Meng 1/35 Jagdpanther

Jasper dog

3 minutes ago, SafetyDad said:

I'm thoroughly enjoying your build Darryl. As an aircraft modeller, I have puzzled over possible assembly sequences for Tanks, and your approach has been most informative. I've got a number of AFVs in the stash, but haven't had a go at any of them yet. This thread is very helpful. You mention earlier that you only tacked the roof in place before painting. Are you anticipating removing it or is it permanently fixed now?

Great work on the camouflage as well. Looking forward to seeing this finished!

:like:

SD

Hi SD, glad your enjoying it, good to have you along. I was a dedicated aircraft modeller until I drifted into afvs and now I'm really enjoying been down in the mud and dust.

I tend to build as I did aeroplanes and that's assembly the bulk and paint, adding the smaller details afterwards once painted. Often I leave the wheels off and paint separately or if poss, leave items removable so I can paint in situ and then remove to complete assembly. 

As for the roof,  I was only thinking of that earlier and I can't actually remember why I left it removable. Suspect there might be parts to add once painted and it was easier to leave off and add later than mask and paint....who knows??🤔

TBH you aren't the only one looking forward to seeing it finished!😅🤣

Any further questions feel free, no probs.

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

Considering the time between this and the previous post  you could  have taken the oob route as well. ;)

:winkgrin:🤣

:whistle: I could, but....I did a few links and well to be honest didn't have the enthusiasm for it where as I enjoyed the Fruils..

I know, me bad...

Track burnishing experiment:

spacer.pngspacer.png

After 1hr 15min in burnishing fluid.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Another hour, (2hrs 15min)

spacer.pngspacer.png

Another two hours (4hrs 10min ish) tbh I'd forgotten about it until watching TV last night..

It doesn't look quite so rusty or corroded in real life as the pic suggest btw.

Think the outward face of the link looks ok in the final pair of photos. Work some pigment etc into it, might be passable, get the contact faces looking like contact faces rather than something been in the ground for 70yrs.

Does anyone know, can the burnishing fluid be reused or is it use and discard?

The morning after, with a touch of pigment and run over contact surfaces.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Sat on it's full size cousin, ok not Panther but same period. (Has been in ground for a year or two so rather more corroded than if in use, obvs!)

spacer.png

Hope this lengthy monologue of the tracks hasn't bored you all daft!

Thanks for looking. 

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Soeren said:

At first I thought you bought yourself a Full size reference link :thumbsup:

Thanks, wish I could take some credit for it, just luck really!

I wish it was the real thing btw, they're just a bit too expensive....:blink:

Cheers

It looks fine in those first couple of photos. I've never used a burnishing fluid, so therefore I don't know much about it's use. I still apply a primer, then a black/brown coat and then give it a rub with sand paper. I might try the fluid, once the present unpleasantness is over.

John.

• Thanks 1

Burnishing fluid does degrade, I’ve only managed to get one set out per dose. I found that the UMP Burnishing fluid was the best as each bottle gave you enough for 2 sets of tracks. 

HTH

Dan 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It looks fine in those first couple of photos. I've never used a burnishing fluid, so therefore I don't know much about it's use. I still apply a primer, then a black/brown coat and then give it a rub with sand paper. I might try the fluid, once the present unpleasantness is over.

John.

14 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Burnishing fluid does degrade, I’ve only managed to get one set out per dose. I found that the UMP Burnishing fluid was the best as each bottle gave you enough for 2 sets of tracks. 

HTH

Dan 

Thanks, soon as I get half a chance I'll get them dipped. Quite liked the finished result, (2nd to last pic) nothing against previous techniques tried but nice for a change.

Picked a bottle of the AK fluid up early this year when our local model shop announced its closing down sale.

I'll look into the UMP fluid when I order some more, sure this won't be the last set of Fruils or similar. 

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Determined to get this flipping thing finished even if I have to push it over the line kicking and screaming, it's been sitting around the bench on and off way to long.

Tracks submerged in burnishing fluid for 6hrs (or there abouts), probably too long...

spacer.png

Both burnished, note the green hue on the top track, lower edge.  Bottom track has been treated with pigment, once both pigmented a quick over spray of fixer holds in place.

The green hue mentioned is copper..... apparently it dissolves in burnishing fluid and what are the fruil pins made of... I've replaced several pins when a number of links started to fall apart. They still feel rather delicate. 

Once tracks pigmented and refitted on with fitting tools and associated para fin alia. Also remember why I'd only tacked the roof in situ; there are a number of periscopes I'd left off to facilitate painting. These are now painted and fitted.

Little more weathering done, oil stains on engine deck and from wheel hubs, not terribly obvious. Further weathering maybe done once base decided upon.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yes, I've noticed the o/s drive wheel isn't engaging with the tracks, now fixed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The green copper staining is persistent....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tow cables are wip, along with a little fella to sit in the open hatch.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Darryl 

• Like 11

10 hours ago, M3talpig said:

That needs a diorama :whistle::)

Beautiful work bud .....really does look the part.

Thanks but too kind.

However it does need a base at least, I've an idea, the figures, probably something to mount it on, just needs one final element........:hmmm:..... ability!

Thinking cold, trees, sprinkle of snow....

Cheers 

• Like 1

That looks really good, and I agree a small scene would set it off nicely - somewhere in the Ardennes perhaps?

Roger

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hamden said:

That looks really good, and I agree a small scene would set it off nicely - somewhere in the Ardennes perhaps?

Roger

11 hours ago, Soeren said:

Snowy scenery sounds good :)

Hi, thanks, that's my thinking, winter 44/45, Ardennes, cold, snowy...  

(Might be the idea, no guarantee it'll turn out that way. One thing having the idea another being able to produce it).

11 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Great work Darryl. If I was going to pick anything out, it would be the way that you've weathered the road wheels. First class!

John.

Thanks John, very good of you to say, appreciated. If I remember right, its essentially a liberal application of AKs DAK wash.

Thanks chaps, appreciate the responses and suggestions. 

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for now, done! Installed Herman in the commanders spot and well what can I say about him...Nice figure, Masterbox, dodgy painting, self.

The idea being cold winter in the Ardennes, hence the blanket draped over his shoulders. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hopefully get a base done at some point time permitting.

Don't think the sunny backdrop helps get the feel.

Any suggestions feel free.

Thanks for looking 

Darryl 

Edited by Jasper dog
  • Like 7

Nice one Darryl...nice to see someone's having some luck with there figures stripped mine down to the resin again today ...just not getting the features of the faces right at all...in fact had to walk away from them ......was getting so annoyed i almost hoofed the lot in the bin.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Nice one Darryl...nice to see someone's having some luck with there figures stripped mine down to the resin again today ...just not getting the features of the faces right at all...in fact had to walk away from them ......was getting so annoyed i almost hoofed the lot in the bin.

Thanks but no matter what, i can't do figures. Lots of people have suggested excellent techniques and I still make hash of them. Desperately annoying as they really add to a build. (The JP will require another 3-4 figures if my idea of a base bares fruit...)

I now have a set of cheap oil paints that I'm going to experiment with, see if they work for me next time. (I have another figure on the go to complete the Grant, so I'll keep trying...).

Atb

Darryl 

Darryl, get yourself a set of eyeballs. Archer does a sheet and so does Peddinghaus. When I do mine figures (and I'm no artist), I paint the face with flesh coloured acrylic and then give it a wash with a dark colour. It's not perfect, but there again, the figures are only secondary to the model itself.

John. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Darryl, get yourself a set of eyeballs. Archer does a sheet and so does Peddinghaus. When I do mine figures (and I'm no artist), I paint the face with flesh coloured acrylic and then give it a wash with a dark colour. It's not perfect, but there again, the figures are only secondary to the model itself.

John. 

Steady on John that's a bit harsh, I've only just been given a pair of readers!

Ahhhh. Apologies you ment eyeball decals for the figures...right!

One way or another I'll find a method that works for me, I'll look those decals up anyway. 

Bet you've never seen a cyclops commanding a tank before, one is bound to end up in the forehead! :cyclops:

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Haha 1

Just a word about the Archer Eyeball decals, I bought them and found that they were to big to use on 35th scale figs.

Good idea but just didn't work out, not seen the Peddinghaus version, they might be better?  

• Thanks 1

I have the Archer set and some of them are too big, but some are certainly usable. They do look a little too large when first place on the figures eyes, but once you paint the upper and lower lids, they look the business.

John.

Edit. I'll try and post a photo of a figure that I used them on later. SWMBO is dragging me out to go shopping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Just a word about the Archer Eyeball decals, I bought them and found that they were to big to use on 35th scale figs.

Good idea but just didn't work out, not seen the Peddinghaus version, they might be better?  

Thanks Dan,  just going to have a butchers see what's available, good to know. 

2 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I have the Archer set and some of them are too big, but some are certainly usable. They do look a little too large when first place on the figures eyes, but once you paint the upper and lower lids, they look the business.

John.

Edit. I'll try and post a photo of a figure that I used them on later. SWMBO is dragging me out to go shopping.

Lucky you, an exciting trip to the shops...

Decals first and then paint the lids.?

What next photo etch eye lashes???

Cheers

• Haha 2