Your Favourite Box Art...?

Richard E

Ones that stick in my mind for some reason... the Airfix "Eddie Allen" Superfortress (Mr Cross presumably), the Tamiya 1/25 Tiger 1, I had the kit and the box sat on top of my wardrobe where I could just gaze at it ! 

And these two Aurora "Monster" series fellas... 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's all what if box art. The kits that never were. But the artwork is very good indeed.

The Liberator would have been a great idea! Quite an impressive lineup of choices he has made there.

• Like 1

Yeah,the 'What If' box art.X wing and Tie fighter dogfight doubles from Airfix,brilliant.And the monorail from Thunderbirds,a model rail set from Hornby.Mig 31 Firefox also by Airfix,it'd look great in 72nd,48th would be better.Some brilliant 'What If' artwork all round though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

And these two Aurora "Monster" series fellas... 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I remember them. Had the whole set. 8/6d each IIRC. Purchased from Norwood junction models. 

Hideously expensive then but I was really into those old Universal monster films.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Neil.C said:

I remember them. Had the whole set. 8/6d each IIRC. Purchased from Norwood junction models. 

Hideously expensive then but I was really into those old Universal monster films.

I only had Wolfman, and remember having a discussion with my grandpa about what colour to paint the rats.. He favoured something "unearthly" in his words.. 

We were in Croydon so wouldn't have been far from you in Norwood.. 😁

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Like 1

On 08/05/2024 at 13:36, Pig of the Week said:

I only had Wolfman, and remember having a discussion with my grandpa about what colour to paint the rats.. He favoured something "unearthly" in his words.. 

We were in Croydon so wouldn't have been far from you in Norwood.. 😁

Near neighbours!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

You likely got Airfix kits from Woolies in Croydon at some point too I'd think 😁

I got my Airfix fix from Woolies in Norwood. My dear old nan would buy me a kit.

I remember her buying me a  ME110 because it was the same as her door number! 😊

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neil.C said:

I got my Airfix fix from Woolies in Norwood. My dear old nan would buy me a kit.

I remember her buying me a  ME110 because it was the same as her door number! 😊

Used to go to Woolies with my gran too, she'd get her pension on Thursdays, and if I was lucky I might get a 2 bob Airfix kit😁

The Croydon Woolies had a large impressive (to me at the time anyway) display float thing with their Airfix kits on.. 

Our local Woolies had a pick 'n' mix section for individual Airfix 1/32 figures. The officers always ran out of stock first thing on a saturday morning, of course.

11 hours ago, Andy H said:

Our local Woolies had a pick 'n' mix section for individual Airfix 1/32 figures. The officers always ran out of stock first thing on a saturday morning, of course.

My local Woolies had one too. It was in the 'Toys' section though and not part of the 'Airfix' section. The later discovery that these figures could be obtained by the box load came as a stunning revelation!

My favourite box art from that range was the picture adorning the British Commandoes. The chap with the Tommy Gun and Grenade really looked as though he meant business and there was a figure in the set posed in a similar manner. Stirring stuff. . .

• Like 1