEW.jpg

Fudge the dog was less that impressed with all of the sanding!

DSCF9893-NEW.jpg

But now the sanding was over,..... the wings and tail could be fitted. The over thick guns for the mid upper turret were sanded down too to make them more scale like. The astrodome opening was drilled out and so was the mid upper gun turret opening, leaving  rim for the turret to sit on;

DSCF9891-NEW.jpg

Now thats more like it,...... thought Fudge a she emerged from her slumber,..... no more sanding!!

DSCF9897-NEW.jpg

And here ae both RB-34`s,.... the Aussie one in the foreground with its empennage fitted and the bean guns cut out,..... and the RCAF one without the beam guns and with the wings not yet fitted and one wing and engine nacelle left to sand and re scribe;

DSCF9895-NEW.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10

That is coming on well Tony. Plenty for me to look out for when I come to do mine. The Ventura in the RNZAF museum in Christchurch was originally a B-34. For years it lived on a farm nearby & as a young fellow I had the opportunity to poke around in it before it was given to the museum, so no prizes for guessing what subject I've chosen for it. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is coming on well Tony. Plenty for me to look out for when I come to do mine. The Ventura in the RNZAF museum in Christchurch was originally a B-34. For years it lived on a farm nearby & as a young fellow I had the opportunity to poke around in it before it was given to the museum, so no prizes for guessing what subject I've chosen for it. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve,..... I`m tempted to do  Kiwi RB-34 at some stage (I did built one many years ago!),..... I`m just unsure about the colour scheme. It is painted in a US style Olive Drab/Neutral Grey scheme,..... BUT,.... in one `in service' photo I can see a definite demarcation line across the fuselage,...... which could be the original RAF style camouflage showing through the new paint,.... or,.... was it actually painted in these RAF colours while in service?,

Ventura-Lexington-NZ4600-00-COASTAL-PATR

Which does roughly match an RAF pattern,... as seen on this one, the CO`s aircraft (note pennant!) one of those equipped with a 4 gun BP turret ;

Ventura-pic-1.jpg

Note that it also has the Kiwi aircraft also has the RB-37 style beam gun position windows too.

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Steve.

Hiya Again Steve,

I found this interesting about the RB-34 in New Zealand. But North Africa,..... really? 

https://pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/pv-1/NZ4600.html

Are these RAF style colours here? Or just fading and where tarps have been applied?

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7559967

Edited by tonyot

I reckon some of the info in the Pacific Wrecks site might be a bit wide of the mark, certainly I've not heard of them bring deployed to Nth Africa. Afaik, they came to New Zealand from the USAAF in the Pacific in pretty rumpty condition & were cannibalized to make a lessor number of OK ones which were used for coastal patrol around our shores. I don't think any went back up to the islands. I was mistaken in the museum it rests in, it is in MOTAT in Auckland, I was thinking of the Hudson in the RNZAF museum in Christchurch. I'm a bit hazy as to it's history at MOTAT, it did get restored only to spend a long time outside I think. Again, afaik, these were just OD/NG, I've not read of them being camo'd but wouldn't want to bet anything precious on that either. I'll try to remember to read up on it. On nights just now, a but brain dead. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2021 at 5:33 PM, stevehnz said:

I reckon some of the info in the Pacific Wrecks site might be a bit wide of the mark, certainly I've not heard of them bring deployed to Nth Africa. Afaik, they came to New Zealand from the USAAF in the Pacific in pretty rumpty condition & were cannibalized to make a lessor number of OK ones which were used for coastal patrol around our shores. I don't think any went back up to the islands. I was mistaken in the museum it rests in, it is in MOTAT in Auckland, I was thinking of the Hudson in the RNZAF museum in Christchurch. I'm a bit hazy as to it's history at MOTAT, it did get restored only to spend a long time outside I think. Again, afaik, these were just OD/NG, I've not read of them being camo'd but wouldn't want to get anything precious on that either. I'll try to remember to read up on it. On nights just now, a but brain dead. :)

Steve.

Cheers Steve and thanks for my nice surprise package today mate,..... VERY,.... much appreciated!  I used to like working nights,.... but I`m a bit weird like that,..... a bit of a night owl,..... only thing I didn`t like was driving to work past the pubs in the summer when everybody was out for a dink and I was off to work! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tony, just in case you haven't seen these, some reading for you. No mention in them of North African operations, in fact in the last one, Northcro seem to debunk that notion, his explanation sounds more feasible.

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/vencol.html

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/ven1.html

https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/1225/rnzaf-lockheeds

https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/20036/lockheed-rb-34-ventura-motat

https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/15695/rnzaf-34-ventura-gun-question.

those beam gun windows look like a lot of fun to replicate.

Steve. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Tony, just in case you haven't seen these, some reading for you. No mention in them of North African operations, in fact in the last one, Northcro seem to debunk that notion, his explanation sounds more feasible.

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/vencol.html

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/ven1.html

https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/1225/rnzaf-lockheeds

https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/20036/lockheed-rb-34-ventura-motat

https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/15695/rnzaf-34-ventura-gun-question.

those beam gun windows look like a lot of fun to replicate.

Steve. 

Thanks Steve,... some interesting stuff there,...... the photo showing the RB-34 with its nose guns still fitted  again appears to be in the factory applied  RAF camouflage,.... which is what most of them wore in USAAF service before being re distributed to the RAAF, RCAF, SAAF,.. which received the majority in these colours So by the law of averages the RNZAF most likely did receive at least someof their RB-34`s in the RAF colours which were applied at the factory?

I did think that the North Africa statement was wrong,....... it is well known that the RB-34`s had been serving with the USAAF in a training role having been impressed from British orders. Two RAF Ventura Mk.II`s did serve in Tunisia in a special duties role and many Ventura`s,.... including the ex USAAF RB-34`s did serve in South Africa....... but an RB-34 flying to Africa and then being sent to NZ just doesn`t sound right at all.   

12 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great  job , they are coming on well Tony and looking good.  

Ah yes the night work was good fun until I started waking up at lunchtime and then feeling very sleepy by 0400 hrs. Sometimes not remembering the journey home!!! 

Chris

Thanks Chris,.... yeah I know what you mean about nights,.... lose sleep due to a delivery driver asking if you`ll take a package for next door or those flaming double glazing salesmen and you just cannot catch up! I even pinned notes on the door,.... do not disturb,..... and they still knocked on,..... and almost got knocked out! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Steve,... some interesting stuff there,...... the photo showing the RB-34 with its nose guns still fitted  again appears to be in the factory applied  RAF camouflage,.... which is what most of them wore in USAAF service before being re distributed to the RAAF, RCAF, SAAF,.. which received the majority in these colours So by the law of averages the RNZAF most likely did receive at least someof their RB-34`s in the RAF colours which were applied at the factory?

I did think that the North Africa statement was wrong,....... it is well known that the RB-34`s had been serving with the USAAF in a training role having been impressed from British orders. Two RAF Ventura Mk.II`s did serve in Tunisia in a special duties role and many Ventura`s,.... including the ex USAAF RB-34`s did serve in South Africa....... but an RB-34 flying to Africa and then being sent to NZ just doesn`t sound right at all.   

Thanks Chris,.... yeah I know what you mean about nights,.... lose sleep due to a delivery driver asking if you`ll take a package for next door or those flaming double glazing salesmen and you just cannot catch up! I even pinned notes on the door,.... do not disturb,..... and they still knocked on,..... and almost got knocked out! 

Yep, or the phone rings!!!

I was on earlies and was sound asleep and SWMBO must have kicked me in her sleep, I got up to get ready for work and my eyes were stinging a bit, had a shower and put the kettle on then looked at the clock and it was 0030 hrs!!!   No wonder my eyes were stinging i didn't need to be up until five!!!   Had to get doughnuts when I told them at work too.  

Chris

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

lose sleep due to a delivery driver asking if you`ll take a package for next door or those flaming double glazing salesmen and you just cannot catch up! I even pinned notes on the door,.... do not disturb,..... and they still knocked on,..... and almost got knocked out! 

One advantage of being deaf in one ear, I can put the good(ish) ear on the pillow & I don't hear a thing, it's a bit hot today to get much sleep past early arvo, but last night tonight, I'll cope. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not an update as such,.... but as we were discussing Kiwi B-34`s,..... I thought I would add a pic of a Kiwi B-34 model that I made well over 20 years ago,...... I painted it in the Olive Drab and Neutral Grey scheme but I`m still unsure about it,.... I can see traces of the RAF style pattern on the real aircraft from a wartime photo, see below,..... but could this be just showing through a coat of Olive Drab,.... who knows? It certainly matches the RAF demarcation lines;

Anyway here it is,..... the roundels are too light too and when/if I know more I`ll have a go at refurbishing this oldie;

DSCF5761.jpg

Another Academy 1/72nd Ventura,.... a later PV-1 version,... showing another scheme applied in New Zealand,.... this one is meant to look faded; 

DSCF0937.jpg

DSCF0941.jpg

And then there is the well known tri colour US Navy scheme most associated with Kiwi Ventura`s ,.... applied to this 1/48th Monogram/Revell kit;

Ventura-RNZAF-48th.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10

On 3/3/2021 at 11:56 PM, tonyot said:

Not an update as such,.... but as we were discussing Kiwi B-34`s,..... I thought I would add a pic of a Kiwi B-34 model that I made well over 20 years ago,...... I painted it in the Olive Drab and Neutral Grey scheme but I`m still unsure about it,.... I can see traces of the RAF style pattern on the real aircraft from a wartime photo, see below,..... but could this be just showing through a coat of Olive Drab,.... who knows? It certainly matches the RAF demarcation lines;

Anyway here it is,..... the roundels are too light too and when/if I know more I`ll have a go at refurbishing this oldie;

DSCF5761.jpg

Another Academy 1/72nd Ventura,.... a later PV-1 version,... showing another scheme applied in New Zealand,.... this one is meant to look faded; 

DSCF0937.jpg

DSCF0941.jpg

And then there is the well known tri colour US Navy scheme most associated with Kiwi Ventura`s ,.... applied to this 1/48th Monogram/Revell kit;

Ventura-RNZAF-48th.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Any progress on these? Beautiful models as usual Tony.

I hope you realise you're costing me money as I didn't have an example of a Ventura amongst my WW2 Bomber/Coastal Command types to build.

I've now tracked down a Minicraft Mk.II and a PV-1 for a RNZAF aircraft, along with the 'DK Decals' RAF and Commonwealth set. So much for not buying so many models this year!

Davey.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaveyGair said:

Any progress on these? Beautiful models as usual Tony.

I hope you realise you're costing me money as I didn't have an example of a Ventura amongst my WW2 Bomber/Coastal Command types to build.

I've now tracked down a Minicraft Mk.II and a PV-1 for a RNZAF aircraft, along with the 'DK Decals' RAF and Commonwealth set. So much for not buying so many models this year!

Davey.

Ooops,..... sorry Davey!! I`ll be doing a bit more on them shortly,..... I got a bit sidelined starting the Dakota and and the 2nd Catalina,..... not to mention the Beauforts,..... plus I`m going through a rough patch with the back which cuts down my modelling time too,...... I`ll get there,..... don`t worry,..... just pacing myself!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Ooops,..... sorry Davey!! I`ll be doing a bit more on them shortly,..... I got a bit sidelined starting the Dakota and and the 2nd Catalina,..... not to mention the Beauforts,..... plus I`m going through a rough patch with the back which cuts down my modelling time too,...... I`ll get there,..... don`t worry,..... just pacing myself!

Sorry to hear about more problems with your back, pacing yourself is good!  Had health problems myself the past 15 months so can understand completely, although I've done more modelling in the same period than I've done since i got back into it a few years ago!

Davey.

• Like 1

A bit of an update,..... thanks to Chris https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/457-bigbadbadge/ for sending me another RAF Mk.I/II style canopy,..... I`ve fitted one to each model and cracked on with the painting too,..... a few more coats of Dark Green are needed yet;

DSCF0160.jpg

Upon reflection I have altered the camouflage patterns slightly after viewing more reference photos;

DSCF0161.jpg

DSCF0162.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

On 3/16/2021 at 3:50 PM, DaveyGair said:

Sorry to hear about more problems with your back, pacing yourself is good!  Had health problems myself the past 15 months so can understand completely, although I've done more modelling in the same period than I've done since i got back into it a few years ago!

Davey.

A bit more progress now mate! 

• Like 1

Looking good so far. I wonder what's happened to these moulds, you can hardly find one for love nor money? I paid a canny price for the RAF Mk.II (could have paid a lot more!) but got the PV-1 for a good price. It's the same with their B-24's.

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Looking good so far. I wonder what's happened to these moulds, you can hardly find one for love nor money? I paid a canny price for the RAF Mk.II (could have paid a lot more!) but got the PV-1 for a good price. It's the same with their B-24's.

Interesting. When I picked up these kits for Tony, there were stacks of them in the local discount "dollar store" here in Rochester NY. Even with the price of shipping them over to the UK, I believe they ended up being much cheaper than the price in the UK. Tony could fill in more on that. Now this was several years ago, and Minicraft or their distributors were dumping the kits to dollar stores. Must not have been a big seller?

Cheers,

Bill

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Interesting. When I picked up these kits for Tony, there were stacks of them in the local discount "dollar store" here in Rochester NY. Even with the price of shipping them over to the UK, I believe they ended up being much cheaper than the price in the UK. Tony could fill in more on that. Now this was several years ago, and Minicraft or their distributors were dumping the kits to dollar stores. Must not have been a big seller?

Cheers,

Bill

I think that it was more like Minicraft had the creditors in to be fair Bill. It almost seemed as if the factory had been cleared out and that the kits were being banged out at silly high prices in newer boxes,...... they were going for over £40 per kit in the UK in these final Ventura boxings,...(and they were all the clear nosed, Martin turret variant mouldings,..... even for boxings which were solely depicting a solid nosed PV-1........ but when that failed  the kits must have been remaindered out to dollar stores to recover some money?  The mouldings are also very rough compared to the standard Minicraft kits,.... with much softer plastic too,...... the clear parts are quite rough too.  Quit sad really,..... but I was very,... very grateful to receive your very kind present in the post!   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

:goodjob:

Davey.

They show up quite often on flea bay mate,...... although I have to admit to having a few snaffled away after picking them up at between £5-10 as I saw the  writing was on the wall and that they might start to become scarce. I cannot see anybody else doing a 1/72nd Ventura,.... not as a mainstrem kit anyway,....... sombody like Special Hobby could probably do a good job adding one to their range of Lockheed twins,..... but just make it easier to build than the Lodetar or Hudson! They did a PV-2 Harpoon,.... but I have not built one ,.... yet!  

A bit more of an update,...... masking off the undersides,.... a bit of detail and rectification paintwork and then the models were given a coat of Humbrol 35 enamel gloss varnish,.... ready for the decals. The Aussie aircraft has had its de icer boots removed,.... but the Canadian based aircraft,.... from the RAF`s 34 OTU  based at RCAF Pennfield Ridge still has these fitted.

DSCF0178.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2