Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

3 hours ago, Stef N. said:

No, Darryl was struggling with enthusiasm for building and looks to have hung up his tools. Hopefully just for a while.

Yup… my mojo vanished after one of the group builds. 
The bench got cleaned, and the stash has not been touched since. 
Pretty pathetic, really :D

• Sad 2

52 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Yup… my mojo vanished after one of the group builds. 
The bench got cleaned, and the stash has not been touched since. 
Pretty pathetic, really :D

It's a shame to see talented model makers lose their enthusiasm. I haven't a clue how you go about getting the mojo back but hopefully there's some cure out there.👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Longbow said:

I have no idea... He just up and Runnoft...

Haven't seen @Jasper dog for a while, either...

I was wondering about them as well… shame as I like to see both of their builds on here. 
  maybe they ‘fought til destruction’ in the Memel pocket!! 
  At least your back around Lee, did you ever get those Kharkov figures from that dubious far eastern company? 

Edited by Muchmirth
  • Like 2

By the by did you guys see we have had a rival for quite some time… a Sherman superthread! The sheer audacity of it!!! 
(joking of course just joking .. I actually want to do a British dessert Sherman in the future but have zero idea about them so may have to run over their for some advice.) 

Paul

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

I was wondering about them as well… shame as I like to see both of their builds on here. 
  maybe they ‘fought til destruction’ in the Memel pocket!! 
  At least your back around Lee, did you ever get those Kharkov figures from that dubious far eastern company? 

Lol, I'm amazed you remembered that !!

Yes, the figures came, as orders, and sit languishing in dust, on the bench :D

8 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

By the by did you guys see we have had a rival for quite some time… a Sherman superthread! The sheer audacity of it!!! 
(joking of course just joking .. I actually want to do a British dessert Sherman in the future but have zero idea about them so may have to run over their for some advice.) 

Paul

Shermans.... A total kettle of fish :D

• Haha 1

Hello, I'm tempted by the border initial tiger 1 to do the 100 of spzabt 502 due to it being unique and doing it ina slightly different configuration. I wonder if I can't hide the tracks differences by giving it a big layer of dirt/snow (can't really find cheap mirrored track so far, and it look like the dragon kit has the same issue with the tracks). 

Thanks for your answers!

6 hours ago, aurelien wolff said:

Hello, I'm tempted by the border initial tiger 1 to do the 100 of spzabt 502 due to it being unique and doing it ina slightly different configuration. I wonder if I can't hide the tracks differences by giving it a big layer of dirt/snow (can't really find cheap mirrored track so far, and it look like the dragon kit has the same issue with the tracks). 

Thanks for your answers!

Dragon Kit 6252 looks to have the mirrored track. (Double check.) An old kit but it was classed as one of their best when it came out.

9 hours ago, Longbow said:

Lol, I'm amazed you remembered that !!

Yes, the figures came, as orders, and sit languishing in dust, on the bench :D

Shermans.... A total kettle of fish :D

I remembered those figs cos I still have them marked in my wish list to put with my Kharkov tiger but they got pulled now (must have got found out/copyright etc) Theirs still loads of other options though.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2023 at 21:23, Stef N. said:

It's a shame to see talented model makers lose their enthusiasm. I haven't a clue how you go about getting the mojo back but hopefully there's some cure out there.👍

I think it’s like exercise (I don’t do any now) easy to be obsessive about but equally easy to fall out of. Breaking back is hard only because of our imagination of it. 
 On another side note Stef I saw you are in Hertfordshire and I’m Borehamwood born and bred! 
Paul

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Dragon Kit 6252 looks to have the mirrored track. (Double check.) An old kit but it was classed as one of their best when it came out.

Hello peeps, remember me!  I have just checked my old boxing of 6252 and it does have mirrored tracks, they are labelled on the plans as Y and Z magic track, each one has two deep injector pin marks in each of them, joy of joys. :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

I think it’s like exercise (I don’t do any now) easy to be obsessive about but equally easy to fall out of. Breaking back is hard only because of our imagination of it. 
 On another side note Stef I saw you are in Hertfordshire and I’m Borehamwood born and bred! 
Paul

Were you ever in the cast of Eastenders? 🤪

I don't know Borehamwood that well but I pass it on my way to Hannants and it's always the sign that I am nearly there, which brings joy to the heart but not the wallet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Were you ever in the cast of Eastenders? 🤪

I don't know Borehamwood that well but I pass it on my way to Hannants and it's always the sign that I am nearly there, which brings joy to the heart but not the wallet. 

No never actually in it but seen plenty of it being shot when I was a kid… passing through it the best way!!! Plus having hannants nearish is pretty cool (if a little dangerous).

Their is a model show in elstree annually… I think sprue cutter on here helps with it or at least attends. 

Edited by Muchmirth
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

No never actually in it but seen plenty of it being shot when I was a kid… passing through it the best way!!! Plus having hannants nearish is pretty cool (if a little dangerous).

Their is a model show in elstree annually… I think sprue cutter on here helps with it or at least attends. 

I've been meaning to go to that show for the last few years but covid played havoc with the dates and then I missed out last year too. 👍

5 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hello peeps, remember me!  I have just checked my old boxing of 6252 and it does have mirrored tracks, they are labelled on the plans as Y and Z magic track, each one has two deep injector pin marks in each of them, joy of joys. :facepalm:

There's one going in the For Sale section. I am being very disciplined. I might not last the weekend though.😉

• Like 1

Since I've actually finnished my 2nd kit of the year (thus completing my objective on the number of kit to finnish this year[still more than last year for me]), tomerow I'll start working on my border early tiger whom I'll o as spz abt 505 233, the what if part being its slightly different configuration(mainly the gun mantlet, it doesn't seem we really know wich one it had) and I might do the barbed wire too. If I take the initial one day, I'll do it as 3 from spz abt 502 since it's the one closest from the box content.

This thread will be quite helpful for my build too: https://www.track-link.com/forums/site_blogs/48387

I'll keep working on my meng T90A, my heller soleil royal and maybe my other ongoing project while working on this one

• Like 2

Started it this afternoon with the 1st steps, a seat and a hatch. I find there are odd stuff about the instructions like step 11, or a lack of indication for the interior colors or where to put the accessories. I'm unsure where to place the G29 parts. Had to putty the hull rear a bit due to a crack (unsure where it's from).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Unsure why the corrective sheet say the turret top is G12 when on the sprue it seems to be G2. I think they could've improved it by stating wich steps is corrected.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Hello, here's the advance on my border tiger, I did the hatches, going through the cupola, glued the glacis and front plate. I assembled the engine fans and found border design for sprue B weird because we get 4 engine fans bases (B2/B3) and it look like they inverted A66/A67 in the instruction too. David nickels thread on track link was helpful to build them. I started assembling the loading mechanism but I have issues on where to glue the part and I have to patch the visors too since I glued them before gluying the front plate, since tis could lead to fit issues, I had to unglue them. I test fitted the hull too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

12 hours ago, aurelien wolff said:

I had to get parts for my airbrush and I took the opportunity to get this, I think i'll do it as one of those fehrmann tiger we don't have pics of.

spacer.png

Just started one too. There is little photographic evidence so it is a kit I can have some fun with. A blank canvas near enough.