Meng 1/35 Jagdpanther

Jasper dog

10 hours ago, Red Five said:

I used a making putty. The I could get some shading in. But the putty was a bit too thick. The camp scheme needed to have thinner yellow lines. But it looked ok in the end so I just went with it. 

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Apologies, I used MIG colours. They were ok but i found they needed to have a VERY VERY good shake otherwise they would seperate and go watery when applied.

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

Incase you are interest the fruil tracks are about £30, The kit tracks very nearly put me off making it as i knew id get in a real mess with them. I kind of think whilst MENG are lovley kits full of detail they overengineer things quite alot, There are processes that i think are totally pointless and fiddly that could esaily have been avoided or missed out.

Hi, I've have the ak camo masking putty, and it's great,  if you need a hard edge. I've done a Jagdtiger with blue tac and that worked out fine for a soft edge, I'd just hoped to avoid the tedium of rolling and applying blue tac worms..

Good pointer re Mig colours, as with Ak and Vallejo I always chuck a bb in the tub before shaking, helps to loosen up some of the pigment at the bottom. 

Quite right about the Meng tracks being off-putting. Does it really need separate guide horns...? I will give them a shot before looking elsewhere but... really!

Thanks for all your input, much appreciated. 

Darryl

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Soeren said:

Considering that AK startet as the "weathering brand" this is a valid statement. There were still some complaints about AK 's colors being iterpretations of the real colors. Maybe that is why they offer a real color line now. But hey, that is perfectly fine , as long as the result meets or expectations.

Hi, I think it should be ok, looking back at a previous build with the same colour it settles down fine, I think for some reason I just had a darker, browner tone in mind.  Dont think the colour in the colour paint guide helps.

At the end of the day, colours change and fade under UV light and with usage, particularly matt ones. 

Thanks

Darryl 

Progress, basic paintwork done, not overly happy but with a bit of touching up and perhaps a unifying filter to blend it all together hopefully it'll look ok.

If my original plan of freehand camo had of worked out it would have been better, as it was had to resort to bluetac worms. If I'd planned on masking I'd have painted it the other way around with the dunklegelb going on last rather than first but.....

It has just been one if those periods where modelling ability, hit and miss best of times, has stormed off in a mood and taken its ball with it!

Anyway enough of excuses, and a display of what not to do..

spacer.png

spacer.png

Quick coat of white and then..

More blue tac to mask over a narrow band of white before some rotbraun. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The moment of truth....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Masking off, hopefully with little a touching up and a "bit" of weathering and perhaps a "bit" more it might look ok-ish.

Keep in mind the markings are for the Ardennes offensive so good excuse for mud and snow, never tried snow on a model..

Thanks for looking, the wip can't be all about great works and successes!

On top of which I was distracted by the lake edging closer and closer to home on Sunday morning whilst trying to paint, most off putting, tends to upset ones stride. 

Thankfully not as bad as some areas as it turned out, best wishes to anyone that was caught by the storm. 

spacer.png

If the water doesn't get you the wind will, it kindly removed a ridge tile last night and deposited it on the bonnet and front panel of the wifes new car, not even a month old!

Sometimes.....

• Like 7

Looking good. Stick some weathering over and a dust of a buff colour and itll look great. I debated that Cano for mine to make an ardennes scene but thought the 45 version would stand more of a chance at being busted and weathered to bits so I could hide mistakes. Looking forward to seeing the finished article. 

In regards to snow look up Krycel (precision snow and ice.) Its excellent stuff. Really easy to use and doesnt discolour. Heres one of mine I used it on. They do a white wash too. Not tried that but seems ok I used it on the wave crests on my omaha dio.

Into the eye of the storm - Hetzer 38t

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Red Five said:

Looking good. Stick some weathering over and a dust of a buff colour and itll look great. I debated that Cano for mine to make an ardennes scene but thought the 45 version would stand more of a chance at being busted and weathered to bits so I could hide mistakes. Looking forward to seeing the finished article. 

In regards to snow look up Krycel (precision snow and ice.) Its excellent stuff. Really easy to use and doesnt discolour. Heres one of mine I used it on. They do a white wash too. Not tried that but seems ok I used it on the wave crests on my omaha dio.

Thanks, my sort of thinking, blend it all together, bit of weathering should look passable. 

Great Hetzer dio, manages to look really cold. Keep saying I'm going to have a go at a small vignette or similar just never quite get around to it. However, every time I see a good one it really enhances the model.

Thanks for the recommendation about Krycel, I'll look it up.

Cheers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Thanks, my sort of thinking, blend it all together, bit of weathering should look passable. 

Great Hetzer dio, manages to look really cold. Keep saying I'm going to have a go at a small vignette or similar just never quite get around to it. However, every time I see a good one it really enhances the model.

Thanks for the recommendation about Krycel, I'll look it up.

Cheers

Yeah I always find adding a few figures and a base gives a little bit of something else and sets context for weathering etc

• Like 1

Wow, that's a distinctive camo'.......I've seen this one recently on another Jagdpanther....nice job on this one...I'm curious, what's the theatre of operations where it was used.

Looking forward to the next steps......

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2020 at 07:30, Red Five said:

Yeah I always find adding a few figures and a base gives a little bit of something else and sets context for weathering etc

Always tried to add a figure or two before calling it finished, never terribly impressive I'm afraid, but gives a sense of scale and as you say context, brings it to life I often feel.

20 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Wow, that's a distinctive camo'.......I've seen this one recently on another Jagdpanther....nice job on this one...I'm curious, what's the theatre of operations where it was used.

Looking forward to the next steps......

Cheers

Simon.

Hi Simon, according to the guide it's from the Ardennes, thought it was the obvious choice to do as it seems quite a unique scheme. 

20 hours ago, Soeren said:

Great job and interpretation of this camp.  Me like it ;)

Thanks chaps, good to have you along and for the encouragement. 

Much appreciated 

Darryl 

22 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

As I said about another model, this is a cammo scheme that I wasn't familiar with......and now here's another example of it. Nice work Darryl.

John.

Thanks John, odd ball/unusual schemes have a certain appeal, nice change from O/D.

Cheers 

Darryl 

22 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Very nice camo paint job indeed!

Rob

Thanks Rob, I'm waiting to see how it turns out before getting to enthused!:winkgrin:

Cheers

Darryl 

Hi Darryl,

Very good masking work, you must have taken a long time to do it, and had a lot of patience.
Personally I like another type of camo, but when we are weathered, the tone can vary a lot.
I used at least two types of "snow" for my Panther, although I don't remember exactly the products at this time.
Cheers mate 👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Darryl,

Very good masking work, you must have taken a long time to do it, and had a lot of patience.

Hi Francis, you'd be surprised how quick you can blue-tac / mask a JP when needs must. Mask and spray, dry, mask again and spray the rotbraun. All done in one sitting on a Sunday morning. Bizarre what can be achieved when modelling angrily!:wacko:

Cheers

9 hours ago, flashlight said:

Darryl, the camo looks very good, it'll look even better after treatment with washes and filters - you will see!

Have a nice day

Nick

Thanks Nick, sure it will come together with a bit of....subtle weathering / throwing as many washes, filters, pigments and mud at it as possible!

Cheers

Thanks for sparing the time to look in and comment. 

Darryl

• Like 1

Gloss coated, halfords rattle can, before commencing with initial weathering stages; AKs dark brown wash for yellow vehicles, then Mig rain Mark's followed by an overall covering of very thin Tamiya buff.

Once dry started to apply initial dark brown chipping followed by graphite pencil to the most worn edges.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next job must inevitably be a little mud etc on lower hull, behind the wheels, fit the wheels themselves and then, the dreaded kit supplied tracks....

In the mean time all the tools etc need prepping and painting 

Once assembled the final weathering can take place.

Darryl 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, flashlight said:

Hi Darryl, very well done! The tank looks amazing now!

Have a nice day

Nick

Thanks Nick, very kind of you to say so.

25 minutes ago, Soeren said:

The weathering definitely changes the appearance a lot. I can see now that the orange is much less vibrant and looks ok to me.

Thanks, it has been toned down some what with the weathering.

Thanks again, looking forward to trying a bit of mud on this one, more in keeping with late 44 early 45.

Cheers

Darryl 

Hi Darryl......that does look the biz now you have started the weathering, nice chipping and scratch work. I agree with Soeren, toned down orange does look the part.

We should all learn to not feel "loud" camo is out of character for the Axis......far from it.

Simon.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Darryl......that does look the biz now you have started the weathering, nice chipping and scratch work. I agree with Soeren, toned down orange does look the part.

We should all learn to not feel "loud" camo is out of character for the Axis......far from it.

Simon.

13 hours ago, Red Five said:

Looking good. Keep it up. Looking forward to seeing the finished article. 

Thanks, whilst its not just what I had in mind initial its growing on me. The buff filter has helped tie everything together and once it's got all its "trimmings" on it'll look just fine...

In some ways that's why I enjoy doing a few German ones,  the variety of camouflage

Fancy trying a small base for it once done, i have a practice one on the go for the Otter at present, however figures are proving tricky and I dont think Acrylics are ideal for it.

Thanks again

Darryl 

I find acrylics ok for 1/35th just multiple thinner layers in slightly different shades tends to work for me. Also I'm going to invest in some scale 75 artists acrylics. Spoke to a few guys at a show and they loved them. They behave more like oils but dont take as long to dry. Might as well try. 

11 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I find oils are the best Darryl for figures. I paint the main colours in acrylics and then the shading and detail in oils as it doesn't dry fast and easy to blend with white spirit dampened brush etc.

Simon.

11 hours ago, Red Five said:

I find acrylics ok for 1/35th just multiple thinner layers in slightly different shades tends to work for me. Also I'm going to invest in some scale 75 artists acrylics. Spoke to a few guys at a show and they loved them. They behave more like oils but dont take as long to dry. Might as well try. 

Thanks chaps, I sprayed the figures, after a black base,  then tried highlighting from above with a lightened shade followed by a dark brown wash (mig, for green vehicles but I wont tell them if you don't). The detail in acrylic is a pain, so thanks for the suggestion, next time I'm somewhere that might stock artists supplies I'll see what I can pick up and give it a go.

Cheers

Darryl