Hello from Kent

Kitkent

Hi everyone,another one here who has been lurking for a couple of years- and I think I check in everyday so thought I should now join. I'm a car modeller first, 90% is 1/43 scale resin and metal kits since 1981! A few years ago these kits were getting expensive so I looked in Modelzone and i saw an Italeri 1/72 P47N at £8; I thought that's cheap so I now have another stash of 1/72 and 1/144 planes....I started buying resin planes too as injection plastic kits are fairly new to me! My last 1/43 completion was a metal F1 McLaren 1989,a Racing 43 kit and my last 1/72 completion was the Italeri Spitfire MK6 or 7,Spirit of Kent.       Chris. 

• Like 1

Hi Chris, welcome to the mad house.

What part of this illustrious county are you from??

Dick

Evening Chris

If you’re in need of a club, and you live at the east end of Kent, I’m sure Dick will be happy to help you out.  If you’re at the other end, can I interest you in a club?  We plan to have at least one more meeting this year …

Thanks everyone,I think is a friendly place and I hope I can be friendly too! We moved to Gravesend just under two years ago,lived in Orpington for a long time and when I was there I was too lazy to join up but always I thought I would say that i lived between Biggin Hill airfield and Brands Hatch race circuit!  Gravesend actually has 3 model shops,though one is not a general shop it's a called a garden railway shop.

• Like 1

My part of the world, as well.

My parents moved to Kent from North London back in the fifties, and I was raised there until I left to join the RAF in '76.  Brands Hatch is only five miles away and as a youngster I could hear the cars on the track.  I used to cycle there regularly to watch the races.

The first meeting I attended was the 1965 Guards Trophy.  The main event was for Group 7 sports cars such as McLaren-Elvas, Lola T70s, Lotus 30s & 40s.  Big names as drivers.  John Surtees, who won, Bruce McLaren, Jim Clark, Dan Gurney, Graham Hill, etc.  I've always loved "big banger" sports ever since.

I first went to Brands Hatch Boxing Day 1966,I still go now,love sportscar racing first I think. Also went to Crystal Palace circuit for the Formula 2 and 3 races,not forgetting the saloons for course -  Lotus Cortinas Ford Mustangs etc. I missed that Guards meeting unfortunately! Marsh Model cars are the best..

Nice to have somone else from Kent. 

If you go to Brands regularly i really recommend the MSV season pass, £200 and you get into every car event all year :) works really well! It is my favourite place on earth to while away a sunny sunday. As soon as all this gets sorted out i shall be there on south bank.

Simon

Well, I'm no longer in Kent as I now reside in Lincolnshire, but very familiar with your local territory.

Cadwell Park is just up the road from us, another MSV circuit, with a great atmosphere and a track that makes for very good racing.

Cadwell is a far less grand place than Brands.  It is mostly a clubbie racer circuit.  It's a bit like a Brands Hatch but with more elevation changes, and some people call it a mini-Nurburgring.

When the current situation is resolved it is certainly worth a visit.