Bristol Belnheim Mk I

While technically working from home, there appears to be a bit more time to work on various projects (no travel time etc 😉 )

So I've started the Airfix 1/48 Blenheim. Loads of detail in the cockpit and fuselage (shame most of it is invisible when it’s all closed up).

Next its time to move on to the undercarriage. Airfix would have you paint the wheel well and the upper part of the legs aluminium and the lower semi-gloss black.

The black looks right from the photos I have.  I'm wandering about the aluminium?  The restoration at Duxford has theirs interior green (yes, I know resorations are not always correct).  I've not managed to find any photos that would help decide either way.  Anyone have a clue?

Tim

qFxfgNQ.jpg

wZKR4Pl.jpg

opKgXrm.jpg

3boF9Vi.jpg

NjkIGlU.jpg

VGvjcho.jpg

• Like 11

Great work Tim, I've got one on the workbench too. Mine came with a set of Eduard PE for the cockpit, and I am in two minds if it's worth the effort to fit it all. After seeing how well you've picked out the details on the kit cockpit, I don't think it is!  (Maybe I should put it in, just for comparison purposes!)

I've just purchased the Chaz Bowyer book on the Blenhiem. If you don't have it I'll have a look through and share any undercarriage images I think will help you.

Edited by Quiet Mike
  • Like 1

Hopefully this facebook link will work Tim. I think it's fairly well known and you'll probably already have seen it, but some great shots of Blenheims in the field. I don't think it answers your question on the wheel well colour though. (I'm following the instructions on mine and making them aluminium)

• Like 3

On 4/13/2020 at 8:01 PM, Quiet Mike said:
Hopefully this facebook link will work Tim. I think it's fairly well known and you'll probably already have seen it, but some great shots of Blenheims in the field. I don't think it answers your question on the wheel well colour though. (I'm following the instructions on mine and making them aluminium)

Thanks, I'll have a browse. I went aluminium in the end too

Tim

Bristol engines were painted black overall. I know that doesn't look all that great, especially on a scale model. Might I suggest a darker colour for the cylinders?

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.158797882.1492235

Chris

8 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Bristol engines were painted black overall. I know that doesn't look all that great, especially on a scale model. Might I suggest a darker colour for the cylinders?

Chris

They will look darker once the cowlings are on, but "naked" engines look lighter (well those I've seen on google)  -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Mercury#/media/File:Bristol_Mercury_RAFM.JPG

Agreed, some oil and dirt will be needed

Tim

The bolts on the Blenheim engines are usually brighter steel and picking these out can be a nice detail.

Even in 1/144 as seen below they contrast quite strongly.  When viewed inside the cowling they gleam like spider's eyes.

Fishbed your build is looking brilliant and the detailed pictures are a godsend!

dDI8TLg.jpg

moving on a bit.  I've darkened the cylinders up a bit in line with some of the photos.  The question is do I go overboard and try and add the support struts that each of the three connections to the cowling had (you can see them in post 11 above).  Now I know they are there I feel I ought to add them.  But can I be bothered?

The wings halves are together now.  Needed a bit of clamping to hold it all together while the glue dried. The soft plastic meant that the wing tips (where I had a bulldog clip) ended up with a bit of damage where the glue softened the plastic too much.  Hence the damage repair.

Tim

w4hJq2U.jpg

mxHOekI.jpg

• Like 3

If you have a chance, get a pack of clamps like this. I bought these in the kitchen section of a local hardware store. They weren't expensive and you get a crapload of them. The tips are soft.

49785499751_315de8f609_b.jpg

I also have a bunch of these. They have a stronger spring with a bit more clamping power. I superglued some thin rubber gasket material to the clamping surfaces, to give a bit more grip on curved surfaces.

40577932253_a1bf65416d_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fishbed said:

moving on a bit.  I've darkened the cylinders up a bit in line with some of the photos.  The question is do I go overboard and try and add the support struts that each of the three connections to the cowling had (you can see them in post 11 above).  Now I know they are there I feel I ought to add them.  But can I be bothered?

w4hJq2U.jpg

I think deep down you know the answer Tim. If you are worrying about the struts now, it will only carry on nagging at you and you will never be truly happy with your model. Go on, sort it out now, you know you want to.

Martian Sapiens 👽

On 4/17/2020 at 7:55 PM, Martian Hale said:

I think deep down you know the answer Tim. If you are worrying about the struts now, it will only carry on nagging at you and you will never be truly happy with your model. Go on, sort it out now, you know you want to.

Martian Sapiens 👽

OK, I did.

c5WrmsS.jpg

Tim

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

how time flys.  A bit of an update.  The clear glazing for this aircraft is quite substantial.  Normally it would be out with the masking tape to mask off all that clear expanse. In this case I baught the Eduard masking set.  As it turned out the one I ended up with had the the masks for the inside of the glazing as well.  So I had to do it twice!  What fun.  

nYReZj6.jpg

NPVjcnb.jpg

The inside parts are now interior green.  I need to purchase some non fogging superglue to help get these into place without them moving.  PVA/Kristal clear will take to long to dry.

The engines are about done now.  One question, the two intakes in each engine seem to vary in shade in various photos (see above).  Airfix would have you do them black.  I'm leaning towards a dull natural metal.  Anyone know for definate?

1sfQxpW.jpg

iYk2NBt.jpg

Tim

• Like 4

Nice work Tim. I will be looking a some sort of metallic shade when I come to build my kit.

Martian 👽

1 hour ago, Fishbed said:

The engines are about done now.  One question, the two intakes in each engine seem to vary in shade in various photos (see above).  Airfix would have you do them black.  I'm leaning towards a dull natural metal.  Anyone know for definate?

I don't know. What about this?

49830499377_7ff44c27cf_b.jpg

49830191996_1cff17ea3f_b.jpg

49830499457_b06f0a150b_b.jpg

49830499487_80720abcb6_b.jpg

49829660553_b234e8f4ce_b.jpg

There are stills taken from a video that was posted here in January, last year.

Chris

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

There are stills taken from a video that was posted here in January, last year.

Chris

Ok, so let’s add interior green to the list 🙂

thanks for those

Tim

• Like 1

Bear in mind that's a Mk IV, so the colour might have changed compared to the Mk I which incidentally did not have the flared intakes seen in the photos.  The images which I have access to show them as straight tubes of a light metal colour in the MK I.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, great photos.

I like the Blenheim on this page - http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=14429&start=240&finish=15&printertopic=1

Interesting it has a towel rail aerial under the fuselage,  camouflage wraps round over leading edge (unless de-icing?),  a lamp under the nose (above second gun trough from the left)?

Tim