1/72nd Special Hobby Lodestar - 41 Sqn RNZAF, S. Pacific 1944 ****FINISHED***

Hiya Folks,.... I`ll throw this into the ring too,..... hope you don`t mind but I had previously painted the interior before slinging it back in the box! The kit is based on the scary Hudson kit and utilises many of the same parts including the wings and engines, undercarriage, tail etc,..... and anybody who has built this kit will know what that means! The characteristic increased wing area of the Lodestar,.... as used by the Ventura too,.... is represented in this kit by an etched brass part,.... so we`ll see how that works out too! 

I`ve decided to built the Lodestar on the box art,.... NZ3510,.... from 41 Sqn RNZAF which was used throughout the South Pacific on VIP duties, its claim to fame came on 2nd September 1945 when it carried Air Vice-Marshal Sir Leonard Isitt, Chief of Air Staff, RNZAF, to sign the Japanese War surrender document aboard the battleship USS ‘Missouri in Tokyo Bay on behalf of the New Zealand Government.  AVM Isitt planned to fly to Japan aboard Lodestar NZ3510 but apparently the United States authorities blocked the entry of his aircraft, so he landed in Okinawa and travelled by US destroyer to Japan instead. After the ceremony the US authorities relented (or maybe they didn`t have a destroyer to take him back?) and NZ3510 was allowed to fly into Tokyo to collect Isitt and in the process became the first RNZAF aircraft to visit Japan. For this sortie it is believed to have worn RAF style C Type national markings rather than its wartime RNZAF markings,.... as seen here,.... after conveying another Kiwi VIP from New Zealand to Iwakuni in Japan, which became the main base of the Commonwealth Air Occupation Forces;

lodestar-iwakuni-japan-rnzaf.jpg

Here is the aircraft wearing its wartime Kiwi roundels;,.... (modelling wise,...that super shiny polished natural metal finish may be beyond me and I might wish I`d gone for my original transport choice?);

loadstar.jpg

Another view of the nose and undercarriage;

Lodestar.jpg

Onto the model,......  here is the lovely box art;

DSCF9732-NEW.jpg

Here is the box with the kit parts,...... mostly painted on the sprues,.... but I will be painting the interior again when I find out the true colours of th VIP variant,... as I was originally going to just build it as a troop and cargo transport;

DSCF9733.jpg

Here are the kit decals and the etched brass fret,.... showing the extra wing area,..... that should be interesting to carry out eh? Those wartime RNZAF roundels don`t appear to match the photo of the real thing,... which could be a problem unless it wore differing styles,... and the colour of the blue appears too light as is often the case with kit decals? 

DSCF9736.jpg

I started construction with the tail this afternoon,.... all of the parts required sanding flat like vacuformed parts before joining them!

DSCF9734.jpg

And tonight after a nice Chilli Con Carne for tea I settled down to more construction,..... again the wings need to be sanded like a vacuform as the making edges are too thick otherwise. The floor of the cabin area and the cockpit also needed to be trimmed and the fuselage appears to be warped as the nose section splays open, so tape will be needed to keep it all together when the fuselage halves are joined;

DSCF9738.jpg

Tonight I`m going to have a look on line and see it I can find anything about the VIP interior,.. or pasenger interiors for Lodestar`s in general,

So cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 14

8 hours ago, tonyot said:

AVM Isitt planned to fly to Japan aboard Lodestar NZ3510 but apparently the United States authorities blocked the entry of his aircraft, so he landed in Okinawa and travelled by US destroyer to Japan instead. After the ceremony the US authorities relented (or maybe they didn`t have a destroyer to take him back?) and NZ3510 was allowed to fly into Tokyo to collect Isitt and in the process became the first RNZAF aircraft to visit Japan. For this sortie it is believed to have worn RAF style C Type national markings rather than its wartime RNZAF markings,.... as seen here,.... after conveying another Kiwi VIP from New Zealand to Iwakuni in Japan, which became the main base of the Commonwealth Air Occupation Forces;

Here is the aircraft wearing its wartime Kiwi roundels;,.... (modelling wise,...that super shiny polished natural metal finish may be beyond me and I might wish I`d gone for my original transport choice?);

Those wartime RNZAF roundels don`t appear to match the photo of the real thing,... which could be a problem unless it wore differing styles,... and the colour of the blue appears too light as is often the case with kit decals? 

Hi Tony

Nice Choice of Aircraft - one of my favourites 👍

There are a number of reasons AVM Isitt and staff would have not been able to fly into Tokyo and with

Blue/White/Red Roundels on NZ3510

September 2 was only two weeks or so after cessation of hostilities - The RNZAF Pacific Roundel was the

agreed recognition choice between New Zealand and its Pacific Theatre Allies (especially The US).

During the war a number of RNZAF Pilots had been on the receiving end of a hail of bullets from Allied

pilots whose aircraft recognition was not so great.

Put an All Silver Aircraft with Green Flashes and a Red Meat ball into the mix, with war wary pilots then

you're just asking for an International incident - reporting that Allied Pilots had shot down the

New Zealand Official Signatory.......... not a good look. :confused:

I would stick with The RNZAF Pacific Dark Blue Roundel for Roundel colours - The original SH depiction would have had yellow

surrounds on the wings too...

The photo above with NZ3510 at Iwakuni would have been sometime between 1946-48,

even then RNZAF 41 Squadron Aircraft wore a mix of Post War and WWII Pacific Roundels

such as these 41 Sqn Dakotas who made deliveries to Iwakuni during that period

DWNZ3547b.t5d7ea10e.m800.x9TSd_B-Z.jpg

DWNZ3547c.t5d7ea10e.m800.xpI-_nQJ5.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - used with Permissions)

Best of luck with your build

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Tony

Nice Choice of Aircraft - one of my favourites 👍

There are a number of reasons AVM Isitt and staff would have not been able to fly into Tokyo and with

Blue/White/Red Roundels on NZ3510

September 2 was only two weeks or so after cessation of hostilities - The RNZAF Pacific Roundel was the

agreed recognition choice between New Zealand and its Pacific Theatre Allies (especially The US).

During the war a number of RNZAF Pilots had been on the receiving end of a hail of bullets from Allied

pilots whose aircraft recognition was not so great.

Put an All Silver Aircraft with Green Flashes and a Red Meat ball into the mix, with war wary pilots then

you're just asking for an International incident - reporting that Allied Pilots had shot down the

New Zealand Official Signatory.......... not a good look. :confused:

I would stick with The RNZAF Pacific Dark Blue Roundel for Roundel colours - The original SH depiction would have had yellow

surrounds on the wings too...

The photo above with NZ3510 at Iwakuni would have been sometime between 1946-48,

even then RNZAF 41 Squadron Aircraft wore a mix of Post War and WWII Pacific Roundels

such as these 41 Sqn Dakotas who made deliveries to Iwakuni during that period

DWNZ3547b.t5d7ea10e.m800.x9TSd_B-Z.jpg

DWNZ3547c.t5d7ea10e.m800.xpI-_nQJ5.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - used with Permissions)

Best of luck with your build

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan,..... I wondered when you would be along mate!

Yeah I understand exactly why he wasn`t allowed to fly into Tokyo,....  probably didn`t express it as well as I intended,..... and it does make sense to sail into Tokyo Bay to join the Missouri instead, what with a confused system ashore, the fact that there was still a war on, and as you say,... the change of markings,.... if indeed the markings had already been changed by then? I`m well aware of the American shoot first and ask questions later if the `target' isn`t wearing US markings and during WW2 it was definitely a `red rag to a bull' if red was visible at all!  I also know that the roundels had been changed by the time that the Commonwealth Occupation Force had been established and that the Lodestar was a regular visitor by then,... but at the time of the surrender,.... I`m not overly convinced to be fair? That is unless Isett specifically wished to arrive with what he may have seen as the `proper' RNZAF roundels in place?

Funnily enough I had been looking at the Kiwi Dakota`s and their continued use of the wartime roundels alongside others with post war markings,..... however I was unaware that N3547 in the photos that you posted wore a mixture,..... now that is interesting. I have at least one Kiwi Dakota planned and this may have bumped up the list! What a shame we cannot see the markings on the wing on the lower photo just to be fully certain that it wore mixed markings at the same time.  

Hopefully I can find some suitable RNZAF wartime roundels in my spares box for the Lodestar,..... I have seen a picture of the aircraft with a roundel style similar to those provided in the kit ( but darker, ie RNZAF Pacific Dark Blue),....,.... as well as the one that I posted where the markings are slightly different, with a smaller central `dot' in the fuselage roundel and larger `dots' on the wings.  I would have a go at filling them in by hand brushing them,..... but although I could maybe get away with that on an operational aircraft,.... definitely not on an ultra goochi VIP machine!!

Thanks again mate and all the best,

Tony  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Another fine choice Tony. 

Cheers CC,.... we`ll see eh?

13 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great to have you with us Tony and as it's not a kit I'm familiar with, it will be great to see this one built.

Good luck

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat,..... it is based on the old SH Hudson,... so it is bound to be sporting to say the least,..... I may end up having to go for an alternative scheme yet? 

Here are the wings together,.... with the front of the nacelles in place,..... these parts are not very good,.... I`ve sanded the mating surfaces flat to reduce them in size and to remove flash,.... but they will still need some filler and quite a bit of sanding;

DSCF9744.jpg

DSCF9745.jpg

The wings still need to have their etched brass trailing edges fitted yet,.... after the main parts are sanded and cleared up. 

Here is a better view of the fuselage too with the basic interior in place,..... as you cannot see anything through the windows I may just leave it blank without seats,..... I`m not sure? I could possibly add some of the VIP style passenger seats and add curtains to the windows and then try to fit the plastic windows,..... OR,.... leave it as it is and use Clearfix for the windows at the end. I shall decide tonight!

DSCF9746.jpg

Cheers

Tony  

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7

Well this one progressed a bit overnight,......

The fuselage halves were joined and the wings and tailplane attached,..... and the engine nacelles were assembled. Unfortunately when I opened the bag conatining the clear parts I found the canopy had a large crack down the roof ;

DSCF9767.jpg

DSCF9769.jpg

The crack in the canopy was glued and left overnight,.... test fitting proved that it was a poor fit too and would need some help to fair it into the fuselage! This morning the pilots sets were removed, the leather cushions were painted and the kits etched brass straps were added. Seen here are also the etched brass wing trailing edge extensions,..... which should prove quite sporting!  DSCF9774.jpg

DSCF9775.jpg

Cheers

Tony   

• Like 8

Hiya Folks,

Got a bit more done on this last night and today,..... lots and lots and lots of sanding and filling!  The canopy was fitted too and plastic card wedges placed behind to close the gap;

DSCF9776.jpg

DSCF9777.jpg

DSCF9778.jpg

Just like the SH Hudson,.... this kit is proving to be `sporting' to say the least! It fits where it touches!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Aidrian said:

What an interesting subject...it's got me thinking about how I might make one i 1/4" scale using the Revall Ventura as a donor

Thanks mate,.... I`ve seen one done on line from the Ventura kit,..... there is a lot of work involved,...... new engines and nacelles for a start! 

https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/26899/1-48-lodestar-revell-ventura

There were some transport Ventura`s,.... which may be an easier project,.... I intend on doing an RAF one.

Edited by tonyot

Well after yet another marathon sanding session it is finally here,.... the long dreaded time to fix the etched brass trailing edge wing extension! The trailing edge was first of all straightened by sanding it and the section of the wing root where it meets the fuselage had to be cut away and sanded smooth too! Then super glue was used to attached the etched part;

DSCF9787-NEW.jpg

Despite being sealed to keep dust out of the cockpit,.... a section of the Clearfix adhesive dropped down across one of the cockpit side windows,.... so having sanded the canopy flush with the fuselage, it had to be prised open and the section of adhesive removed with tweezers. The canopy was then re sealed again, The engine nacelles have had lots of sanding to try to make them appear flush too

DSCF9789-NEW.jpg

Fudge the dog has been behind me on the back of the settee watching on, while also barking at anybody who has the temerity to walk by outside!;

DSCF9784-NEW.jpg

Unfortunately while sanding the etched brass it keeps catching and bending,.... arghh!

DSCF9790-NEW.jpg

DSCF9792-NEW.jpg

So it is a case of straightening it and re attaching it,.... then more sanding!!

DSCF9788-NEW.jpg

We`ll get there,.... it is just taking time and it might end up being a standard transport wearing camouflage yet?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 8

Wow! You're cracking on with this one marra, I think I would have just used the etch as templates and done the wing extensions in plasticard.  Is there not supposed to be an astrodome in the roof as in the photo of the real aircraft?

I've built SH's Hudson and share your pain. I promised myself that since  I had one in the collection I didn't need another then promptly bought Italeri's III/IV boxing 🙄 !!

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Wow! You're cracking on with this one marra, I think I would have just used the etch as templates and done the wing extensions in plasticard.  Is there not supposed to be an astrodome in the roof as in the photo of the real aircraft?

I've built SH's Hudson and share your pain. I promised myself that since  I had one in the collection I didn't need another then promptly bought Italeri's III/IV boxing 🙄 !!

:goodjob:

Davey.

Good idea re the plastic card,.... and good spot re the astrodome mate,.... the kit doesn`t include one,.... if I don`t have one in the spares box then that is another reason for me to ditch the silver scheme and go camo,... as a RNZAF or RAAF standard transport? I`m not sure if the amount of sanding will show up under a coat of silver either,.... and I`ll never get it as shiny as the real polished up VIP aircraft. I had intended building three of these,.... a Kiwi,.... a desert camo RAF one and a TSS BOAC one,.... but it is a bloody nightmare to build!! 

• Sad 1

I go away for three days & you've darn nearly build this thing, which sounds as though that may be an appropriate term for it. Sadly I've got one of these things in stock too to do a shiny NZNAC one, it doesn't sound like something I should look forward too. :( The tips along the way are most welcome though. :) 

Steve.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I go away for three days & you've darn nearly build this thing, which sounds as though that may be an appropriate term for it. Sadly I've got one of these things in stock too to do a shiny NZNAC one, it doesn't sound like something I should look forward too. :( The tips along the way are most welcome though. :) 

Steve.

Thanks Steve,.... yeah it is proving to be a bit of a bind for sure,..... such a shame as I really like the Lodestar/ Hudson family and there are so many that I want to build.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Steve.

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Steve,.... yeah it is proving to be a bit of a bind for sure,..... such a shame as I really like the Lodestar/ Hudson family and there are so many that I want to build.  

The only thing I found difficult, after getting the separate nose halves to line up and blend in with the fuselage when doing the Hudson, was the engine cowlings have absolutely no positive location points, you just have to line up and glue the things on by eye. I used a bit of plasticard packing to stop them from going too far back, using drawings and photo's to get them somewhere near!

Davey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tony. I did a batch of Lockheed Twins last year including this one, and I have to say you are getting a lot more grief from the kit than I did. 

I recall there was a requirement for a 1mm shim on the front seam in front of the windscreen, but apart from that the build was fairly trouble free. So don't give up on the product, this might be just a dodgy example. 

Must admit I opted for plastic trailing edge extensions and the brass is in the spares box. But I deployed the flaps so I had a bit more remaking to do there anyway with rails etc. 

In the end MPM have done it right. A lot of kits have the flaps underneath extended too, to match the top of the wing which, I'm of the opinion, is wrong. 

On 07/02/2021 at 20:44, Aidrian said:

What an interesting subject...it's got me thinking about how I might make one i 1/4" scale using the Revall Ventura as a donor

Yes, very doable if you like a bit of hard-core plastic bashing. The nacelles, cowlings and engines are probably the main hurdle, the door and panel lines and your windows, and that tail end bump. Two of us shared a set of resin engines from a B17. But it's a great kit to work with. 

Good luck with this one..... I'd like to see how it goes for you 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Hi Tony. I did a batch of Lockheed Twins last year including this one, and I have to say you are getting a lot more grief from the kit than I did. 

I recall there was a requirement for a 1mm shim on the front seam in front of the windscreen, but apart from that the build was fairly trouble free. So don't give up on the product, this might be just a dodgy example. 

Must admit I opted for plastic trailing edge extensions and the brass is in the spares box. But I deployed the flaps so I had a bit more remaking to do there anyway with rails etc. 

In the end MPM have done it right. A lot of kits have the flaps underneath extended too, to match the top of the wing which, I'm of the opinion, is wrong. 

Yes, very doable if you like a bit of hard-core plastic bashing. The nacelles, cowlings and engines are probably the main hurdle, the door and panel lines and your windows, and that tail end bump. Two of us shared a set of resin engines from a B17. But it's a great kit to work with. 

Good luck with this one..... I'd like to see how it goes for you 👍

Hiya Rob,.... not often you come across a masochist on BM LOL!! To be fair until the wing trailing edges I was finding this one easier than a Hudson,..... but the brass is now wafer thin through sanding and I may have to give in and use plastic card instead,...... although I only have very thin plastic card in at the moment. It won`t beat me,.... but I dont think I`ll be building this one in the silver scheme.

Cheers

Tony 

• Haha 1

Ah go on, go on, go on.... 

A Silver Lodestar is a joy to behold. 

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2Fed%2F55%2F85%2Fed5585c70c3a7705ceb4efbfdb5edadf.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F129337820527302108%2F&tbnid=Ju8yB9frfr68vM&vet=1&docid=oM66B42s2k9MKM&w=625&h=355&itg=1&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

and I may have to give in and use plastic card instead,....

Just going from memory, and bear in mind I didn't go this way due to the deployed flaps, but aren't you supposed to fix the little rail ends onto the "Hudson" wing te and then fasten the brass on top of these? 

You could still do that and use the thin styrene, I guess. 

You're not a yoghurt fan by any chance?? The reason I ask is that Muller Corner twin pots are styrene and a useful source of plastic that works for us. Being vac formed there are thick parts, flat parts and thin walls and some useful curves! 

Tasty too..... 

Masochistic modelling.....!? I have my moments of madcap ideas, but then we're all "challenging" ourselves around here. 🤪🤩🥳

In fact, I had the brainwave while doing the Lodestar, to forget about the Wright Cyclones and use the P&W twin Wasp engines that are supplied on the sprues, marked "do not use". This involved remodeling the cowlings by turning them like on a lathe and adding the cooling flaps. How's that for self-flagellation....? 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Add link
  • Haha 1

I checked to see if we were nearly out of butter to nick that packaging,.... but it was too full,.... I often nick the plastic packaging but don`t have any at the moment. Yes I know that the flap runners run underneath the brass parts,.... but I just knew I`d knock them off while sanding and was going to add them later. Dropping the flaps on this model sound like hell to me,..... so hats off to you mate.

Cheers

Tony  

Hiya,.... me again,..... more hours of sanding,..... just for a change! I finally gave up on the brass after it snapped and became wafer thin due to sanding;

DSCF9842.jpg

DSCF9843.jpg

So,.... I made replacement plastic items, despite only having quite thin plastic sheet,..... fitted then and then applied filler;

DSCF9846.jpg

DSCF9847.jpg

I`ve decided not to make the silver VIP transport,...... if it wasn`t a GB I would probably opt for a desert based RAF aircraft or a BOAC aircraft,..... but a RNZAF Olive Drab and Neutral Grey undersides,.... although it is believed that they were later repainted with Dark Green uppers later in the war?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry to hear about all the P/E issue’s Tony. The plastic should work better, have you tried using Milliput or PPP and wiping it smooth with water so it doesn't leave sanding marks. 

No worries mate,.... I`ll get there,...... never heard of that fix,....I may give it a try,.... cheers. I`ve been polishing it with finer grades but there are some deep scratches in hard to each places. 

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,...... another update;

I toyed with replacing the engines with some from the spares box from an Airfix Hudson,.... and also sanded down the blades on a set of old Aeroclub propellers;

DSCF9849-NEW.jpg

But the Airfix engines didn`t look right,.... so I chose the kit engines. While watching the Rugby 6 Nations today I added the air intakes to the engine cowling, plus to the nacelle, along with the exhausts. I also added the flap runners to the wings, under the plastic card wing extensions,..... thanks for the heads up lads into using plastic rather than those awful brass things!

DSCF9856-NEW.jpg

DSCF9857-NEW.jpg

I also added the undercarriage legs;

DSCF9858-NEW.jpg

So it looks like this now,..... I`ve found a suitable astrodome to use in the spares box,.... and the kit props are included in the picture tooalong with the wheels which have been assembled and sanded smooth;

DSCF9859-NEW.jpg

And this is what Fudge thinks,... lying on the settee with her head hanging over the edge!

DSCF9851-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10